Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Faugheen won at Punch with a tennis ball type lump growing in him

I couldn't love him any more
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks
    PFN on Danny Kirwan -

He will go novice hurdling next month. He is a nice horse but is really a big chasing horse who will want a bit of time.

Translation - he is slow and cost us a fkn fortune - Hopefully the owners will settle for a staying handicap chaser in time
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post

he has a hell of a lot of promising young horses

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    PFN on Danny Kirwan -

He will go novice hurdling next month. He is a nice horse but is really a big chasing horse who will want a bit of time.

Translation - he is slow and cost us a fkn fortune - Hopefully the owners will settle for a staying handicap chaser in time
    Cruised past Pym pretty comfortably on debut. He says that with just about every horse he's got, they're all bought to be chasers.

Thanks
    Gordon Elliott

Getting chinned by Willie Mullins in the trainers' championship should not define what Gordon Elliott achieved last season.

The campaign may have ended in heartache for Elliott once again but there was no shortage of success stories to console him.

There were the eight Cheltenham Festival winners, the joint-highest in the history of the March meeting. Or how about the 13 Grade 1s in all. And how could you forget the pint-sized Tiger Roll leaping his way to Grand National glory at Aintree. General Principle mopped up the Irish Grand National for him too and we haven't even got to the exploits of Samcro yet.

You sense Samcro is the horse who has given Elliott most pleasure in the last 12 months. There was intense pressure heading into the Cheltenham Festival and the fact Elliott had drawn a blank on the opening day intensified that tension.

Samcro lived up to the hype by bagging the Ballymore and he now looks to be Ireland's leading Champion Hurdle contender, unless of course connections decide to send him over fences.

Whatever decision is made, Samcro is sure to be one of the most talked about horses of the season.

"Last season was brilliant. To have eight winners at Cheltenham was incredible really. Our whole season is about Cheltenham. Everything I do centres around Cheltenham so to have eight winners there was magic," Elliott says.

He adds: "We have an exciting team of horses this season but we wouldn't mind a bit of rain so we can get them all started. Down Royal early next month is the meeting where I like to start a lot of my good horses so hopefully we get a bit of rain before then."

There was an unusually slow start to the campaign. So often he is like a rocket out of the blocks and it is Mullins playing catch-up but this time around the roles are reversed after a bout of summer sickness descended on the camp.

"I missed six weeks. The horses were not right and we took a pull. I needed to do the best by the horses but by shutting up shop for two weeks we lost six weeks as the horses did absolutely nothing for a fortnight and then it took a few weeks to get them back to where they were at. It was the right thing to do, though, and they are back firing on all cylinders now," he said.

Has the dream of becoming Ireland's champion trainer for the first time been dashed already?

"It won't happen this year but I am 40 years of age and it might happen some year. We are getting better quality animals into the yard and that is what matters," comes the reply.

There is quality everywhere you look in Cullentra House. Samcro might be the star striker on the team but there are potential goalscorers in every stable. Exciting times these.
    Stable profile

Yard Cullentra House Stables
    Where Longwood, County Meath
    Started training June 2006
    Horses in yard 200
    Members of staff 50
    Head lad Simon McGonigle
    Assistant trainers Ian Ammond, Davy Condon, Keith Donoghue
    Feed man and head work-rider Shane McCann
    Barn leaders Katie Young, Eleri Apps, Cossie McGivern, Georgie Benson, Seainin Mahon, Catriona Bolger, Jack Madden, Bobby McNally
    Travelling head lass Camilla Sharples
    Assistant travelling heads Mary Nugent, Barney Flood
    Secretaries Alex Hutter, Leanne Halton, Lisa O’Neill
    Account manager Conor McCafferty
    Jockeys Davy Russell, Jack Kennedy, Keith Donoghue, Mark Enright
    Conditionals Conor Orr, Liam McKenna
    Amateurs Lisa O’Neill, Jamie Codd, Kevin Brogan
    Stable sponsor Betfair

WINNERS IN IRELAND

2017-18 210
    2016-17 193
    2015-16 123
    2014-15 92
    2013-14 56

PROFIT/LOSS TO A £1 STAKE

2017-18 -£287.03
    2016-17 -£285.47
    2015-16 -£285.93
    2014-15 -£126.35
    2013-14 -£102.86

PRIZE-MONEY 2017-18

€5,158,751

A Toi Phil
    Eight-year-old gelding
    Day Flight (sire) - Lucidrile (dam)
    Owner: Gigginstown House Stud
    Form figures: 21423-6
    Racing Post Rating 162c, 152h Official Rating: 156c, 146h
    He always gets himself out of trouble by winning one or two every year. He's probably not a Grade 1 horse but he'll mop up a few Grade 2s and 3s as he's always done. He's paid his way for the last few years and I'd imagine he'll do that again. He's a good, fun horse to have about the place.

Abacadabras
    4g Davidoff - Cadoubelle Des As
    Gigginstown House Stud
    Unraced
    He's a half-brother to a winner in France. He's been working nicely and will be ready to start off in a bumper in the next few weeks.

Allee Bleue
    8g Mount Nelson - Murrieta
    Adrew Cohen
    773326-
    RPR 141h, 124c OR 126h, 116c
    He's arrived from Philip Hobbs and he looks like he could be well handicapped to me. We're just waiting for a bit of rain to get him going and I've been very pleased with what he's showing me so far.

Alpha Des Obeaux
    8g Saddler Maker - Omega Des Obeaux
    Gigginstown House Stud
    4646F-5
    RPR 170h, 161c OR 151h, 154c
    He could end up in the Grand National. Mouse [Morris] did a wonderful job with him and the horse probably just wanted a change of scenery more than anything. I was pleased with his run in the Munster National and all roads will hopefully lead to Aintree.

Ange D'Or Javilex
    8g Puit D'Or - Ixia De Menil
    Thomas R Coleman
    3P6/07/0/
    RPR 124h, OR 109h
    He hasn't been the easiest to train and he's been off for a long time but he's actually been doing one or two nice bits of work lately.

Anytime Now
    6g Beneficial - Rag's Lady
    Allan Snow
    RPR 123h OR 112h
    He won his bumper by a wide margin at Kilbeggan and has been a bit frustrating since. He's definitely up to winning a maiden hurdle before the winter horses come out.

Apple's Jade
    6m Saddler Maker - Apple's For Ever
    Gigginstown House Stud
    1/11133-
    RPR 162h OR 158h
    She'll go an identical route to the one she took last year. She'll start off in the Lismullen Hurdle at Navan and then on to Fairyhouse for the Hatton's Grace, a race she won so impressively last year. She kept coming into season during the second half of last season but we think we've rectified that issue now. She's absolutely bombing at home at the moment and the OLBG Mares' Hurdle at Cheltenham is once again the ultimate aim.

Authorizo
    3g Authorized - Street Lightning
    Gigginstown House Stud
    34-13 (Flat form)
    Handled deep ground when he won at Cagnes-Sur-Mer in January. He's schooled nicely and will go for a juvenile hurdle once we get a bit of rain.

Baby Twig
    7m Network - Natty Twigy
    Philip J Reynolds
    1/
    RPR 115b
    She got a leg after she won her bumper by a wide margin in Punchestown around this time two years ago. She's back now and working away nicely. She's a nice mare and jumps particularly well.

Ball D'Arc
    7g Network - Pretty Moon
    Gigginstown House Stud
    33/31U5-
    RPR 149h, 162c OR 140h, 157c
    Has thrived since we sent him over fences but hurt himself when favourite at Naas in February and it will probably be Christmas by the time we get him out. He always pays his way.

