Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road to the 2019 Champion Hurdle

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    They eventually let Annie have her day
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Samcro being aimed at this.

Thanks
    It did seem to be going that way.

I'd prefer if he went chasing but it adds intrigue to the CH field which has depth in potential now
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Madness unless they plan to try the Gold Cup in his novice chasing season. I wonder if his schooling has been moderate.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Madness unless they plan to try the Gold Cup in his novice chasing season. I wonder if his schooling has been moderate.
    i really think it's just that elliott is so desperate for the trainers title and gigi have taken his lead on it, nothing more to it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    I suspect you may have hit the nail on the head.

Thanks
    So much for O’Leary’s talk of anything bar chasers being mickey mouse races. Makes for an intriguing champion hurdle. Let’s hope they all get there in one piece. Be great seeing Samcro, Laurina & Melon battle it out here while the Buv sits on a sun lounger at seven barrows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Your faith in Boov is admirable, Kauto.......but I confess I find such confidence a little surprising, given his all-out scramble to reel-in the rather ordinary Melon.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    So now we wait and see when Laurina and Samcro can finally clash - will it be Leopardstown at dec or Feb

Lets also see if the 2 British horses head to Newcastle

Thanks

The Road to the 2019 Champion Hurdle

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Your faith in Boov is admirable, Kauto.......but I confess I find such confidence a little surprising, given his all-out scramble to reel-in the rather ordinary Melon.
    Grassy, it’s not to hard to put your faith in a 2 time champion hurdler and multiple G1 winner. However, I don’t think BD was anywhere near his best last March and it was interesting to hear his trainer confirm my thoughts with his similar viewpoints in a recent stable tour. Do bear in mind that BD next door neighbor, We Have A Dream, missed Cheltenham with a high temperature and was moved out of the yard on the morning before the champion hurdle. It’s wouldn’t be at all surprising to suggest BD might have been brewing something himself.

Also, contrary to most people’s beliefs, it’s my opinion that Buveur D’Air is much more effective on a better surface as was shown when he left them all for dead in his first champion hurdle win. And that Champion Hurdle has worked out way better than anyone gave it credit for.

I walked the track last March on the Monday and the amount of false patches of ground up the straight and down the back was shocking. You would literally sink at times. Sure it was heavy and he handles that but this was dodgy ground. His hurdling was no where near as fluent as previous races, he missed at least 3 hurdles on the way around. For a horse like BD, who can crank up the gears in a matter of strides, that ground goes against his strengths. Altior was similar in that it took him an age to warm up to the task of accelerating.

Even with that, I’m no so sure BD was even “all out” as you describe. Geraghty hit him 4 slaps of the whip after the last hurdle, the first 150 yards from the winning post and the horse instantly replied, this after an all out gallop ensured by Charli Parks. It was the first proper race BD had all year and he passed it with flying colours.

A true champion.

Last edited by Kauto Abu; 29th October 2018 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    So now we wait and see when Laurina and Samcro can finally clash - will it be Leopardstown at dec or Feb

Lets also see if the 2 British horses head to Newcastle
    i think mullins will pitch melon up against him initially as a sighter. see how he does against the more experienced hurdler and go with slower approach for the filly. i don't think we'll see her in open company till at least after the new year.

Thanks
    I think you are probably right James

Melon is a fair yardstick in fairness to him

I would hope tho that by xmas they will put her in a G1 either over here or at Kempton

Thanks
    Last year Buveur was the best hurdler around, but not by very much.

In the Champion Hurdle it was the same ground for all of them, Melon included, and were it not for the fact Melon is completely gutless the result would have been different. I don't buy a simple assertion that Buveur wasn't at his best on the day, Champion Hurdle day is the target of the whole season and everything possible is done to get horses there in peak condition. Let's not forget, he was well enough to win the race.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauto Abu View Post
    Grassy, it’s not to hard to put your faith in a 2 time champion hurdler and multiple G1 winner. However, I don’t think BD was anywhere near his best last March and it was interesting to hear his trainer confirm my thoughts with his similar viewpoints in a recent stable tour. Do bear in mind that BD next door neighbor, We Have A Dream, missed Cheltenham with a high temperature and was moved out of the yard on the morning before the champion hurdle. It’s wouldn’t be at all surprising to suggest BD might have been brewing something himself.

