Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road to the 2019 Champion Hurdle

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRB View Post
    did similar with annie

might be a chance for one more run before march but if she does go CH suspect she goes there unexposed and as a completely unknown quantity having beaten nothing of note
    According to O’Sullivan a win tomorrow & it’s straight to the Champion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauto Abu View Post
    According to O’Sullivan a win tomorrow & it’s straight to the Champion.

WOW if true - talk about going in at the deep end
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    If she doesn't run again before March, that race will have some unknown element to it and she will probably go off the jolly
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Against a dual Champion Hurdler!! You’re joking right?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Will Boov go to Sandown for the Contenders Hurdle, or is it straight to Cheltenham?
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Buv goes for the contenders again.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kauto Abu For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (5th January 2019)

Thanks
    Laurina going straight to the Champion would certainly add to the anticipation.
    If she is as good as Annie Power was then she will win. That is the question!
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks

The Road to the 2019 Champion Hurdle

On Racing TV Ruby seemed fairly surprised, as he was being interviewed by Nick Luck, when Mullins said she’d go straight there over the PA system. He said something like “wait ‘til I get my hands on him” or something like that as well as “never listen to Willie immediately after a race” so not sure if he feels she’s still novicey.

He also pressed him on soft ground issue because of her knee action.

Last edited by Kauto Abu; 5th January 2019 at 5:03 PM.

Thanks
    Against a dual Champion Hurdler!! You’re joking right?

willie/ruby roll and remnants of Kempton

Sure she will be the talk of preview nights

It wouldn't shock me
    Last edited by granger; 5th January 2019 at 7:53 PM.

Thanks
    get the feeling Laurina could be a special mare, but 2m on ground that isn't soft and the way she jumps hurdles would definitely give me pause for her in a champion hurdle. no guarantees it won't be soft though and a faster pace could see her jump them slicker.

ultimately though i'm more keen to see her over a fence.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRB View Post
    get the feeling Laurina could be a special mare, but 2m on ground that isn't soft and the way she jumps hurdles would definitely give me pause for her in a champion hurdle. no guarantees it won't be soft though and a faster pace could see her jump them slicker.

ultimately though i'm more keen to see her over a fence.
    This is what adds to the anticipation. A completely different test awaits.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    On Racing TV Ruby seemed fairly surprised, as he was being interviewed by Nick Luck, when Mullins said she’d go straight there over the PA system. He said something like “wait ‘til I get my hands on him” or something like that as well as “never listen to Willie immediately after a race” so not sure if he feels she’s still novicey.
    Yes, I heard that but was in the room next door so wasn't sure I'd heard it clearly.

It certainly sounded like he was, if not pouring cold water on the idea, certainly lukewarm to the idea.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    From OH's Blog - ATR:
    "I suppose with Buveur d’Air being outspeeded at Kempton, that Samcro, who he readily outpaced at Newcastle in the Fighting Fifth, was found out in what developed into a speed test at Leopardstown three days later should not have been such a shock, though to many it was".

Kevin Blake also agrees with my contention; that the RyanAir Hurdle wasn't run at much of a pace, and that Samcro wasn't really ridden to win.
    No surprise should connections find nothing physically wrong with him, and he duly takes his chance in the Champion Hurdle.

Thanks
    The bit where you believe Kevin Blake to have said that Samcro wasn't ridden to win is in your head only.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Kevin Blake re Samcro

" The run of Samcro back in fifth is one that perhaps prompted the most discussion. Sent off at 6/4 despite having been blown away by Buveur D’Air in the Fighting Fifth Hurdle, he jumped better than ever and travelled up menacingly to challenge in between the final two flights, but he finished very weakly to be beaten by 7¾ lengths. There have been many different opinions put forward about the run, but for me it was indicative of a horse that has something amiss with him.
    While he looked to be well exposed in the Fighting Fifth and his novice hurdle form may not be as good as many viewed it at the time, for him to finish so weakly after jumping and travelling as well as he did was too bad to be true. While a switch to fences, softer ground and/or a longer trip may all prove suitable for him in the fullness of time, right now he just doesn’t look to be firing for whatever reason. It will be fascinating to see what his connections choose to do with him next."