Ballydunblaze
    4f Arcadio - Classy Conflict
    John Lane
    RPR 96b
    We'll look for a winners' bumper for her in the coming week. She got the job done nicely at Navan and has come on for it too.

Baltazar D'Allier
    7g Malinas - Kinoise D'Allier
    JP McManus
    12F/
    RPR 144h OR 140h
    We're looking forward to getting this fella back out. He won his maiden hurdle at Naas like a nice horse and was second in the Challow at Newbury on New Year's Eve. He then fell at Navan and has had time off since.

Battleoverdoyen
    5g Doyen - Battle Over
    Gigginstown House Stud
    1/ (point form)
    A lovely, big horse who won his point-to-point at Loughanmore with a bit up his sleeve. He had a little setback last season and we never got to run him but he's ready to rock in a bumper as soon as we get a bit of soft ground.

Batts Rock
    5g Fastnet Rock - Be My Queen
    Noel Moran/Mrs Valerie Moran
    A useful stayer on the Flat who was a bit unlucky at Punchestown last Wednesday as the winner ran right across him at the last. Should have little difficulty picking up a maiden hurdle on nice ground.

Ben Dundee
    6g Beneficial - Miss Dundee
    C Jones
    162000-
    RPR 140h OR 133h
    He's a bit better than his form. He's been a bit unlucky. He's going over fences and you'll see him sooner rather than later.

Best Of Dubai
    6m Dubai Destination - Second Best
    Lucky Shoe Part Three Syndicate
    3422-31
    RPR 103b
    She won a bumper the other day at Galway and has never run a bad race for us. She'll head for a maiden hurdle now in the next few weeks.

Black Tears
    4f Jeremy - Our Girl Salley
    Mrs Caren Walsh & John Lightfoot
    2122-
    RPR 110b
    This filly is nice. She got a bit of a cut after Punchestown in April but she's back cantering now and hopefully you will see her this side of Christmas. She already has black type.

Bless The Wings
    13g Winged Love - Silva Venture
    Adrian Butler/S P O'Connor
    P1FP34-
    RPR 133h, 152c OR 120h, 137c
    He's been some servant. He was third in the Grand National and hopefully he might end up back there next April. We'll take the cross-country route with him again and I have the Pardubicka at the back of my mind for him.

Blow By Blow
    7g Robin Des Champs - Shean Rose
    Gigginstown House Stud
    161147-
    RPR 152h OR 150h
    He's ready to go and it will be novice chasing for him. He looks like a big winter horse who should relish deep ground but arguably his best form is on better ground. The RSA or National Hunt Chase is where we would like him to end up.

Boot Camp
    5g Milan - Derravaragh Native
    Gigginstown House Stud
    RPR 134h, 129c OR 130h
    I liked the way he got the job done at Limerick. That was his first start over fences and we'll look for a winner of one for him now.

Brelade
    6g Presenting - Polivalente
    DP Sharkey
    243725-
    RPR 145h, 143c OR 139h, 139c
    He got a bad cut in the Scottish Champion Hurdle and it has taken a while to get him back. He doesn't have enough confidence over fences so we're going to aim him at the Greatwood at Cheltenham's November meeting.

Campeador
    6g Gris De Gris - Royale Video
    JP McManus
    4F/F/1F3-
    RPR 154h OR 150h
    He has a hell of a lot of ability and shows us an awful lot at home. He had a couple of silly falls to his name which didn't help his confidence. He is back cantering away now and always works well.

Carter McKay
    7g Martaline - Saxona
    Pearl Bloodstock Ltd
    06/1330-
    RPR 140h OR 138h
    We have had him about six weeks or so. If you look at some of his best form you would imagine he will develop into a nice, staying novice chaser.

Cats For Cash
    4g Mahler - Harvard Girl
    Liam J Clancy
    RPR 89b
    Should come on for his debut second in a Down Royal bumper and we'll look for something similar soon.

Champagne Classic
    7g Stowaway - Classical Rachel
    Gigginstown House Stud
    321311/
    RPR 153h OR 151h
    He's got some very, very good form. He's certainly surprised us. He shows us nothing at home. You would like to think that chasing will bring out the best in him and he's ready to go over fences now. I'm very happy with where he is at the moment.

Chief Justice
    3g Acclamation - Freedom Pass
    Cheveley Park Stud
    RPR 120h
    He's done nothing but improve since arriving here. He was impressive at Listowel and Gowran Park. He only does what he has to do. We'll put him away for the thick of winter when the ground gets too deep and maybe have a go at the Fred Winter.

Race in focus

I was watching the Pardubicka the other day on the television and I thought to myself 'that's a race I would love to have a good at next year.' Maybe something like Tiger Roll or Bless The Wings might be suited to it. It would be some buzz to have a runner in that.

Coeur Sublime
    3g Elusive Pimpernel - Love Knot
    Chris Jones
    1 (Flat form)
    I'd say this fella is a fair horse. He beat Southern France in a Navan maiden last April and that form doesn't look too bad now, does it? He'll start off in a juvenile hurdle as soon as we get a bit of rain. I can't wait for that.

Column Of Fire
    4g Robin Des Champs - Ghillie's Bay
    Gigginstown House Stud
    2-
    RPR 119b
    He chased home Commander Of Fleet in the Land Rover Bumper at Punchestown. He's got very strong over the summer and will start off in a bumper in a week or two.
    Dark horse

Commander Of Fleet
    4g Fame And Glory - Coonagh Cross
    Gigginstown House Stud
    1-
    RPR 132b
    You'd have to love the way he won the Land Rover Bumper at Punchestown. He's strengthened up a lot over the summer and the plan has always been for him to start off in a maiden hurdle at Down Royal early next month.

Commentariolus
    4g Frankel - Apsara
    M Booth & Miss Rachael Evans
    13-5
    RPR 120h OR 124h
    A son of Frankel who hasn't been the easiest to train. He shows us plenty in his homework. We will be on the lookout for a winners of one hurdle race for him over the next few weeks.

Cool Getaway
    6g Getaway - Coolnacarriga
    JP McManus
    1/ (Point form)
    Won a point at Tattersalls for Stuart Crawford back in November 2016 and the form of that has worked out very well. He'll start off in a maiden hurdle soon and seems nice.

Count Simon
    4g Rip Van Winkle - Wedding Cake
    Mrs P Sloan
    RPR 128h OR 124h
    He wasn't a bad juvenile and he'll probably head to Down Royal for the valuable 2m handicap hurdle.

Cracking Smart
    6g Great Pretender - Maya Du Frene
    Gigginstown House Stud
    21/1122-
    RPR 153h OR 150h
    This is a smart horse. He could be a proper 3m staying chaser. He got a little chip which kept him out of Cheltenham but he's back cantering now and you'll hopefully see him this side of Christmas. He's a horse we like a lot here.

Creadan Belle
    5m Vinnie Roe - Aliceaneileen
    James W Power
    RPR 88b
    She's not the biggest mare you'd ever see but she's got a massive heart and she tries hard. Hopefully she can pick up a bumper.

Cubomania
    5g Halling - Surrealism
    Cubomania Syndicate
    52-16113
    RPR 117h, 139c OR 114h, 132c
    A cracking syndicate horse, a real money-spinner. He's a model of consistency, is versatile and we'll continue to vary it with him.

Dakota Moirette
    5g Voix Du Nord - Rahana Moirette
    Gigginstown House Stud
    700/337-
    RPR 114h, 126c OR 122h
    Might be better than his form suggests and you'll see him in a beginners' chase in the coming weeks.

