Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road to the 2019 Champion Hurdle

Thanks
    And I imagine that's the last time we see him over hurdles.

Thanks
    I backed against Samcro with the wrong one.

Thanks
    3/1 on the Buv gonna look very good now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    He is either useless or 10 canters short of a gallop getting beat by I'm only there for the bear candidate
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Didn't see that coming but while all the talk will obviously be of Samcro, full credit to Iain Jardine. This guy's a serious trainer and while not many UK trainers elect to send horses over he's nicked a nice couple of scalps there, and nearly 30k to boot.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauto Abu View Post
    3/1 on the Buv gonna look very good now.

Was never any other way.I couldn't even imagine Samcro running in the CH...Melon yes but not him he's a stayer IMO
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    now is the time to lump on Samcro
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Exactly. One judges Grade 1 horses in Grade 1 races.

Thanks

The Road to the 2019 Champion Hurdle

I most certainly wouldn’t be lumping on a horse where there’s now a very distinct possibility his next racecourse outing could be over fences and up in trip.

Samcro is still a brilliant horse, he just needs to be given the right opportunity to show it.

Last edited by Kauto Abu; 2nd November 2018 at 3:49 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post

it's great that Lemmings will jump the ship but if you like this horse take advantage of today
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonjers View Post
    And I imagine that's the last time we see him over hurdles.
    morgiana still the plan

Thanks
    Morgiana next for Samcro. Against Apple's and Supasundae, could be a cracker.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    He's 5/1 and that's a stinker of a price after a flat performance like that.

Horse was travelling ok but when asked to quicken some way out he found nothing.

It wasn't like he quickened as you would expect and then weakened he struggle to even put a length between him and a tiring horse.

Plus as the winner went past him his head went up which is something you don't want to see in a Champion Hurdle prospect.

Time will tell but he might not be anywhere near as good against seniors as he was against the kindergarten mob.

Don't know how many times I've said it on here but the jump from top Novice to CH is like trying to jump the grand canyon on a pushbike
    Formely Fist of Fury

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanlic For This Useful Post:

Marb (2nd November 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post

Horse was travelling ok but when asked to quicken some way out he found nothing.

It wasn't like he quickened as you would expect and then weakened he struggle to even put a length between him and a tiring horse.

Plus as the winner went past him his head went up which is something you don't want to see in a Champion Hurdle prospect.

Time will tell but he might not be anywhere near as good against seniors as he was against the kindergarten mob.

Don't know how many times I've said it on here but the jump from top Novice to CH is like trying to jump the grand canyon on a pushbike
    Clockwatchers creaming their jeans over it.

Just finished first time out 5l in front of a race fit 155 rated Galway Hurdle winner giving him 8lb in a very sharpish time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post

Good post

Today was too bad to be true. He'll have another day and be race fitter for the morgiana.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    His first time on grass since he came back in training according to Gordon.
    Bound to come on but two miles may be too sharp for him in the big league.

Thanks

The Road to the 2019 Champion Hurdle

One thing for sure. If Samcro stays over hurdles you can be dam sure Elliott will have some type of hare to take them off like the clappers next time out and bring Samcro’s stamina into pace because to be successful over 2m in top class company he’ll need that. He doesn’t have that instant change of speed a Buveur D’Air has or a Hurricane Fly had off any type of a gallop. It’s all grand doing it against deadwood in bumpers over 2m and even in the Deloitte he beat stayers. But it’s twice now in G1 open company he’s failed to win and really disappointingly today he failed to pick up. Imagine what The Buv would’ve done to Bedrock or Sharjah today! Bridle job.

If you were a Samcro fan you’d have to bitterly disappointed with that today. It’s even puzzling that he’s still shorter than Melon

On a line through Wicklow Brave you can tie Bedrock into last years Champion Hurdle form. Bedrock beat a fit Wicklow Brave by 5L in the Horse & Jockey Hotel Hurdle at Tipperary. Buveur D’Air beat WB by 20+ lengths in last years champion.

Last edited by Kauto Abu; 3rd November 2018 at 12:12 AM.

Thanks
    Morgiana will see one of Willie's big guns out. Won't be the mare so one of Faugheen or Melon

Thanks
    should be Melon and i'd expect Hattons Grace for Faugheen

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauto Abu View Post
    On a line through Wicklow Brave you can tie Bedrock into last years Champion Hurdle form. Bedrock beat a fit Wicklow Brave by 5L in the Horse & Jockey Hotel Hurdle at Tipperary. Buveur D’Air beat WB by 20+ lengths in last years champion.

Wicklow Brave is an inconsistent hound over hurdles, and just about the last horse you would want to ‘yardstick’ handicap a race, I reckon. Don’t think that comparison tells us anything at all, to be honest, KA.

As far as Samcro is concerned, it’s too early to be writing him off as a CH hope. Whilst disappoinment is natural at the time, a cooler assessment suggests his performance was actually quite handy, given the weight concession to a hard-fit, mid-150s animal - albeit one that was short of what would be needed to win a Champion Hurdle.

As it stands, Buveur D’Air supporters are possibly justified in feeling they have nothing to worry about from Samcro. Boov is already established as a Champion, is almost certainly more of a true 2-miler than Samcro, and has the required level of form in the bag.

But equally, it’s too early for Samcro supporters to be slitting their wrists. He has Grade 1 winning form over 2m, won a Bumper on G/Y (and is probably ground agnostic), and a true-run race - something his owners can almost certainly ensure - will place the emphasis on stamina. There are reasons for optimism - especially if Down Royal was basically just a straightener for Punchestown.

But Samcro needs to go very close in the Morgiana.

I hope he does, as it would make the Champion Hurdle a much more compelling race this year, than it has been recently, if he can quickly get his season back on the rails......and the lustre of the race would be enhanced further, if Laurina can add her name to the mix too.

I have a feeling that trying to concede her 7lbs, might prove a tall order for any horse, in the coming season.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 4th November 2018 at 10:57 AM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018