Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stable Tours 18/19

Thanks
    Philip Hobbs

Last season wasn't plain sailing at Sandhill Stables, with health issues contributing to the lowest seasonal total in many years, but Philip Hobbs, as befits his many years of experience, remains unperturbed by the blip and quietly optimistic for the future.

"We had 60-odd winners but for us it was a little bit slow, because a lot of our horses were affected by a bug that we couldn't really get rid of," he explains.

"It's frustrating because you never know quite what you're dealing with. It's the same as you or me having a cold – there are so many different viruses around that it's impossible to say what it is you've got, so you just have to give them antibiotics and plenty of time. They're good and healthy again now though, and we're looking forward to a good season.

"Defi Du Seuil was among those affected and obviously it was a big disappointment for him to be beaten on his only two starts, but he's back in good nick again and we're looking forward to an exciting novice chase campaign for him.

"We've had a good summer with very few horses on the go. Leapaway and Imperial Presence both stepped up and won us plenty of races and plenty of prize-money to keep us ticking over, which is always a great help around the yard.

"Apart from the obvious stars, we've got nothing that has proved themselves to be very good but plenty with the potential to be very good and lots of youngsters who'll be capable of winning races. I'd like to think it's in the younger division that our strengths lie because I can see plenty of untapped talent out there."

Awake At Midnight
    Six-year-old gelding Midnight Legend (sire) - Wakeful (dam)
    Owner: Mrs Charles Lloyd-Baker
    Form figures: 23237-1
    Racing Post Rating: 121 (hurdles); Official BHA rating: 121
    Won well at Worcester last time after being placed several times last season. He's the type to make a chaser sooner rather than later and I'd expect him to improve, although he wouldn't want the ground too firm.

Ballotin
    7g Enrique - Orphee De Vonnas
    David Maxwell Racing
    0/3152P-
    RPR 147c OR 141c
    Won last year's Bobby Renton at Wetherby. He wouldn't want very soft ground but 2m4f is his trip and he'll go hunter chasing for his owner to ride as soon as the season starts. He may go up to 3m at some stage.

Ballygown Bay
    5g Flemensfirth - Star Shuil
    Mrs Joanna Peppiatt
    33/33P-4
    RPR 112h OR 116h
    Ran some decent races last season, seems to be maturing now and I hope he'd improve this year over 2m4f in novice hurdles.

Barbrook Star
    6g Getaway - Fille de Robin
    Mrs B Hitchcock
    0/3006-4
    RPR 115h OR 114h
    Placed last season over hurdles and looks as though he should do better over fences, but he may run in a handicap hurdle first because I think he could win one over 2m4f.

Beau Du Brizais
    6g Kapgarde - Belle Du Brizais
    Mrs R J Skan
    F22P-63
    RPR 127c OR 124c
    Ran a good race at Ludlow last time and has been coping with fast ground very well, although I don't think he needs it. He'll go to Exeter today and should give a good account.

Bradford Bridge
    6g Milan - Isis Du Berlais
    Brocade Racing
    2PP-621
    RPR 119h OR 112h
    Lost his confidence over fences when he slipped very badly going to the first in his novice chase debut at Fontwell. He was an eight-length winner of a handicap hurdle on good ground at Worcester this month, but chasing will be his job, he's very well in himself and his confidence seems to have come back. He probably doesn't want it very soft but is on the up.

Casterly Rock
    6g King’s Theatre - Alderbrook Girl
    The Juwireya Partnership
    4/523-82
    RPR 119h OR 118h
    Pleased me on his reappearance in a handicap hurdle at Bangor but will go chasing very soon. I may give him one more run over hurdles and he'd go on any ground.

Cedar Valley
    4f Flemensfirth - Lunar Path
    Mrs Caren Walsh and Mrs Kathleen Quinn
    19-3
    RPR 106b OR -
    A nice mare who won well first time at Taunton, ran a good race in the Grade 2 bumper at Aintree, then showed up well on her seasonal reappearance at Carlisle, all with plenty of give in the ground. She ran extremely well the last day, going on strongly at the finish, and I'd say she'll definitely want 2m4f when she goes over hurdles, but she may go for a Listed mares' bumper at Cheltenham on November 17 in the meantime. She has a really good attitude and looks a progressive type for mares' races.

Chef D'Equipe
    6g Presenting - Millesimee
    David Maxwell Racing
    136517-
    RPR 137c OR 132c
    A handicap chaser who will go hunter chasing eventually. He copes well with soft ground but doesn't have to have it. I'd say 2m4f is his trip at the moment.

Come On Charlie
    6g Anzillero - End Of Spring
    Martin St Quinton
    903-P1
    RPR 103h OR 106h
    Won well at Stratford over 2m2f last time and will run in another handicap hurdle before going chasing fairly soon. I'd think he'll want 2m4f at least and will cope with soft ground as the winter goes on.

Cotswold Way
    5g Stowaway - Rosies All The Way
    Miss I D Du Pre
    5372 -1
    RPR 126h OR 123h
    Did it nicely last week at Huntingdon and looked to be an improved performer. He's very much a potential chaser but will probably stay over hurdles for this campaign. He can be a bit keen and 2m4f is probably his trip for now.

