Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dia Dhuit!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Knowing he was from Offaly narrows it down. Are there any details about him on your birth cert, e.g. occupation, place or date of birth?
    Any update, Arthur?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Those of you with forebears from Offaly (aka Uibh Fhaili, aka Kings County) should be aware that gentlemen from the area are known affectionately as 'Biffos.' Googling this term is often a helpful shortcut in tracing heritage.
    Last edited by an capall; 23rd May 2019 at 8:32 AM.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    Those of you with forebears from Offaly (aka Uibh Fhaili, aka Kings County) should be aware that gentlemen from the area are known affectionately as 'Biffos.' Googling this term is often a helpful shortcut in tracing heritage.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Stop it, Al.

I've recently heard a report from my beloved mum Margaret that my grandfather, (Gerry's father), was a very important man in politics, Apparantly Gerry uttered something before he dissapeared. I couldn't say what exactly, because it could put my life in danger.
    Last edited by Marb; 23rd May 2019 at 9:10 AM.

Thanks
    It's cute that the newly found brethern dont yet understand that if two or more of my parents generation knew of a character's surname and the side of a county from which they were 'rared', they would be able to track them down and give a full rendition of his/her ancestry for hours. In fact, its how many of the older folk entertain themselves at weddings/funerals etc. Welcome to Ireland.
    Last edited by HawkWing; 23rd May 2019 at 12:31 PM. Reason: clarity

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HawkWing For This Useful Post:

Marb (23rd May 2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yeah,

I've booked my ashes for a special place in Offaly. Good riddance to (about 97.5 percent) of the British Middle Classes and all their heroes to boot.

Margaret Pyne, Jane Garfield and the lady who now runs Marylebone Police Station.
    I know you'll never forget me.

I've made many points, hurt many ego's, and showed what talent I had for the past 33 years.

God bless the British, god bless them.
    Last edited by Marb; 23rd May 2019 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    A bastardward they said, but I disagreed.

Even if I was, I was still their Bastardward, afterall.
    Last edited by Marb; 23rd May 2019 at 1:29 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    Any update, Arthur?
    Do you know your father's date of birth, or even a rough idea of when it might have been?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Nah. He was about 30 years old according to mum, Grey. That's it. That would mean he was born about 1954/1955 (ish) as I was born in 1985.

I have to say, if he left because he didn't want to pay child maintainance then I wouldn't want to meet him anyway.

There's also a possibility that if he came from a Catholic family in Southern Ireland then having a baby to a Protestant woman in England might have got him in major trouble.

I'm not that desperate to know, I just thought it was strange that he never even came back to the flat he knew I lived, right opposite the entrance to Highgate Cemetery, since I was born.

He used to drink in a pub called the Archway Tavern, which is where my mum met him. He always had a lot of Irishmen with him.

Apparantly they used to walk round the pub with tins, saying 'collecting for Sinn Fein'.

Just saying what I've been told.
    Last edited by Marb; 31st May 2019 at 3:11 PM.

Thanks
    To give you an idea of the numbers, Marble.

In the 1911 Census, which is available online, there were 290 McCormacks in Kings County (tne pre-independence name for County Offaly). The numbers in 1956 would have been lower if anything because the population of the country as a whole was decreasing during that period.

So if your information is correct, your father can only have been one a few dozen male McCormacks born in that county in the 1950s. And if his name really was Gerard McCormack there can only be literally a handful at most.

Feel welcome to PM me if you would like to try and take this further.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I appreciate your help, Grey. It has been an awful long time. I'll have a think about it.