Daylight Katie
    5m Bonbon Rose - Sirani
    David Dunsdon
    F/1- (point form)
    She won a Lisronagh point for Aidan Fitzgerald and has been showing me decent things at home. She'll be ready to go in a bumper in about three weeks.

De Plotting Shed
    8g Beneficial - Lady Willmurt
    Ives Ashley Vasey Partnership
    2P-F444
    RPR 153h, 140c OR 143h, 140c
    He shows a lot more at home than he's been showing on the track of late. He's frustrating. We're thinking of sticking to hurdles for the time being anyway and there's a handicap hurdle at Navan next month that we're thinking of for him.

Defi Bleu
    5g Saddler Maker - Glycine Bleue
    Gigginstown House Stud
    18-
    RPR 119h
    A nice horse who won a Navan bumper before we threw him in at the deep end in a Grade 2 hurdle at Naas in February. A maiden hurdle at Down Royal early next month is on his agenda now.

Star quality

Delta Work
    5g Network - Robbe
    Gigginstown House Stud
    324312-
    RPR 150h OR 152h
    I'm really looking forward to seeing this fella over a fence. He could be a lovely staying novice and it was always in my head to start him off in a beginners' chase at Down Royal early next moth but we will need some rain for that to happen.

Destin D'Ajonc
    5g Martaline - Fleur D'Ajonc
    JP McManus
    1/6360-
    RPR 135h OR 133c
    He has bits and pieces of form but was disappointing at Fairyhouse in April and needs to bounce back from that.

Diamond Cauchois
    7g Crillon - Diamond Turtle
    Danny & Eamon Partnership
    313126-
    RPR 155h OR 150h
    He brings home a cheque every day he runs and I love that about horses. We will keep him over hurdles and you could see him end up in the Boyne Hurdle later in the season, he won that nicely last year and seems to love Navan.

Diamond Turf
    5g Diamond Boy - Lovely Turf
    Gigginstown House Stud
    31-
    RPR 114b
    A big staying chaser in the making. He made big improvement from Limerick to win by a long way at Navan and the plan is to start him off in a maiden hurdle very soon once the rain finally arrives.

Dinaria Des Obeaux
    5m Saddler Maker - Indiana Jaune
    Gigginstown House Stud
    461325-
    RPR 134h, 139c OR 131h, 140c
    She has a smashing season last term. She won three times over fences and really took to it. Mares chases will be her bread and butter.

Dinons
    5g Balko - Beni Abbes
    T O'Driscoll
    3F1111
    RPR 145h OR 135h
    Needs a trip and nice ground. He won four on the bounce over the last few months and we're bringing him over to Cheltenham this week for a novice hurdle.

Doctor Phoenix
    10g Dr Massini - Lowroad Cross
    Nick Bradley Racing Club
    0112F5-
    RPR 131h, 166c OR 133h, 156c
    He's probably not quite a Grade 1 horse so we will aim him at Grade 2s and 3s over two miles. If he has as good a season as he had last year then we would be thrilled.

Don Poli
    9g Poliglote - Dalamine
    Gigginstown House Stud
    32/3P23/
    RPR 153h, 168c OR 152h, 161c
    Back in mighty form. He was absolutely flying before the Gold Cup in 2017 and unfortunately got a leg. He's back bouncing now and we're heading to Down Royal for the JNwine.com Champion Chase.

Dona Katharina
    4f Stowaway - Western Whisper
    Edward M Walsh
    RPR 90b
    She has a good pedigree. She's a sister to Outlander and should be up to winning a bumper in the coming months.

Dortmund Park
    5g Great Pretender - Qena
    Gigginstown House Stud
    611481-
    RPR 152h OR 148h
    We haven't made up our minds whether to go chasing or stay over hurdles with him for another year. He's only five but is every inch a chaser when you look at him. He finished last year on a high and has summered well.

Dounikos
    7g Smadoun - Baby Sitter
    Gigginstown House Stud
    114PPP-
    RPR 124h, 155c OR 121h, 150c
    He could tailor-made for the Troytown at Navan next month. His form fell apart in the second half of last season but he is still a Grade 2 winner over fences and is a lot better than his form says.

Duca De Thaix
    5g Voix Du Nord - Nouca De Thaix
    Gigginstown House Stud
    16090-2
    RPR 142h, 129c OR 132h
    He works like a very, very good horse at home but he's disappointed us. I was happy with the way he jumped at Punchestown on Tuesday and he'll come on for that.

Edene D'Arc
    4f Meresca Sorrento
    Kenneth Alexander
    13-
    RPR 112b
    A nice mare who we're waiting on a bit of soft ground for to run her in a maiden hurdle. She won a bumper at Gowran which worked out well.

Elwood
    4g Martaline - Robbie
    Gigginstown House Stud
    644-1
    He's a brother to Delta Work who came from France and works nicely. He's nice and just needs a bit of rain.

Empire Burleque
    6g Cape Cross - Mowazana
    Gigginstown House Stud
    1/9-
    RPR 117b
    We decided to take him out of a maiden hurdle at Punchestown on Wednesday as we felt the ground was a shade too quick for him. He's working well.

Dark horse

Envoi Allen
    4g Muhtathir - Reaction
    Cheveley Park Stud
    1- (point form)
    A gorgeous horse we like. He looked good when he won his point at Ballinaboola. He's doing everything right at home and he'll start off in a bumper as soon as the ground comes right.

Enzani
    7g Cape Cross - Eytarna
    Shane Reville
    72/2/11-7
    RPR 119h OR 116h
    A good, fun horse who will pay his way over hurdles in the coming months.

Everybreathyoutake
    4g September Storm - Ashdale Lark
    Neville Reid
    P2
    RPR 96b
    Improved at Roscommon and is up to winning a bumper. Doesn't want real deep, winter ground.

Falak
    5g Teofilo - Family
    Bredan Scully
    52S-013
    RPR 124h OR 122h
    He's having a break at the moment but will be back for the spring festivals.

Farclas
    4g Jukebox Jury - Floriana
    Gigginstown House Stud
    2215-
    RPR 149h OR 152h
    I know he won the Triumph Hurdle last year but I think he needs a trip and we'll be trying him over further than two miles this season. He's had a wind operation and we hope to start him off this side of Christmas, but I'm convinced he wants a trip.

Feel My Pulse
    4g Stowaway - Zenaide
    Gigginstown House Stud
    1- (point form)
    Won his point at Lismore by a long way and looks a nice prospect. We'll start him off in a maiden hurdle sooner rather than later. He's ready to go.

Dark horse

Felix Desjy
    5g Maresca Sorrento - Lamadoun
    Gigginstown House Stud
    1165-
    RPR 135b
    He qualifies for some of the valuable novice hurdles and we could aim him for the final of that. He's a very nice horse and could develop into a Supreme Novices' contender once he learns to settle.

Final List
    4g Doyen - Lady Goldilocks
    Gigginstown House Stud
    5-
    RPR 101b
    He was fifth in a Punchestown bumper but he's got very strong over the summer and is a nice horse going forward.

Flat To The Max
    3g Maxios - Another Name
    Gigginstown House Stud
    U
    A three-year-old we got off Ger Lyons. He unseated Jack [Kennedy] at the first at Ballinrobe but that was out of character as he jumps very well at home.

Flawless Escape
    5g Sagamix - Sainte Kadette
    T O'Driscoll
    12130-
    RPR 138h OR 133h
    This guy has got seriously strong over the summer. I like him. We're going to go novice chasing with him and he should do well at that game. He'll probably start off over 2m4f but will get 3m no problem.