Crooks Peak
    5g Arcadio - Ballcrina Girl
    Andy Tilley
    110-4
    RPR 123b OR -
    Looked an exciting horse when scoring at Newton Abbot and Cheltenham on his first two runs but was disappointing in the Champion Bumper and again on his first hurdling effort, over 2m1f at Newton Abbot this month. He seemed fine afterwards and in his defence the ground was bad that day and he lost a lot of momentum at the second-last with a poor jump, so he deserves another chance.

Dancingatdunraven
    5g Mahler - My Kit
    Let’s Get Ready To Rumble Partnership
    1- (point form)
    RPR 90 OR -
    Won his only point-to-point in Ireland, stays very well and may go straight over hurdles. He's a 3m chasing type and will want at least 2m4f over hurdles.

Dark Episode
    4g Getaway - No Moore Bills
    Louisville Syndicate Elite
    RPR 101b OR -
    Ran fine in his first bumper at Newton Abbot, even though the ground was awful and the pace wasn't strong enough. Will improve for better conditions and a faster gallop in bumpers, but he'll be a chaser in time.

Star quality

Defi Du Seuil
    5g Voix Du Nord - Quarvine Du Seuil
    JP McManus
    1111/47-
    RPR 150h OR 157h
    He's in good nick, will go straight novice chasing this season and would be ready to go fairly soon, but we'll need more rain for that to happen. Only ran twice last year, was disappointing when odds-on for the Coral Hurdle at Ascot, then again in the Irish Champion Hurdle, so it was sensible for him to go home and have the summer off. A lot of our horses were under a cloud last season and there are plenty of reasons why he should improve over fences, so we're very hopeful. He's bright and well.

Deise Aba
    5g Mahler - Kit Massini
    Trevor Hemmings
    1 (point form)
    RPR 90 OR -
    Won a point in Ireland and looks a stayer who will probably start in a 2m4f novice hurdle. He's a big, strong horse with a very good temperament.

Demopolis
    4g Poliglote - Princess Demut
    JP McManus
    1-
    RPR 124h OR -
    Won his only race in France, a hurdle at Auteuil, and will go handicap hurdling to start with, although I have no idea what kind of mark he'll get. We'll file him under 'could be anything'.

Diplomate Sivola
    5g Noroit - None De Sivola
    David Maxwell Racing
    76F43-3
    RPR 115c OR 117c
    Joined us from France in the spring and got off the mark at Fontwell this month over just short of 2m4f. He may improve for going a bit further.

Dostal Phil
    5g Coastal Path - Quiphile
    JP McManus
    1/4-2
    RPR 117h OR -
    Came from the Arqana Sale in November 2016, having won over 1m4f on the Flat at Deauville. We had high hopes of him and were a little disappointed when he finished only fourth at odds-on in his novice hurdle at Bangor on his first run for us, but we decided he may have found the track and trip a little on the sharp side. He wasn't at his peak after that so we put him away for the year to retain his novice status for this season, and he pleased us on his reappearance when second over 2m at Uttoxeter. He ran too keen early on, something he hadn't done last season, but he was probably just a little fresh and well and it was a performance that suggested he'll be winning soon.

Duke Des Champs
    8g Robin Des Champs - Ballycowan Lady
    Diana Whateley and Tim Syder
    2136/23-
    RPR 142h OR 139h
    Ran two good races in handicap chases at Newbury last year but is still a novice. He'll want some rain before he runs but will be out in the autumn on soft going over 3m plus.

Earth Moor
    4g Ask - Merrylas
    Mrs Catherine Penny
    4-221
    RPR 105b OR -
    Showed a lot of promise last season and won his bumper well at Fontwell this month. He'll go to Exeter today over 2m2½f and I'd expect him to stay well.

Ebony Gale
    4g Shirocco - Glenora Gale
    Mrs Judith Luff
    61-
    RPR 104b OR -
    A bumper winner at Wincanton last season, he'll go straight over hurdles, either over 2m4f or 2m at a stiff track, but we'll wait for a bit of rain first.

Ecu De La Noverie
    4g Linda's Lad - Quat'Sous D'Or
    David Maxwell Racing
    52F451-
    RPR - OR -
    A big, strong horse who won a 2m3f chase on soft ground in Pau and will run in a novice hurdle before going back chasing at some stage. We'll start him at 2m and go from there.

Dark horse

Evidence De Thaix
    4f Network - Nacre De Thaix
    JP McManus
    211-
    RPR - OR -
    Twice a winner on the Flat in France up to 1m5f on good to soft, she's a lovely strong filly who looks a good prospect for mares' races. She has a good pedigree and lots of potential.

Festival Dawn
    6m Kayf Tara - Keel Road
    British Racing Club
    2-2
    RPR 117h OR -
    Ran well on her reappearance at Chepstow on good ground and you'd hope she was up to winning a mares' novice hurdle fairly soon, although she has the scope to go chasing at some stage.

