Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lovely Listowel 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lovely Listowel 2018

The 160th Listowel September Festival today could be likened to John B Keane's The Field.
    As the runners were in the parade ring for "The Sky Sports Racing Launching in 2019 Handicap" none other than Rishi Persad was interviewed by racecourse interviewer while less than twenty feet away stood Gary O'Brien of ATR ready to instruct Chris Hayes on Ibsen in the race.
    Rishi is on a fact finding trip to the Irish racecourses before RUK "Best Of Britain and Surrounding Islands " 2019 season.
    Rishi The Conqueror was bowled over by his Irish welcome, having been bought a G n T in J B Keane's bar while locals enquired whether he was related to This year's Rose Of Tralee.
    Significantly this marks the 60th anniversary of Prince Monolulu's appearance at Listowel Harvest Festival, as it used to be branded.
    By the look of Gary O'Brien, his only regret was the absence of the "Throwmedownsomethings!' as he may have thrown Persad in .

Thanks
    This is a good read in today's Irish Independent:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/hor...-37299152.html

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grey For This Useful Post:

Desperate Dan (11th September 2018), edgt (11th September 2018), Perpetual (11th September 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Listowel is there to be enjoyed and also a sign that it's coming, our famine is ending
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    And here's another Listowel story from today's paper. I haven't seen the photo in question, but presumably any resemblance to Slim Chance is entirely coincidental:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...eque-1.3624287
    Last edited by Grey; 11th September 2018 at 1:19 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Grey For This Useful Post:

JJ. (12th September 2018)

Thanks
    Rogue Angel won the Kerry Nash in heavy ground under 10st 4lb in 2015, with 3lb claimer Ger Fox on board. Urano, a short head back in second carried 10st 8lb.
    It was heavy again in 2016 when Wrath of Titans won carrying a featherweight of 9st 3lb. The placed horses carried 9st 6lb and 10st 3lb.
    10st, 9st 8lb and 9st 13lb were the weights carried by the front three home last year, again in heavy ground.

This is an especially tough race for horses carrying weight and for that reason I've taken Ladbrokes 15/1, 4 places about Timiyan, who's set to carry 9st 10lb with the useful Darragh O'Keeffe's claim, is trained by Elliott and has winning form both at the course and on heavy going.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post
    Rogue Angel won the Kerry Nash in heavy ground under 10st 4lb in 2015, with 3lb claimer Ger Fox on board. Urano, a short head back in second carried 10st 8lb.
    It was heavy again in 2016 when Wrath of Titans won carrying a featherweight of 9st 3lb. The placed horses carried 9st 6lb and 10st 3lb.
    10st, 9st 8lb and 9st 13lb were the weights carried by the front three home last year, again in heavy ground.

This is an especially tough race for horses carrying weight and for that reason I've taken Ladbrokes 15/1, 4 places about Timiyan, who's set to carry 9st 10lb with the useful Darragh O'Keeffe's claim, is trained by Elliott and has winning form both at the course and on heavy going.
    Very much with you on Elliott's horse but will also persevere with Snow Falcon in the hope that he can jump better than in the Plate when he finished like a train.

Thanks
    I had Timiyan on my short list but ruled him out because of the going. Other than winning a very poor maiden 2mile hurdle I couldn't find a lot evidence that he acted on testing ground. Ive ended up going for a boring e/way bet on Rogue Angel at 8/1. Good luck and lets hope the light weights hit the frame this year also.
    Last edited by frontrunner; 12th September 2018 at 9:35 AM.

Thanks
    I hear what you're saying about his hevay ground win coming in a poor race frontrunner but my thinking was that he at least proved he handled it and I'm hoping poor conditions emphasise the need for the light weight.

Oscar Knight I saw as the main danger.

Thanks
    I'm happy to take a little bit on trust at 14/1 with 5 places.

Thanks
    I hear what you're saying about his hevay ground win coming in a poor race frontrunner but my thinking was that he at least proved he handled it and I'm hoping poor conditions emphasise the need for the light weight.

Oscar Knight I saw as the main danger.
    Its a cert now that Thunder and Roses bounces back to form and wins ( Elliot trained , loves the going, lightweight and all time low mark )

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivantheterrible View Post
    Very much with you on Elliott's horse but will also persevere with Snow Falcon in the hope that he can jump better than in the Plate when he finished like a train.
    Well done Ivan the T. Squeaky bottom in the last 100 yds methinks.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    Well done Ivan the T. Squeaky bottom in the last 100 yds methinks.
    Still squeaking...

Thanks
    Disgraceful from Patrick Mullins in the bumper. Deserves a good ban for that.
    Last edited by Bonjers; 12th September 2018 at 6:27 PM.

Thanks
    Very well done Ivan.

Good job as Timiyan’s race was over at the first fence.

Thanks
    Very well done Ivan.

Good job as Timiyan’s race was over at the first fence.
    Cheers.

Saturnas, who I liked early on over hurdles, also one to take out of it I would have thought for staying trips.

Finished v strongly.

Thanks
    She's a crazy price today, but Supreme think Shanning is definitely ahead of her mark and will come on for the Galway run. Should go close but not a betting proposition for me

Thanks
    Just realised Archie is involved in Shanning, so best of luck sir and no need to be a betting proposition with the prize money on offer

Thanks
    I’ve known Archie for around 40years and hope all horses he has a stake in do well and am pleased when they do. However I’ve had a worthwhile ew bet on David’s Charm at 8’s and 9’s that necessitated using irregulars and so l’m hoping that Shanning wins in the unlikely(?) event David’s Charm does not.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I was hoping Listowel or Hamilton would save the day but alas it's just as bad as the rest of the shyte we have to put up with on the flat day after day...The next 4 flat races have about 70 runners of horses who's names I recognize about 2. Is this supposed to be fun???
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Go to bed you miserable ****.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......