Folsom Blue
    11g Old Vic - Spirit Leader
    Core Partnership
    144140-
    RPR 154h, 148c OR 128h, 145c
    He was very unlucky in the Irish Grand National and the plan is to run him in what used to be the Fixed Brush Hurdle at Haydock on Betfair Chase day.

Fury Road
    4g Stowaway - Molly Duffy
    Gigginstown House Stud
    41 (point form)
    Won his point at the second time of asking quite easily at Dromahane and he's another ready to run in a bumper once the rain arrives.

General Principle
    9g Gold Well - How Provincial
    Gigginstown House Stud
    470461-
    RPR 142h, 146c OR 132h, 144c
    Irish Grand National winner who is going to be very hard to place now. I suppose we'll aim him at the Grand National in Aintree this time and he could start off in the Troytown at Navan and run in all those valuable staying chases along the way to Aintree.

Getaway John
    5g Getaway - Present Your Own
    John F Doyle
    3/2110-
    RPR 136b
    He wasn't right at Punchestown but he was very good at Fairyhouse when he won a proper bumper. He's been schooling nicely and you'll see him in a maiden hurdle soon. He's nice.

Glenloe
    7g Kayf Tara - Mandys Native
    JP McManus
    5/22325-
    RPR 146h OR 142h
    Went very close in the Pertemps Final at Cheltenham. He could develop into a nice staying chaser this season.

Grand Mogul
    4g Presenting - Oligarch Society
    John Lightfoot
    4-
    RPR 106b
    He'll be up to winning a bumper as soon as we get a bit of rain. He's come forward since finishing fourth in a bumper at Punchestown.

Great Vizier
    3g Sir Percy - Special Green
    Simon Munir & Issac Souede
    629- (Flat form)
    Schooling well and doing everything I have asked of him. He will go for a juvenile maiden hurdle once we get rain.

Grotesque
    7g Kayf Tara - Princess Timon
    Gigginstown House Stud
    21/60/33-
    RPR 121h OR 116h
    I would say he's well enough treated to win a few handicap hurdles before going chasing.

Hardline
    6g Arcadio - Hidden Reserve
    Gigginstown House Stud
    31138-1
    RPR 140h, 139c OR 140h
    I loved the way he won at Fairyhouse. The second is a good horse. He could be even better over fences than he was over hurdles and we'll have to step him up in class now.

High Expectations
    7g High Rock - Tashifiya
    MJ Wasylocha
    1P-4521
    RPR 133h OR 128h
    Has a good strike-rate and always wins the races he should be winning, as he showed when getting up late to score at Sedgefield. He'll mix and match between Flat and hurdles. He's a good, fun horse to have around the place. You can bring him anywhere.

Holy Motivation
    5m Kalanisi - Teffia Rose
    Pioneer Racing
    RPR 105h OR 95h
    She's been placed on her last couple of runs and hopefully she'll get off the mark sooner rather than later.

Invincible Cave
    5g Court Cave - Bespoke Baby
    Gigginstown House Stud
    14-
    RPR 116b
    Bit disappointing at Naas having won his bumper at Navan but I do think he's a nice horse and will appear in a maiden hurdle soon.

Isle Of Destiny
    5m Gold Well - Young Amelie
    John F Doyle
    RPR 115h OR 105h
    You would have to be a little disappointed with the way she ran at Cork on Sunday, but she's better than that. I loved her attitude at Hexham when she won the time before and I'm sure we will find a suitable race for her, perhaps on the other side of the water.

Its All Guesswork
    6g Mahler - La Lambertine
    Philip J Reynolds
    4-3221F
    RPR 128h, 131c OR 124h, 130c
    He would have been placed in the Munster National only for coming down at the last. He was a bit sore after it so we'll give him a bit of time to recover. He could pick up one of those nice staying handicap chases, maybe something like the Troytown at Navan would suit. He won his beginners chase there.

Jury Duty
    7g Well Chosen - Swan Heart
    Sideways Syndicate
    U3-3721
    RPR 150h, 157c OR 147h, 152c
    We couldn't have asked much more from him on Saturday night. We thought he would be the ideal type for the American Grand National and he proved just that. He was a high-class hurdler but he has progressed into an even better chaser and hopefully someday he might be the sort of horse who would suit an Aintree National.

Kuiper Belt
    4g Elusive Quality - Youre So Sweet
    Melissa Margolis
    RPR 122h OR 123h
    Was a little disappointing at Punchestown on Wednesday but he's had some summer and won loads of races. He won't race through the winter but could go for a handicap at Cheltenham if he gets in.

Kuraka
    4g Cacique - Puzzling
    Susan Frost & Mrs Caren Walsh
    23316-6
    RPR 115h OR 119h
    He's won two for us. He got a little setback in the summer but he's back working now and we'll find a little hurdle for him somewhere.

Lackaneen Leader
    6m Oscar - Shandora
    Mrs Caren Walsh & Grant Mercer
    21112P-
    RPR 137h OR 133h
    Didn't do a whole lot wrong last year and she's going over fences now. She has the size and scope to do well chasing.

Larquebuse
    4f Saddler Maker - Sirene Du Rheu
    Cheveley Park Stud
    1 (point form)
    Won her point at Durrow nicely for Colin Bowe. She is a big, strong mare we like and you'll see her in a bumper this side of Christmas.

Last Minute Man
    6g Yeats - Ella Watson
    Paul & Clare Rooney
    1/22-0
    RPR 121h
    A nice horse and you can forget his run at Clonmel in the summer when he wasn't right. He's a nice horse who's up to winning a maiden hurdle.

Lethal Steps
    3g Lethal Force - Tanda Tula
    Cheveley Park Stud
    54-45040 (Flat form)
    A nice juvenile to go hurdling with, he's rated 102 on the Flat. He jumps really, really well and we like what we've seen from him so far.

Rival to watch
    Willie Mullins. He has caught me late for the last two seasons but we had a slow start this season so I have no chance of winning the title. What can you say about the man? He is a legend.

Make My Heart Fly
    6m Stowaway - Poppy Maroon
    Twenty Syndicate
    RPR 130h, 114c OR 130h
    A star through the summer. She won four in a row and acquitted herself very well in a Listed event at Gowran. She'll mix it between chases and hurdles.
    Dark horse

Malone Road
    4g Kalanisi - Zaffarella
    Cheveley Park Stud
    1 (point form)
    There was a lot to like about the way he won his point at Loughanmore for Stuart Crawford. This fella could be a seriously nice horse. We like him a lot.

Master Of Tara
    5g Kayf Tara - Ryme Bere
    Gigginstown House Stud
    61-
    RPR 127b
    An imposing individual we like. He'll start off in a maiden hurdle very soon and I'm looking forward to it.

Star quality

Mengli Khan
    5g Lope De Vega - Danielli
    Gigginstown House Stud
    11RO233-
    RPR 151h OR 150h
    He was one of our leading novice hurdlers last season and he goes chasing now. I like what I've seen of him schooling so far. He's not slow so we'll probably keep him to two miles with the Arkle being the ultimate aim next March.

Minellafordollars
    6g King's Theatre - Another Dollar
    JP McManus
    1/31-
    RPR 136h
    He's back cantering away and is a nice horse to be heading into the winter months with as he handles deep ground really well.

Miss Aloud
    4f Azamour - Key Stage
    Oghill House Stud Limited
    RPR 102b
    You cannot fault her consistency in bumpers and surely one will come her way in the coming weeks.