Flinck
    4g Fame And Glory - Princess Supreme
    Ronnie Bartlett
    5- (point form)
    RPR 67 OR -
    Showed promise in an Irish point-to-point and looks a nice type who should do very well, either in a hurdle or a bumper, when he runs for the first time in two or three weeks.

For Good Measure
    7g King's Theatre - Afdala
    JP McManus
    5290/43-
    RPR 138h OR 137h
    A full-brother to Balthazar King, he showed up well over fences last season – finishing third in the Grade 2 Pendil Novices' Chase over 2m 4½f at Kempton, after which we put him away to preserve his novice status – and should make an impression in long-distance chases this campaign. He'd want good ground and will be out in a fortnight or so.

From The Heart
    4g Jeremy - Zephyr Lilly
    Zoe Moore-Williams
    80-3
    RPR 86b OR -
    Third place in his first hurdle race at Market Rasen on Saturday – leading for a long way and only being run out of second late on after a mistake at the last – was a big step up on his bumper form and hopefully he'll be winning before too long.

Garde La Victoire
    9g Kapgarde - Next Victory
    Diana Whateley
    18/240-4
    RPR 162c OR 149c
    Wasn't a healthy horse in the second-half of last season and needed the run on his reappearance at Chepstow, so he'll improve on that. He's a high-class handicap chaser who could go 2m or 2m4f, so we have the option. The Haldon Gold Cup is a possibility after his fourth in the race last season and the handicapper seems to have given him a chance.

Gosheven
    5g Presenting - Fair Choice
    The Grocer Syndicate
    535-3
    RPR 128h OR -
    Ran well when third in the Persian War at Chepstow on his reappearance – an unusual race for us to run a horse in before he's won a novice hurdle – and I'd like to win an ordinary novice with him before we up our sights again. One with lots of promise.

Gumball
    4g No Risk At All - Good Time Girl
    Terry Warner
    122P21-
    RPR 139h OR 148h
    Won three times for us last season after arriving from France, his best effort coming when he finished second in the Grade 1 juvenile hurdle at Aintree over 2m1f. That sort of horse becomes more difficult to place as a four-year-old as he's now high in the handicap, but he'll start off at Cheltenham this weekend in a four-year-old conditions hurdle and he seems in good nick at home. He seems to be a horse that likes better ground, nothing too soft.

I'm A Game Changer
    6g Arcadio - Drinadaly
    Paul and Clare Rooney
    6519-22
    RPR 142h OR 138h
    Ran very well in a 2m hurdle at Chepstow after his break and may well go novice chasing before too long. He's got a decent level of form but he'll be better when he settles better – he can be a bit keen, but he seems to be learning.

Jerrysback
    6g Jeremy - Get A Few Bob Back
    JP McManus
    11/-
    RPR 129h OR 139h
    Won his only two hurdle races for us very well after winning his fourth Irish point-to-point, but he was never sparkling in his work last season and although there was nothing wrong with him, I wasn't happy and he didn't run. He should do well as a novice chaser but could win a good handicap hurdle if we decided to go down that route. We're looking forward to seeing him on the track again.

Kayf Adventure
    7g Kayf Tara - My Adventure
    Louisville Syndicate
    312372-
    RPR 144c OR 137c
    Did very well in 2m4f chases last year and while his ideal conditions at the moment may be that trip on heavy ground, he'll be wanting 3m at some stage. We'll wait for buckets of rain before we start thinking about where to go first.

Kensukes Kingdom
    5g Stowaway - Hamalata
    Tim Syder and Martin St Quinton
    41-1 (point form)
    RPR 94 OR -
    Won two Irish points, which is unusual, is going very well at this stage and will start in a bumper very soon.

Larkbarrow Lad
    5g Kayf Tara - Follow My Leader
    The Englands and Heywoods
    332-
    RPR 107b OR -
    Placed in three bumpers and ought to win one before he goes novice hurdling. He's ready to go but is a big, tall horse who will improve with time and will want 2m4f over hurdles.

Leapaway
    6g Stowaway - Gisela
    Dr V M G Ferguson
    RPR 134h OR 137h
    Had a fantastic summer, winning five hurdles and helping us get the season off to a flying start, but his effort at Kempton on Sunday showed he's now in need of a break. He'll have the winter off and be back in the spring.

Little Miss Poet
    6m Yeats - R De Rien Sivola
    Michael and Mrs Norma Tuckey
    1/543-31
    RPR 130h OR 130h
    Did well in handicap hurdles last season and may reappear in a valuable 2m5f open mares' handicap hurdle at Wincanton on November 10. She'll go novice chasing at some stage.

Lord Duveen
    5g Doyen - Afdala
    Field, Cognet, Sigler and Walsh
    52-6
    RPR 121h OR -
    Looked a very nice horse when second at Kempton on his final run last season but was a bit disappointing on his reappearance at Chepstow. I'm sure that was just a blip, though, and he's one who should do well this year.