Also, contrary to most people’s beliefs, it’s my opinion that Buveur D’Air is much more effective on a better surface as was shown when he left them all for dead in his first champion hurdle win. And that Champion Hurdle has worked out way better than anyone gave it credit for.

I walked the track last March on the Monday and the amount of false patches of ground up the straight and down the back was shocking. You would literally sink at times. Sure it was heavy and he handles that but this was dodgy ground. His hurdling was no where near as fluent as previous races, he missed at least 3 hurdles on the way around. For a horse like BD, who can crank up the gears in a matter of strides, that ground goes against his strengths. Altior was similar in that it took him an age to warm up to the task of accelerating.

Even with that, I’m no so sure BD was even “all out” as you describe. Geraghty hit him 4 slaps of the whip after the last hurdle, the first 150 yards from the winning post and the horse instantly replied, this after an all out gallop ensured by Charli Parks. It was the first proper race BD had all year and he passed it with flying colours.

A true champion.

Just to give you some context, as it appears to be lost on you, Buveur D’Air has beaten a grand total of three horses who have won an all-aged G1 hurdle at 2-miles; Faugheen, Petit Mouchoir and Mick Jazz.

He’s never beaten any genuinely top-class at 2-miles other than Faugheen (who was a light of former glories at the trip), and indeed was beaten the only time he ran against truly top-class hurdlers at 2m, in the shape of Altior and Min.

You backed him at 33/1 for his first Champion Hurdle. We get it. But calling BDA a “true champion” dilutes the value of the phrase, when set against the vastly superior achievements of horses like Hurricane Fly.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 29th October 2018 at 1:55 PM.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    I got a tingle when I saw hurricane mentioned again

Let's hope they don't cotton wool Buv and not send him to Newcastle if they don't fancy the opposition

Thanks
    Just to give you some context, as it appears to be lost on you, Buveur D’Air has beaten a grand total of three horses who have won an all-aged G1 hurdle at 2-miles; Faugheen, Petit Mouchoir and Mick Jazz.
    I think you may add Irving a winner of the Fighting Fifth hurdle at Newcastle, Yanworth who won a Christmas Hurdle at Kempton and Wicklow Brave who won a Punchestown Champion Hurdle, to that list too Mr. hopper.

Thanks
    Race of the festival if they all turn up. Expect Laurina in the Mares and one of the others to get injured though.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauto Abu View Post
    I think you may add Irving a winner of the Fighting Fifth hurdle at Newcastle, Yanworth who won a Christmas Hurdle at Kempton and Wicklow Brave who won a Punchestown Champion Hurdle, to that list too Mr. hopper.

Noted, and I’ll concede this.

Not entirely certain if this helps your argument, mind!

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks

The Road to the 2019 Champion Hurdle

Noted, and I’ll concede this.

Not entirely certain if this helps your argument, mind!
    And just for more good luck Identity Thief also won a Fighting 5th.

Why wouldn’t it help it. You said he’d only beaten 3 G1 2m horses and I’ve just given you 4 more on top of it.

Might I be so bold to add in My Tent or Yours who also won a Grade 1 Xmas Hurdle. That makes it 8 different 2mile G1 winners he’s beaten.

Jesus the list is growing by the minute. Remind me never to hire you as a researcher Grassy.

A true back to back champion.

Last edited by Kauto Abu; 29th October 2018 at 2:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There was I about to miss Champion Hurdle Day; Must have a rethink.
    I imagine Gordon has gone out on a limb with this call as Giggi prefer chasers.
    I sincerely hope Samcro lives up to Gordon's expectations as I would not like to be in his shoes if it does not work out.
    Just wondering if any bookies are refunding bets placed ante post on Samcro for Festival Novice chases, especially given announcement was made on Betfair blog. Some promo for the 50 Euro or so involved.