Missy Tata
    6m Astarabad - Queen Running
    Simon Munir & Isaac Souede
    4/11111/
    RPR 144h OR 145h
    She's back cantering away and it's great to have her back around the place. She's a classy mare who will head over fences once we get a bit of rain. She gives you everything.

Mitchouka
    4g Creachadoir - Minaloushe
    Gigginstown House Stud
    1P26-F5
    RPR 140h, 123c OR 140h
    He had jumped brilliantly before he fell at Gowran Park, which was an awful pity. That seemed to affect his confidence at Punchestown but hopefully we can get him back on track.

Monbeg Notorious
    7g Milan - Borleagh Princess
    Gigginstown House Stud
    211182-
    RPR 138h, 155c OR 132h, 151c
    He looks an ideal type for the Grand National at Aintree. He won the Thyestes in real heavy ground at Gowran and loves those testing conditions.

Monbeg Worldwide
    6g Lucarno - Molly Duffy
    Gigginstown House Stud
    111/23-5
    RPR 128h
    He got incredibly tired at Tipperary last week and he'll come on a ton for that. It goes without saying he's better than the bare form of that and you should see a different horse next time.

Monkshood
    6g Stowaway - Flirthing Around
    Gigginstown House Stud
    1/1145U
    RPR 136h OR 136h
    He's better than you have seen so far. He had an operation on his back for kissing spines but he's back cantering away now and we're looking forward to sending him over fences.

Moonlight Escape
    5m Court Cave - Festival Leader
    F Donnelly
    1U9-015
    RPR 122h, 125c OR 118h
    She's a grand, honest mare who should do better over fences than she did over hurdles.

HORSE TO FOLLOW

Dortmund Park
    Winner of both his bumpers and a three-time winner over hurdles last season, this five-year-old ended his campaign with a ten-length win in a Grade 1 novice over 2m4f at the Punchestown festival. There was an element of good fortune involved, to the margin of victory if not the result, as two of the leading contenders were knocked out of the race two out. However, the son of Great Pretender looks the type who should take well to fences and should enjoy a successful campaign in staying novice chases this season.
    Tony O'Hehir

Ned Stark
    10g Wolfe Tone - Last Moon
    Noel Moran/Mrs Valerie Moran
    68P52/0-
    RPR 119h, 147c OR 124h, 130c
    He's been a long time off the track but he's got a big engine and could be well handicapped. He's on the teamsheet for the Troytown at Navan.

Noble Endeavor
    9g Flemensfirth - Old Moon
    C Jones
    P54136/
    RPR 151h, 160c OR 145h, 154c
    The long-term plan for him is the Grand National at Aintree. He hasn't run since the Irish National in 2017 as he chipped a bone but he's back now and will tip away in handicap chases this season. He's got some really good form.

Ocean Voyage
    3f Most Improved - Minshar
    Arion Racing Club
    142-06 (Flat form)
    A nice dual-purpose filly who we'll go juvenile hurdling with soon.

Our Father
    12g Shantou - Rosepan
    Ives & Johnsons Partnership
    59U/92/0
    RPR 147h, 154c OR 130c
    He never let himself down on the ground at Limerick in the Munster National. He works well at home so we'll have another go at one of those nice staying handicap chases.

Out Sam
    9g Multiplex - Tintera
    D Charlesworth
    9/06P33-
    RPR 140h, 151c OR 127h, 132c
    We have him pencilled in for the Cork National so that's where he'll go. He has some good back form and might not be badly treated if we can get him back to his old self.

Outlander
    10g Stowaway - Western Whisper
    Gigginstown House Stud
    32PP8-2
    RPR 147h, 170c OR 145h, 161c
    He owes us nothing. He's won ten times and I was thrilled with his run in the Grade 3 at Punchestown the other day. He is entered in the JNwine.com Champion Chase, a race he beat Road To Respect in last year, so he deserves a shot in that.

Pallasator
    9g Motivator - Ela Athena
    Qatar Racing Limited
    54115-
    RPR 151h OR 147h
    He did nothing but improve last season and won the Grade 2 at Fairyhouse over Easter. He seems in great nick and we might even try him over fences.

Penny Jane
    6m King's Theatre - Shannon Rose
    Paul & Clare Rooney
    2231-11
    RPR 118h, 122c OR 124c
    I was absolutely thrilled with her win at Cork and Denis [O’Regan] gave her a terrific ride. That's the way she likes to be ridden. She has taken really well to fences and she should continue to progress. Hopefully we can find something for her at the spring festivals.

Poli Roi
    6g Poliglote - Belle Du Roi
    Gigginstown House
    215P85-
    RPR 136h OR 133c
    He didn't really live up to expectations after winning his maiden hurdle at Down Royal around this time last year. We're sending him over fences and hopefully that will spark a revival.

Poormans Hill
    7g Stowaway - Sharps Express
    Vincent Caldwell & Mrs Kathleen Caldwell
    161P7-4
    RPR 124h, 133c OR 119h, 130c
    He's won eight races for us now and kept improving all last season. We've had the Cork National in mind for him for quite a while so it's all systems go for that now.

Portnablagh
    5m Well Chosen - Countess Trifaldi
    Gigginstown House Stud
    10-
    RPR 104b
    She's a great big galloping mare who loves soft ground. We're looking forward to her going over the hurdles and winter conditions will really suit.

Prince Of Scars
    8g Flemensfirth - Spirit Leader
    Gigginstown House Stud
    3/236P3/
    RPR 163h, 139c OR 150h, 139c
    He is a dual Grade 1 winner who has had plenty of problems. He is back cantering away and is ready to return this side of Christmas. He likes winter ground and we'll look for a nice chase for him somewhere.

Rakhine State
    5g Arakan - Oiselina
    Armagh Bhoys Partnership
    32464-
    RPR 118h
    He has been placed in a few bumpers and hopefully we can spot a nice opportunity for him somewhere in a maiden hurdle.

Rogue Angel
    10g Presenting - Carrigeen Kohleria
    Gigginstown House Stud
    PP2-136
    RPR 135h, 150c OR 135c
    He tanked through the Kerry National and they probably didn't go quick enough for him at Limerick and it didn't really turn into a test. Hopefully he can land a big pot at some stage this season.

Star quality

Samcro
    6g Germany - Dun Dun
    Gigginstown House Stud
    1/1111F-
    RPR 159h OR 160c
    We're really looking forward to getting him started. He's got a lot stronger over the summer and will definitely return at Down Royal – whether that's in the WKD Hurdle or the beginners chase over 2m4f I'm not 100 per cent sure yet. I'll have a chat with Michael and Eddie [O'Leary] over the next few days and we'll make a decision together. He didn't do much wrong last year, his only blip came at Punchestown and that could happen to any horse. Everyone knows what I think of him and hopefully he can continue to show everyone how good he is.

Santana Plessis
    4g Saint Des Saints - La Passeroie
    D Charlesworth
    3-
    RPR 115b
    Third to Commander Of Fleet – one of ours – in a Punchestown bumper. He's a nice type who looks up to winning a bumper.

Star quality

Shattered Love
    7m Yeats - Tracker
    Gigginstown House Stud
    RPR 141h, 159c OR 136h, 153c
    We knew she would do better over fences than she did over hurdles but I suppose we never thought she would win two Grade 1s and be a Cheltenham Festival winner. In saying that, I did really fancy her for the JLT and I actually put her up at a few Cheltenham preview nights I was on. We'll start her off in the chase for second-season novices at Down Royal next month and what she does there will probably decide what path we take with her. She probably needs to improve a bit to be a Cheltenham Gold Cup contender but it's not out of the question.