Louis' Vac Pouch
    6g Oscar - Coming Home
    The Vacuum Pouch Company Ltd
    1/6100-0
    RPR 147h OR 141h
    Below par in the spring, he ran respectably last time in the Silver Trophy at Chepstow, which was just to get him to settle as he's a bit keen at the best of times. With that under his belt he'll very likely go novice chasing and looks promising.

Majestic Touch
    7g Kalanisi - Alexander Divine
    N Sutton
    0/62/1-14
    RPR 125h OR 123h
    Wasn't a healthy horse last season and wasn't seen on the racecourse. Won well in a handicap hurdle at Newton Abbot on his first run back but disappointed at Fontwell last time when there was no pace and he was extremely keen. He'll probably go novice chasing and wouldn't mind any ground apart from very soft.

McNamaras Band
    5g Getaway - Katies Pet
    Frank Jarvey
    1-
    RPR 102 OR -
    Really nice young horse who won his only bumper for us a year ago. Back in training now, ready to run and for sale, he'll go for a 2m4f novice hurdle to start with, on decent ground, but he's very much a chaser and has plenty of potential.

Melekhov
    4g Sholokhov - Yorkshire Girl
    Owners For Owners
    211-4
    RPR 113b OR -
    Won two bumpers last season but disappointed when only fourth at Bangor last time. I'm sure that was only a blip and hopefully he'll be back on track soon.

Mendip Express
    12g King's Theatre - Mulberry
    David Maxwell
    52/441-5
    RPR 154c OR 127c
    A fantastic old horse with some very good form in big chases, he's well capable of winning again for his owner/rider, hopefully starting next weekend at Cheltenham in the amateurs' chase.

Ninth Wave
    4g September Storm - Royale Pearl
    Trevor Hemmings
    1-4
    RPR - OR -
    Easily won a point-to-point bumper at Bitterley in April and made a very pleasing debut at Ffos Las at the weekend, travelling well throughout and shaping very encouragingly for the future in fourth place. I'm not sure yet if he'll run in another bumper or move straight to hurdles.

No Comment
    7g Kayf Tara - Dizzy Frizzy
    JP McManus
    722/36-5
    RPR 137c OR 139c
    Had some decent form over hurdles before transferring his ability to fences when third in the Scilly Isles Novices' Chase. He didn't enjoy the best of health last season and his only other run was when not staying the trip in the National Hunt Chase at Cheltenham, but he's been dropped 6lb by the handicapper, is well treated over fences compared to his hurdling mark, and I think he's one to follow in 3m novice chases. It was a very hot race he reappeared in at Ffos Las on Saturday and he was a little bit rusty, but after a few early mistakes he ran on well and it was a satisfactory first run back

Oakley
    5g Oscar - Tirolean Dance
    Tim Syder
    35-
    RPR 112b OR -
    Showed up well in his bumpers without quite getting home, and will start over hurdles at 2m, as he has plenty of pace. I think he'll improve.

Ozzie The Oscar
    7g Oscar - Private Official
    Bradley Partnership
    1321-13
    RPR 157c, 140h OR 151c, 145h
    A big improver last season, winning three from five over fences, he returned with an excellent effort when third in the Welsh Champion Hurdle at Ffos Las on Saturday, looking as though he was going to win at one stage. I was delighted with that and it should set him up nicely for a tilt at the Haldon Gold Cup at Exeter on November 6, as long as the ground's not too firm.

Pineapple Rush
    5m Kayf Tara - Celtic Native
    Bradley Partnership
    3211-50
    RPR 111h OR 120h
    She disappointed us a little when unplaced in a 2m4f handicap hurdle at Carlisle last week, travelling very well until after the third last but not really getting home, so at this stage we're a little bit stumped, but we'll see how she is in the next week and plan from there. She may go over fences in time.

Perform
    9g King's Theatre - Famous Lady
    Merry Old Souls
    5/1/64/F4-
    RPR 136h OR 132h
    Has been in training for four years and won just the one race from six starts [at Aintree three years ago], but he's had no end of minor hiccups and we've never had a clear run with him. He's still with us because we think we can still win with him, probably in 3m handicap or novice handicap chases.

Reikers Island
    5g Yeats - Moricana
    James Drummond
    F15-
    RPR 123h OR 124h
    Did very well to win a 2m5f novice hurdle at Fontwell in March before disappointing slightly over 3m at Kempton, but I think he was just in need of a break. He'll go novice chasing, starting fairly soon, and I think 3m will be no problem.

Rock The Kasbah
    8g Shirocco - Impudent
    Diana Whateley
    26/1P2-6
    RPR 155c OR 147c
    Ran well for a long way at Chepstow this month and remains a top-class 3m handicap chaser. It's hard to start making plans until we get some rain, but we have plenty of options, with the Ladbrokes Trophy and the Grand National at the back of our minds.

Rolling Dylan
    7g Indian River - Easter Saturday
    Mrs I D Du Pre
    1P2312-
    RPR 149c OR 142c
    Did well novice chasing last season but will find things harder this term off a high mark. He'll start wherever the ground's safe – not necessarily soft, just decent – and I think 3m will be his trip. He can continue to progress.