Thanks

The Road to the 2019 Champion Hurdle

In my opinion something was clearly amiss with Samcro at Christmas. He was given every opportunity to win but he couldn’t even beat Tombstone and having beaten Sharjah by 5L at Down Royal giving him 8lbs he was now 8L behind him off level weights. He stopped like a light at Leopardstown, I wouldn’t be surprised if the tinker with his wind but it’s a bit far fetched to suggest he wasn’t ridden to win.

I actually think Buveur D’Air probably came back too soon at Kempton off the back of his seasonal reappearance at Newcastle and possibly even bounced at Christmas. He put up a super performance at Newcastle, a career best according to ratings at only 75% fitness. Three weeks later then he lines up in the Xmas hurdle giving a very talented mare 7lb in her optimum conditions and goes down a head. The mistake 3 out certainly didn’t cost him the race and nine times out of ten he’d have gotten away with it but VB is a very good mare.

A nice break until the contenders where he’ll stroll around and then all roads will lead to Prestbury Park for three in a row.

Last edited by Kauto Abu; 6th January 2019 at 11:45 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Kevin Blake re Samcro

" The run of Samcro back in fifth is one that perhaps prompted the most discussion. Sent off at 6/4 despite having been blown away by Buveur D’Air in the Fighting Fifth Hurdle, he jumped better than ever and travelled up menacingly to challenge in between the final two flights, but he finished very weakly to be beaten by 7¾ lengths. There have been many different opinions put forward about the run, but for me it was indicative of a horse that has something amiss with him.
    While he looked to be well exposed in the Fighting Fifth and his novice hurdle form may not be as good as many viewed it at the time, for him to finish so weakly after jumping and travelling as well as he did was too bad to be true. While a switch to fences, softer ground and/or a longer trip may all prove suitable for him in the fullness of time, right now he just doesn’t look to be firing for whatever reason. It will be fascinating to see what his connections choose to do with him next."
    Harumph !!!
    From KB's Blog - ATR: Over at Leopardstown on Saturday, the Ryanair Hurdle did produce an easy winner that could potentially be a contender for the Champion Hurdle, but it was a race that left more questions than answers. A steadily-run contest, it produced a comfortable winner in the shape of the Willie Mullins-trained SHARJAH. He hasn’t had much of a break since making a winning hurdling debut in late-September 2017, this having been his 12th start over hurdles.
    Last edited by reet hard; 6th January 2019 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Harumph !!!
    From KB's Blog - ATR: Over at Leopardstown on Saturday, the Ryanair Hurdle did produce an easy winner that could potentially be a contender for the Champion Hurdle, but it was a race that left more questions than answers. A steadily-run contest, it produced a comfortable winner in the shape of the Willie Mullins-trained SHARJAH. He hasn’t had much of a break since making a winning hurdling debut in late-September 2017, this having been his 12th start over hurdles.
    How do you marry “a steadily run contest” with “not being ridden to win”. He made all at Newcastle and got picked up in a matter of strides. Different tactics at Christmas obviously.

Ideally Petit Mouchoir would’ve made all at a good clip but it was his first run back off a lay off so that was never going to happen.

Thanks
    Newcastle wasn't strongly run either, so no surprise he was picked up by the speedier BD.
    Connections made the point beforehand that Samcro would need a strong pace, hence the presence of 2 (ostensible) pacemakers. That they weren't doing that job was obvious from some way out, so you'd expect a horse of his profile and pedigree to try and force the pace from that point on. That he didn't was plain to see; the inference being he was in the race for not much more than a 'looksee'.
    Last edited by reet hard; 6th January 2019 at 1:41 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The Delottie blows that theory right out the window as it was run at a slowish pace and Samcro quickened up like a good horse.

Personally I was far from impressed by his Neptune win him wandering about like a big baby and was very harsh about his defeat first time up so I have never been his biggest fan.

I did say "too much too soon" somewhere along the line might be the case and then I read something about him missing the season but to be honest I am not up to date.

That's due to the fact I wouldn't have him on my mind for the next 12 to 24 months for Cheltenham.........he looks like shell shocked kid to me who needs time

I still see Melon as the biggest danger ....Laurina has too much to prove IMO
    Formely Fist of Fury