Silver Star
    5g Silver Frost - Suerte
    Royal's & Blue Syndicate
    Silver Star
    RPR 126h OR 119h
    Really consistent sort who will hold his own in his own grade.

Sire Du Berlais
    6g Poliglote - Royale Athenia
    JP McManus
    130/248-
    RPR 144h OR 142h
    The best of his form is quite useful. He was fourth in the Martin Pipe at Cheltenham and he's not a bad sort.

Smiling Eliza
    3f Rock Of Gilbraltar - Gift Dancer
    Gordon Elliott Racing Club
    RPR 112h
    She keeps winning. The plan is to go to Aintree with her now for a mares' Listed hurdle and try pick up some black type.

Soldier At War
    4g Soldier Hollow - Sag Sun
    Gigginstown House Stud
    2- (point form)
    Second to Malone Road in a Loughanmore point and looks suite useful. He's ready to start off in a bumper soon and has had a wind operation.

Sometime Soon
    5g Shantou - Back Log
    Gigginstown House Stud
    1345-2
    RPR 119h
    His jumping was a bit novicey at Fairyhouse last time and it might not be the worst thing in the world that he was beaten as we would have had to go straight for a graded race.

Space Cadet
    8g Flemensfirth - Shuil A Hocht
    C Jones
    9342PP-
    RPR 134h, 136c OR 122h, 135c
    There could be a big day in this fella and he'll run in all those valuable staying handicap chases.

Squouateur
    7g Martaline - Samansonnienne
    JP McManus
    6303BP-
    RPR 141h, 141c OR 141h, 138c
    It hasn't happened for him so far but it will happen for him some day. He's been frustrating but his luck has to change. There's a nice pot in him.

Star Maker
    4g Mastercraftsman - Snoqualmie Star
    Thomond Racing Syndicate
    43-6619
    RPR 116h OR 117h
    He's coming along nicely and I think he can win again before the real winter stuff starts.

Stooshie
    5g Fracas - Misty Native
    Mrs Caren Walsh & John F Doyle
    2513-32
    RPR 130h OR 128h
    I thought he ran well the other day at Punchestown and there will hopefully be a nice handicap in him somewhere along the way.

Sunsetstorise
    10g Millenary - Otorum
    Mrs Finola Murphy & Mrs Ann Marie McManus & Mrs Tahnee Grant
    4P1/125-
    RPR 128c, 120h OR 124c, 102h
    We took him out of a race at Cork on Sunday because the ground was a little on the quick side. I have no doubt he will pay his way in 2m Handicap chases when there is a bit more cut in the ground.

Sutton Place
    7g Mahler - Glebe Beauty
    JP McManus
    1/11P/1P-
    RPR 161h, 141c OR 158h
    He has missed a bit of time but we are looking forward to getting him back on the right road. He is a nice horse and we have yet to decide what route we are going to take with him.

Swingbridge
    10g Milan - Creative Approach
    Noel Gerard Moran
    F-041361
    RPR 118h, 133c OR 109h, 124c
    A very consistent sort who might go to Cheltenham at the end of the week for a handicap chase.

Synopsis
    6m Azamour - Censored
    David Spratt & Kevin McMunigal & Mary Hopkins
    70123-6
    RPR 126h, 120c OR 124h, 123c
    A useful enough mare who did well over hurdles and didn't take long to win over fences. She will probably mix and match between handicap hurdles and chases.

Takeittothelimits
    6m Stowaway - A Plus Ma Puce
    JP McManus
    112/
    RPR 107b
    She is ready to in in a maiden hurdle once we get a bit of rain. She won her first two bumpers and was second in a Listed bumper at Gowran but she has had her fair share of problems since. It'll be good to get her back.

Thatsy
    4g Martaline - Rainallday
    Gigginstown House Stud
    12- (point form)
    A big, strong, staying sort who won his point at Lingstown for Donnacha Doyle. We'll pop him into a bumper as soon as we get a bit of rain.

The Big Lense
    5g Court Cave - Megans Joy
    JP McManus
    63-816
    RPR 121h OR 117h
    He got the job done nicely in a maiden hurdle at Bellewstown and hopefully there is more to come. He won a point at Cragmore a few years ago so he could develop into a nice chaser.

The Storyteller
    7g Shantou - Bally Bolshoi
    Mrs P Sloan
    137151-
    RPR 148h, 161c OR 142h, 155c
    Did us proud last year, winning at Cheltenham and then landing a Grade 1 at Punchestown, although I think we all know he was very lucky there given what happened to Al Boum Photo. He could be tricky enough to place this year but he'll definitely start off in the chase for second-season novices at Down Royal next month and we'll take it from there

Thisonesforollie
    6m Scorpion - Toniberoli
    B Mannion & Brendan O'Grady
    69-4811
    RPR 100h OR 90h
    I've got a great kick out of her winning her last few races. I still think she's quite well handicapped and could win a few more. She's improving fast.

Tiger Roll
    8g Authorized - Swiss Roll
    Gigginstown House Stud
    P/2P511-
    RPR 150h, 160c OR 140h, 159c
    He's absolutely bouncing, you wouldn't believe how well he is in himself. He's loving life. It takes some horse to win at three Cheltenham Festivals and then a Grand National. I suppose we'll go down a similar route to last year. We'll keep him to cross-country races. He's still only eight and we could get a couple more years out of him doing that job if we mind him.

Timber House
    6g Golden Lariat
    Gigginstown House Stud
    4F1 (point form)
    A nice type of horse who won his point at Ballysteen in April and will start off in a bumper very soon.

Timiyan
    7g Ghostzapper - Timarwa
    John P McManus
    F-61D07
    RPR 139h, 143c OR 132h, 132c
    He was unlucky to be disqualified at Kilbeggan during the summer. He lost his confidence after an early mistake at Limerick last time. Hopefully we can get him right for the Troytown at Navan.

Tintangle
    5m Yeats - Connaught Hall
    Gigginstown House Stud
    4113-
    RPR 116b
    She's a grand mare who we're looking forward to running in a maiden hurdle. She should have a good season ahead. She has ability and should have a good season ahead.

Tombstone
    8g Robin Des Champs - Connaught Hall
    Gigginstown House Stud
    3626-51
    RPR 153h, 153c OR 143h, 144c
    We thought the world of him early on and he has been a bit frustrating as we all know what he's capable of. It was great to see him get his head back in front the other day at Limerick and that will do his confidence the world of good. We'll mix and match it between hurdles and fences.

Ucello Conti
    10g Martaline - Gazelle Lulu
    Simon Munir & Issac Souede
    24U/2PU-
    RPR 127h, 153c OR 139h, 147c
    He'll go hunter chasing and run in cross-country races. He should be a good, fun horse. It's unbelievable that he has yet to win a race for us.

Viscount Wilson
    3g Lethal Force - Highland Starlight
    J A Mooney & Raymond Moore Jnr & Raymond C Moore
    RPR 97h
    Not a bad sort on the Flat for Ger Lyons and he will come on for his first start for us over hurdles at Down Royal.

Vision D'honneur
    4g Vision D'Etat - Hembra
    Gigginstown House Stud
    He won in France and he looks like he could be a proper horse. We like the look of what we've seen so far.

Western Honour
    6g Westerer - Cailins Honour
    Cheveley Park Stud
    844-4
    RPR 113h OR 112h
    Arrived from Jimmy Moffatt's and hopefully there will be a handicap hurdle in him off his mark. They will have plenty of fun with him.