Roll The Dough
    9g Definite Article - High Dough
    The Kingpins
    63-2114
    RPR 123c OR 117c
    Has won two handicap chases already this season and the first next option is on November 1 at Stratford in a 2m6f handicap chase. I don't think he'd want it too soft but on decent ground he'd go there with a real chance.

Royal Regatta
    10g King's Theatre - Friendly Craic
    Lesley Field and Eileen Murphy
    1P3P/PP-
    RPR 161c OR 150c
    A Grade 2 winner in his pomp, he's been a great servant to us for a long time and with the handicapper ready to drop him to 145, he'll go to Ascot for a 0-145 at Ascot at the end of November. He was pulled up in both starts early last term but we identified a breathing problem that we hope we've sorted out. I'd love to see him win again.

Samburu Shujaa
    5g Poliglote - Girelle
    Robert and Janet Gibbs
    02/3334-
    RPR 126h OR 125h
    In reasonable form over novice hurdles last season, he's a lovely strong horse who'll start in a 2m4f maiden hurdle, probably on a left-handed track, because he can hang a bit. He has the size to jump a fence in time.

Show On The Road
    7g Flemensfirth - Roses Of Picardy
    Roger and Catherine Penny
    12318-4
    RPR 128h OR 126h
    Twice a winner over hurdles at Exeter last season on heavy ground I thought he'd hate, he looks the type to go over fences before too long but stayed on well in fourth place over hurdles at Market Rasen on Saturday for what was a very respectable comeback.

Springtown Lake
    6g Gamut - Sprightly Girl
    Tim Syder
    1F2310-
    RPR 138h OR 137h
    Very decent novice hurdler last season – twice a winner and runner-up in a Sandown Grade 2 – who we hope will do very well over fences this year, although he may run in a handicap hurdle first. He had a good summer, came back in looking very well and I'd see him as a decent novice chaser over 2m4f and beyond.

Steely Addition
    6g Craigsteel - Blond's Addition
    Step By Step
    34/F118-
    RPR 136h OR 137h
    A very thorough stayer who won a good handicap hurdle at Chepstow over just shy of 3m in soft ground last November. He'll go novice chasing over 3m and will be suited by plenty of give.

Sternrubin
    7g Authorized - Sworn Mum
    Terry Warner
    0/2203-0
    RPR 148h OR 137h
    Won twice on the Flat last year and has the option to stay handicap hurdling after a good third at Aintree on Grand National day, but he's quite high in the handicap and I could see him going back novice chasing after a couple of decent placed efforts last term. He needs to go right-handed over fences.

That's A Given
    4g Great Pretender - Aulne River
    Andrew Cohen
    10-
    RPR 104b OR -
    Won a bumper well at Huntingdon last season so we took him to Punchestown but the race didn't go to suit and I'm sure he's capable of more than he produced that day. He has plenty of speed and will go novice hurdling over 2m.

Thyme Hill
    4g Kayf Tara - Rosita Bay
    RPR 110b OR -
    Won on debut at Worcester this month but we won't be in any hurry to run him again. I think he'll need a bit of time to get over that, maybe go for another bumper or step into 2m4f novice hurdles – we'll let him tell us when he's ready and we'll decide nearer the time.

Tidal Flow
    5g Black Sam Bellamy - Mrs Philip
    Brocade Racing
    14-
    RPR 115b OR -
    Bred by Richard Johnson and my wife Sarah, he won his bumper well at Newbury but then disappointed under a penalty at Wincanton in the spring. I think he's better than he showed there and he'll start in 2m4f novice hurdles.

Truckin Away
    5g Getaway - Simons Girl
    Brocade Racing
    3- (point form)
    RPR 87 OR -
    Ran well in his only Irish point-to-point and looks one to start in novice hurdles at 2m4f or upwards.

Umndeni
    4g Balko - Marie Royale
    St Quinton, D L Whateley and Syder
    1-4
    RPR 111h OR -
    A half-brother to Vision Des Flos, he's always shown plenty at home and won his bumper last season at Warwick. A bit disappointing at Warwick on his reappearance but he hadn't schooled on grass since the spring and he made mistakes, looking hesitant and jumping left. He should benefit for the experience and is a very nice prospect.

Waiheke
    5m Black Sam Bellamy - Its Meant To Be
    Mrs Sally White
    51424-
    RPR 111h OR 117h
    Scored second time out last season at Exeter and ran some good races in defeat, despite showing a tendency to hang left, which we've tried to correct. She looks one to start in a handicap hurdle off a fair mark, but she'll run in mares' novice chases later on.

War Sound
    9g Kayf Tara - Come The Dawn
    234222-
    RPR 140c OR 136c
    Won the Swinton Hurdle back in 2015 but has been placed eight times in chases without winning. You'd have thought he'll be landing a handicap chase or novice chase before too long, because he has the ability. I think 2m4f is his trip.

Westend Story
    7g Westerner - Sarahall
    Mick Fitzgerald Racing Club
    2B/4121-
    RPR 138h OR 137h
    Has had his jumping issues but won well on his last two runs of last season, looks one to improve a fair bit and may go to Cheltenham at the weekend before beginning a novice chase career. He'd go on anything but quick ground.

Who's My Jockey
    5g Yeats - Skandisk
    Paul and Clare Rooney
    1231-43
    RPR 134h OR 136h
    A good third at Stratford recently on a track that was probably too tight for him. I'd say he wants 3m on a more galloping track – we tried him over the trip at Aintree on his final start of last season but I think he was over the top by then, so I'd be happy to try again. He could go novice chasing before too long.

Zanza
    4g Arcadio - What A Bleu
    Louisville Syndicate Elite
    RPR - OR -
    Ran a very respectable race on his debut in a Ffos Las bumper last Saturday, looking like he had a chance three furlongs out but just running a bit green in the closing stages. It was a run full of promise.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wilsonl For This Useful Post:

luckyme (24th October 2018)

Thanks
    Warren Greatrex

Tell us a little bit about yourself and your training methods...

I started out with The Duke (David Nicholson) and had a brief career in the saddle before becoming head lad for Bryan Smart. I then joined Oliver Sherwood for nine years and picked up some experience during a spell with Guillaume Macaire in France.
    I was private trainer to Malcolm Denmark for three seasons just over at Weathercock House – where Richard Hughes is now - before starting out here at Uplands with around a dozen horses in 2012. It’s a brilliant yard and steeped in history, made famous by Fred Winter. We’ve added all the names of his big-race winners to the boxes, as well as our own, but I’ve got some catching up to do!
    We're lucky here in Lambourn as we have the most amazing facilities on the Jockey Club Estate Training Grounds, it's a shared gallop setup but it’s now predominantly Flat horses being trained here which means through the winter we have all this acreage and all the facilities with relatively few horses around. There’s around six miles of all-weather gallop and about 15 turf gallops so there are plenty of options.
    I like to training horses to their individual needs and to treat them on a day-to-day basis. You just want to build up a profile of every horse.
    We all know that sometimes we don’t want to get out of bed on the odd occasion and it’s the same with racehorses, so I don’t stick to a strict regime.
    Some don’t like being trained on the hill, some don’t like being worked in a string, and others do. You’ve got to factor in these small things too. We try and mix it up and we’re lucky we have the staff.

How many have you got in at Uplands currently and what are your hopes and ambitions for the season?

We’ve 80 horses in at the moment and I’d be delighted to have another 50 winners this season. It’s a number we’ve become used to hitting but I don’t really set targets based on numbers as what we’re trying to achieve is to have more runners in the biggest races and to compete in the best races.
    I don’t think I’ll ever be one who wants 150 horses as it becomes a bit of a numbers game. But I think we’ve proved in the last four or five years, with a Cheltenham and Aintree winner last year, a Punchestown winner, plenty of other Graded winner, that we’re aspiring to compete with the best.
    Every year we’ve been getting stronger and stronger as we’ve gone through buying youngsters and they’ve come forward and this year the novice chase division will be as strong as I’ve had.
    I would still have the bumper and the novice hurdle horses coming through but this is the first year that I’d have a fair amount of novice chasers which is what they were bought for after all.

Where do you stand on the Cheltenham Festival domination in the National Hunt season?

Well I don’t think it’s right really but it just seems to be getting bigger and bigger by the year. We try to play it down a bit but it keeps growing. And with the super-powers of Willie Mullins and Gordon Elliott targeting it they’ve got so many options for each race.
    Here you’ve got Nicky Henderson and Paul Nicholls so it’s hard for everybody and when you’ve got an 80-horse string and able to compete I think everyone deserves a pat on the back.
    Out of all the major Festivals, Cheltenham and the pressure that comes with it is huge. So when you have one (winner), you know you’re doing something right and it’s like a drug, you want more and more.

Which courses suit your horses best?

I maintain that in terms of configuration there isn’t a better track than Newbury. The probably is you take a promising young horse to Newbury and some old fella from over the hill goes there with a world-beater and you end up fifth after running really well!
    I like Wetherby a lot, there are no excuses and it’s a great, galloping track. Doncaster is similar but I do find they get racing really early on for some reason at Doncaster and that can rip the guts out of a young horse. They’re also really competitive novice hurdles there too.

Stable Tour – Horse-by-horse guide

MISSED APPROACH
    His season will be geared around the Grand National. It was the plan to go there last year but he didn’t get into the race and he’d probably had enough by the time Sandown came around.
    We could start him off at Aintree in the Becher Chase and he’ll probably only have two or three runs before the National weights are published in February. He’ll then have a prep run before Aintree and hopefully he’ll give us all a fantastic day out. He’s all about stamina and he likes to get a good sight of his fences so he looks the ideal type for the National.
    I’ve had two runners in the race in the past – Tranquil Sea (2015) and Dolatulo – and they finished seventh and 19th so I’ve a 100 per cent completion rate to maintain!
    He won the four-miler at Cheltenham in March and it was a proud day. Ireland had won every race that day and it was the last race of the day with Patrick Mullins and Jamie Codd looming up alongside you - you think here we go. But to be honest from three out I felt he’d win. I think if Mall Dini has headed us we would have weakened but the mistake they made was holding onto him and that just spurred Missed Approach on. I’m thankful they didn’t go past.