Westland Row
    6g Oscar - Presenting Proform
    Mrs Caren Walsh & John F Doyle
    221010-
    RPR 133h OR 129h
    He might jump a fence sooner rather than later but he'll pay his way over hurdles too.

Woods Well
    7g Fleetwood - Millbrook Marble
    Gigginstown House Stud
    5P5P6-1
    RPR 136h, 139c OR 134h, 133c
    He showed a good attitude to win at Galway the other day and he will be part of my Troytown team.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wilsonl For This Useful Post:

Diamond Geezer (22nd October 2018), granger (23rd October 2018), luckyme (23rd October 2018), Perpetual (22nd October 2018)

Thanks
    He also has a promising youngster called Fidji Emery amongst a few others

Thanks
    And hopefully another one in Ferocious, who was the smallest, weediest (new word in English language ) foal ever when he sold at Goffs. Bought for €100k last October.

Thanks
    Where's that stable tour from wilsonl?

Thanks
    Didn't realise that he has Carter McKay

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Perpetual View Post
    Where's that stable tour from wilsonl?
    Racing Post

19. The Following User Says Thank You to wilsonl For This Useful Post:

Perpetual (24th October 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post
    Racing Post
    Thanks and feel free to post any more up

Granger - I've got a couple of photos from the Closutton visit (including Faugheen), but I've had IT issues last few weeks and will upload when i'm sorted!

Thanks
    Donald McCain

The days of Peddlers Cross, Overturn, Ballabriggs, Whiteoak and Cinders And Ashes may be in the past, but a new dawn is lighting up Bankhouse Stables.

After a period of rebuilding and restocking necessitated by the break-up with owners Paul and Clare Rooney almost exactly three years ago, Donald McCain’s star is once again in the ascendancy.

There might not be a horse in the stable the calibre of Peddlers Cross just yet, but McCain has high hopes for a team which includes the very useful chaser Cloudy Dream plus a horse he is conspicuously sweet on, Uppertown Prince, who could take high rank in the novice chase division.

McCain is strengthening all the time. Only last week he took charge of the Elite Racing-owned Constancio, an 85-rated middle-distance handicapper on the Flat for Jim Bolger, and juvenile hurdle prospect Liva, his first horse for Simon Munir and Isaac Souede.

Expect to see him have plenty of runners – and winners – on deep ground at Haydock this winter once again, and keep an eye on two of his juvenile hurdlers, Breakfast and Ormesher, who are likely to continue their progress after making excellent starts to their new careers.

The appointment of Brian Hughes as stable jockey has already paid dividends – as McCain says, “he’s been the standout jockey in the north over the last few years, and to have him on-side can only be good for us” – and, while the yard is highly unlikely to get near its best ever tally of 153 winners recorded during the 2011-12 campaign, a first century since 2013-14 would surely signal a complete recovery from the 2015 bombshell in impressively quick time.

Beach Break
    Four-year-old gelding
    Cacique (sire) - Wemyss Bay (dam)
    Owner: G E Fitzpatrick
    Form figures: 211134
    Racing Post Rating: 127 (hurdles); official rating 126 (hurdles)
    When I bought him off the Flat he had a bit of a reputation, but he’s done his job and gone out and won three races over hurdles. He’s got an unorthodox head carriage – that’s just the make and shape of him – but his jumping is so much slicker now and he's improved. He ran another solid race at Wetherby the other day and hopefully there’s more to come.

Black Key
    6g Authorized - Pentatonic
    Mr D Owens
    326-131
    RPR 135h OR 130h
    He was a cheap purchase last month considering he won a handicap hurdle at the big Galway meeting in August. He has his aches and pains, but clearly has an engine.

Chti Balko
    6g Balko - Ina Scoop
    D G Carrington
    415392-
    RPR 147h OR 142h
    He’s a great little horse who never runs a bad race. We’ve toyed with the idea of going chasing, but are going to stay handicapping in two-mile soft-ground hurdles. He’s particularly effective at Haydock on deep ground.

Star quality

Cloudy Dream
    8g Cloudings - Run Away Dream
    Trevor Hemmings
    222235-
    RPR 162c 140h OR 157c 137h
    We’re still learning about him. He’s a high-quality chaser who we’ll start off in the Old Roan at Aintree. His work has been great and it’s nice to have him. He finished second to Altior in the Racing Post Arkle at Cheltenham a couple of seasons ago and is obviously a lovely horse to have around the place. Mr Hemmings has always been a big supporter of mine and we’ll make a plan with Mick Meagher as we go along.

Dear Sire
    6g Al Namix - Polismith
    Green Day Racing
    2-01F31
    RPR 141c OR 142c
    He has won nine races in less than two years. I took a chance with him over a longer trip on a couple of occasions at Cartmel in the summer. He won the first and would have won the second as well but for hitting a patch of false ground at the second-last. I think he’ll improve in two-mile handicap chases with the hood left off.

Race in focus

Danceintothelight loves Catterick, and I'm hoping the handicapper drops him enough so that he can get into a suitable race there this winter. Look out for him over 2m3f round there with my daughter Abbie on board.

Federici
    9g Overbury - Vado Via
    M4 Properties Ltd
    14553P-
    RPR 137c 128h OR 130c 119h
    He had a little knock after the Cross Country at Cheltenham in March and it’s taken us time to get him back. He’ll go straight for the Becher or Grand Sefton at Aintree. Hopefully there's a big day in him.

Fin And Game
    6g Oscar - Miss Cilla
    T G Leslie
    4/1114-6
    RPR 133h OR 129h
    He didn’t do a lot wrong on his first start novice chasing last Thursday at Carlisle. He jumped really well, and was just a bit fresh after getting lit up in the stables. I still get the impression that he’s playing at the job. The race we ran him in at Ayr in April probably wasn’t suitable. He’s definitely got an engine but maybe he doesn’t know it himself just yet. I hope the penny will drop.

Dark horse

Gaelik Coast
    4g Coastal Path - Gaelika
    T G Leslie
    1-
    RPR 91
    He’s not a big horse, which is probably why he didn’t make huge money at the sales, but has grown over the summer. He was very impressive when winning his point-to-point in Ireland, and he’s sharp enough to be started off in a bumper. He’s one for the future.

Katachenko
    9g Kutub - Karalee
    Trevor Hemmings
    U/26F-44
    RPR 139c 131h OR 132c 128h
    He was a bit unlucky last season. At Aintree in December he was spooked when the flagman dropped his flag, and he lost 15 lengths at the start before being beaten a nose by Play The Ace. He was travelling very sweetly when he fell five out at Ayr later on, and will hopefully enjoy better fortune this term. We may consider putting some headgear on in the future.

Kelka
    6m Exit To Nowhere - Scarvagh Diamond
    D & D Armstrong Ltd
    514/239-
    RPR 129h 121c OR 127h 123c
    She hasn’t been with me long. There are lots of opportunities to sneak a bit of black type in mares’ novice chases throughout the season and that’s the route she’ll go down. She’s the first horse I’ve trained for David Armstrong.

Knock House
    9g Old Vic - Lady’s Gesture
    T G Leslie
    P/62-857
    RPR 151c 131h OR 130c 129h
    He’s had plenty of problems with his back. He ran a nice race over hurdles at Carlisle last season when second to My Old Gold. It will be a case of finding the right race on the right day with him – over hurdles or fences. He reappeared at Carlisle last Thursday, and travelled beautifully in a 3m handicap chase for a long way. In the short-term we’ll go back to a flat track and hurdles.