LA BAGUE AU ROI
    She’ll go chasing this season and with a mark of 152 over hurdles I’d like to think she can go a long way. She’s grown again and has always looked a chaser in the making so she’s pretty exciting.
    She’s tended to lose her way after Christmas, which might just be her, but we’ll start off in a novice chase and hopefully get a couple of wins on the board before raising her sights.
    She loves deep ground but I wouldn’t say it was a necessity. She’ll mix between two and a half and three miles with a pretty nice programme for mares these days.
    When she ran in Ireland in April she was the only one that could live with Faugheen early and I think if she’d been ridden for a place should would have been. She still ran well and if she takes to fences then she could be better than she was over hurdles. I trained her half-brother Kayserberg and he jumped well so I see no reason why not.

WESTERN RYDER
    I think his bumper season let a little bit of a mark on him to be honest. He ran in Listed bumpers at Ascot and Newbury and then went to Cheltenham and Aintree which for a young horse is tough.
    He also had a little eye issue before the start of last season. But he did well, beating Lalor and Summerville Boy at Cheltenham early in the season and I thought he ran quite well when sixth in the Sky Bet Supreme at the Festival. I just felt he’s better than that and he didn’t quite get home at Aintree on the soft ground.
    He will stay two and a half in time but he’s not short of pace and I’d be looking to start him out in the Greatwood Hurdle. From a mark of 145 I hope he can be really competitive as I think he’s a Graded horse in the making still. He’s adaptable in terms of the ground but wouldn’t want extremes.

EMITOM
    He won his only outing in a Warwick bumper back in April. It didn’t come as a huge shock to us as he’d been showing all the right signs at home and he travelled really well.
    The form isn’t much to write home about but he won pretty well and if we’ve got a novice hurdler that could go to the top then it might just be him.
    Put it this way, he’s in Cole Harden’s box so he’s obviously got a lot to live up to! He works well anyway and we’re hoping to get him out in the next couple of weeks to see what he can do over hurdles on the track.

KEEPER HILL
    He was a good staying novice chaser last season but it ended with disappointment as he fell at Musselburgh and Cheltenham before being pulled up at the end of the season at Ayr.
    His rating has come down a bit as a result and I think he can wins races but his jumping will need to have improved. He’s very talented on his day. At Cheltenham he only got over a few fences and we probably should have gone for a smaller race as opposed to going to Ayr to get his confidence back. He had a kissing spine and was operated on over the summer, but he is back in now.
    He will start over hurdles and will go to Wetherby for the West Yorkshire Hurdle. I still think there is a bit he could do over hurdles.

THEATRE TERRITORY
    She’s had a little wind operation recently and hopefully that will help her find that extra bit of improvement.
    I still can’t believe she wasn’t quite able to win a race last season but she barely put a foot wrong all year and kept running incredibly well in defeat.
    She’s another who could go down the Grand National route although she’d have to go up a fair bit in the weights if she’s to get into the race. The Becher is an early-season option but she’s not short of potential targets and I still think she’s quite well handicapped.

MULCAHYS HILL
    He came to us after winning his point-to-point over three miles in Ireland so we knew he could motor after he was able to win a bumper for us over two miles.
    He won his maiden at Ffos Las and then went down by a short-head to Poetic Rhythm in the Grade One Challow Hurdle at Newbury which was a fantastic effort in defeat.
    There was no fluke about it in my view and although things didn’t go his well in two starts earlier this year, we’ve got high hopes for him. He will go chasing and will be better over fences. He is one of my favourite horses in training. I don’t think he would be far off winning a Grade One in bottomless ground, he handles soft very well and he's a good jumper.

LOVENORMONEY
    He’s very good in the mud and will be useful in the winter months. He’s going novice chasing and was rated 140 over hurdles so should progress nicely if taking to it.
    CARNSPINDLE
    She’s a 129-rated mare who will go novice chasing this year. Hopefully she can step up again as her form plateaued over hurdles a bit. She should be a better chaser and has schooled well.
    PETTICOAT TAILS
    Similarly to Western Ryder, I think the previous year’s bumper campaign took a lot out of her but she did manage to win a couple of times in novice hurdles. She'll stay over the smaller obstacles and I think she's up to Listed level.

YOUNG LIEUTENANT
    He was just a little sorry for himself for a day after his jabs a couple of weeks ago but has picked up very nicely now.
    He’s a nice novice hurdler and could definitely be a horse to follow. I think he’ll start over two miles but will get further as he goes on.
    EVRON
    It’s hard to get a gauge on the French imports as they’re trained a little bit differently over there and he was unfortunately unplaced at Carlisle last week. I'm sure he'll have learnt plenty from that and I think the inside track there probably caught him out as it's tight on the bends. He might go up a little bit in distance as we go along and will appreciate a drop of rain too, but I think his mark will be workable in time.
    ROCK MY STYLE
    He's one for the winter months and is a strong stayer. He doesn’t do much at home but he’s tough. He’s built for chasing and hopefully he can make his mark in staying division.
    JAMMIN MASTERS
    He likes soft ground and wants a trip. Three miles on soft ground could see him develop into a good horse.