Knockrobin
    7g Robin Des Pres - Tudor Style
    Deva Racing Knockrobin Partnership
    42312P-
    RPR 129h OR 130h
    He should have won more races than he has, but he’s been a little immature and just plays at the job a bit. I see him as a 3m staying novice chaser for races in the north. He’s been crying out for a fence.

Lastbutnotleast
    8m Flemensfirth - Lakil Princess
    Sarah Leslie and Beryl McCain
    11/P135-
    RPR 141c 135h OR 132c 132h
    She left her season at Haydock in December. It was the first race of the day on very bad ground and she and Jonniesofa took each other on for two miles; it was brutal up the straight. She went on to nick some black type at Leicester, but wasn’t herself. She’ll go back chasing and can hopefully win a decent staying handicap.

Lofgren
    7g Multiplex - Sherry Darling
    Mrs C P Lees-Jones
    RPR 136c 134h OR 137c 122h
    He’s doing his job really well and stays further than I thought he would. He was very tough at Cartmel and then improved again to win at Bangor. He doesn’t want deep ground.

Mount Mews
    7g Presenting - Kneeland Lass
    Trevor Hemmings
    361230-
    RPR 150h 145c OR 140h 139c
    He’s a nice horse who arrived in the summer. He had a ‘nearly’ season last year and appears fairly treated as a result. He’s grand, and will go chasing. I’m very happy with him. If we can get him switched off in staying handicap chases he should do well.

Rival to watch

Altior. The art of being very good at something is the ability to make it look simple. You just know this horse always has everything covered.

Mr McGo
    7g Touch Of Land - La Principal
    Jon Glews
    /91179/
    RPR 135h OR 135h
    He’s a pretty useful horse. We sent him for a Grade 3 handicap hurdle at Aintree to make him grow up a bit more – we did something similar with The Last Samurai. He missed last season but is cantering away and looks great. He's every inch a chaser.

Mr Monochrome
    7g Indian Danehill - Our Ethel
    Mr and Mrs G Calder and P M Warren
    23123/4-
    RPR 129h 122c OR 127h 122c
    He’s been off the course quite a while and didn’t jump particularly well in his only race over fences at Perth last September behind Ballyandy. He’s a very attractive horse and his work of late has been quite solid. He should find an opening or two in novice handicap chases up north.

Noah And The Ark
    4g Vinnie Roe - Well Water
    Bart Ryan-Beswick
    RPR 117h OR -
    I was quite upset when I got into trouble over the way he was ridden at Bangor. My job as a trainer is to find a way for a horse to run its best race. We rode him differently that day, and I got fined and the horse banned basically for just doing my job. I think we’ve subsequently proved that’s the way to ride him as he came from well off the pace to win at Stratford and Kelso. They were both bad races, but he was quite impressive and is clearly going the right way.

Pogue
    5g Stowaway - Night Palm
    Mr J Turner
    21 (point form)
    RPR 90
    He’s slightly different to Gaelik Coast in that he is 17 hands – a tall, lean, striking grey. He won a point-to-point a couple of weeks after he narrowly got beat on his debut. An intriguing horse who looks every inch a staying chaser, he is a nice prospect to have. Young recruits like him and Gaelik Coast are the future.

Pougne Bobbi
    7g Protektor - Amicus
    Straightline Bloodstock
    57/4517-
    RPR 144c 139h OR 139c 128h
    I bought him at the sales with no aspirations of trying to improve one of Nicky Henderson’s, but because I think he can do well on deep-ground in the north. There is good prize-money available for this type of horse at the likes of Newcastle, Ayr and Wetherby. He’s a great big horse with a round action.

Raise A Spark
    8g Multiplex - Reem Two
    R Pattison and R Kent
    6-41123
    RPR 140c 127h OR 134c 127h
    He’s a fun horse who we bred – a little bit wild, but as tough as nails. He probably wants 2m on slow ground, and we’ll take our time and regroup after he ran a bit flat at Perth last time. He has a bit more ability than some give him credit for.

Robbing The Prey
    7g Robin Des Pres - Derravarra Lady
    The Bells Steakhouse Ltd
    F/2163-1
    RPR 140c 115h OR 135c 118h
    I’ve seen him plenty of times in the north of England. He put up a really good display of jumping and galloping when he won at Haydock in May. He’s a grand, strong horse, and there should be some good opportunities for him back at Haydock this season.

Same Circus
    7m Brian Boru - Curragh Orpen
    Penketh and Sankey Jech Racing Club 1
    34114-5
    RPR 134c 123h OR 127c 120h
    She had a good season last year, winning at Catterick and Bangor, even though she didn’t quite get the ground she wanted. While there are plenty of chases for mares there aren't many mares’ handicaps. Her big day was supposed to be at Cheltenham in April, but the mares’ chase was one of the races to be abandoned owing to the very high temperatures at that time of year.

Sonic
    5g Vinnie Roe - Bella’s Bury
    Special Piping Materials Ltd
    F21214
    RPR 126h OR 125h
    He’s only tiny, but hard as nails. He can be too brave for his own good and has taken a couple of falls, but has won two of his last four starts – minor events at Uttoxeter and Sedgefield. He’ll get 3m and will jump a fence at some stage.

Tawseef
    10g Monsun - Sahool
    Donald McCain
    123121-
    RPR 137h OR 137h
    I bought him in the summer of last year for my daughters Abbie and Ella to ride, and never expected him to achieve the rating he now has. He’s an old horse with a high rating – which probably isn’t justified – so he’ll be hard to place. He’s only a pony, but has given everyone here great fun, and is a pleasure to have around.

Testify
    7g Witness Box - Tanya Thyne
    Trevor Hemmings
    9/1110P-
    RPR 150c 134h OR 145c 134h
    I trained his full-brother Wymott, who won a Grade 2 staying hurdle at Haydock, so I know the family and they do have days when they disappoint a bit. Testify is very effective in small fields on bad ground as he showed at Haydock last winter. He was below his best in the Close Brothers Novices’ Handicap Chase at Cheltenham after making an early mistake. We’ve had his wind operated on and will be focusing on staying handicap chases at Haydock. He’s undoubtedly a useful horse – his brother finished sixth to Carruthers in the Hennessy – but I’m still trying to work him out.

Uppertown Prince
    6g Strategic Prince - Tarrawarra
    T G Leslie
    12214-
    RPR 142h OR 140h
    I’m very fond of this horse, and he’s arguably my best prospect. I bought him because of the way he jumped throughout when winning his point-to-point and I’m really looking forward to sending him chasing this winter. He ran a really nice race when fourth to Santini in the Grade 1 Sefton Novices’ Hurdle at Aintree, and also finished runner-up in a Haydock Grade 2 on heavy ground before winning as he liked at Ayr. He’s one to be excited about.

William Of Orange
    7g Duke Of Marmalade - Critical Acclaim
    T W Johnson and G Maxwell
    P-16155
    RPR 135h OR 134h
    There are two Williams – he has his good days and his bad days. He’s been quite busy over the summer and is best dropped right out in his races before being produced with a late challenge. He also stays better now than we thought he would at one stage. He’s always likely to pop up during the course of the season but you wouldn’t necessarily know when that day will be.

Horse to follow

Lastbutnotleast
    Donald McCain was really excited about this chasing mare around this time last year but she broke a blood vessel when pulled up in a Listed contest at Carlisle in December before walking home in an absolute slog to beat two rivals at Haydock. She ran two poor races after that and I wouldn't be surprised if she was back to her best this year, which would mean she is a threat to all in the top northern staying chases.
    Tom Collins

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wilsonl For This Useful Post:

Diamond Geezer (24th October 2018), Perpetual (24th October 2018)

Thanks