GANGSTER
    He is a Grade Three winner and a proper Saturday horse. He is still a novice and could develop into a nice staying chaser.
    BEGBIE
    He got a slight stress fracture behind, but he is fine now. He has had a long time out, but I think he is up there with my best novice hurdlers.
    ANOTHER EMOTION
    Max McNeil has purchased half of him with Terry Warner. He was second at Chepstow and won at Ffos Las. He will stay over hurdles as he has only had two runs in points. He is a nice chasing type.
    ARTICLE FIFTY
    I should have put him away after winning a bumper at Uttoxeter. He got stuck in the mud at Bangor and Kempton and ran really well to finish second at Newbury. He is exciting for this season over timber.
    DRUMLEE WATAR
    He was bought after winning his three mile point-to-point in Ireland back in May and has done everything right so far. He's got a couple of entries this week and will likely start off over two and a half miles.
    PORTRUSH TED
    He’s unfortunately ruled out for the season which is a real pity as he looked a nice staying prospect for novice hurdles. I’m sure he’ll be back at some stage but it’s not been straightforward with him and sadly he won’t be seen this year.

Thanks
    A friend who works at Greatrex' says they are looking to build more boxes as they are full and have a large number of extra horses to take in.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Anyone see anything from the Meade stable yet?
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Anyone see anything from the Meade stable yet?
    No but if your interested in following any horses from his stable, they have set this up. http://www.noelmeade.com/ourhorses.html
    Pluralism of Ideas and the prosperity of any land are intertwined. Freedom of minds and skill of intellect to 'think the unthinkable' is how humanity has progressed; when minds are incarcerated nothing endures.

Thanks
    Brian Ellison stable tour

APTERIX

He’s been out this season and won at Sedgefield and just got beat the next time. He’ll have another go over fences at some stage. He had a bad back last year and we took him over to Ger Kelly and he’s done a great job with him. He’ll go to Wetherby at the end of the month.

ARCHIVE

We bought him from Gigginstown and he came out and won a £20,000 chase. We decided to run him on the Flat this summer and he won at Carlisle and ran fourth at Galway. He’s won a bumper, flat, hurdles and a chase. He isn’t the biggest but tries hard.

BALLYCRISTAL

He won is novice chase lat season but has been a bit disappointing in two starts this year. When you run him over three miles he looks like he wants two-and-half, run him over two-and-a-half and he looks like he wants three. We'll keep trying with him and he’s won a bumper, hurdle and chase for us. He'll win again.

BALLYVIC BORU

He’s won over hurdles and fences but is a little prone to injury and you have to treat him with kid gloves. He has a lot of talent and will be alight.

BARRYS JACK

He won three for us last year having got him from Ireland. He loves heavy ground and while he isn’t the biggest he’s come in fresh and well and will hopefully win a race or two.

BORDEAUX BILL

He's a horse I like. We took him to Ger Kelly because he had back issues but he’s in great fettle now and ready to run. He looks ready to roll and we’ll kick on with him. He’ll win.

CONTRE TOUS

He likes going right-handed and wants an easy track and returned at Ludlow last week. He’s capable when conditions are right.

DEFINITLY RED

He's a star and a horse who loves his work. He’ll return at Wetherby in either the Charlie Hall or three-mile hurdle. I’ll talk to Phil Martin and we’ll decide what to do. We’ll see what season we have but the Magners Cheltenham Gold Cup would be on our mind. He handles soft ground but it was too testing for him in it last season. He could go there again though. He’s improved ten pounds each year and is rated 167 now. We space his runs out, he’ll have four or five again, and has come back looking great. We’ll go to Wetherby and plan from there.

FAIR LOCH

He's the owner's pet and we didn’t pay a lot for him. He’s won a fair few races for us and runs on the flat, over hurdles and fences. He's a grand old horse.

FOREST BIHAN

He’s a horse with a lot of ability and I still think he’s better than he's shown so far. We're going to give him a spin on the flat soon and see how good he is at that. He's a good horse and takes some working with, he’s a proper work horse. There are some good pots around on the Flat nowadays but he's a horse who could go anywhere over hurdles and fences too.

INSTANT REPLAY

He ran in a few hurdle races and disappointed us so we put him over fences and he was a different horse. He won a couple but the handicapper hammered him. He started off over hurdles but will go chasing again.

LUCKY ROBIN

We got him from Ireland where he didn’t have much form but he’s won a couple for us. He was second at Sedgefield last time and is a handy sort who can go on the flat or over fences.

NIETSCHE

A good flat horse, he had a great juvenile season over hurdles, finishing third in the Fred Winter. He suffered a bit last year as they often do from four to five. He’s come in looking great and will go over fences.

PISTOL PARK

His owners love him and every year he wins. He wants soft ground and has come in looking great. He’ll win again when conditions are right.

RAVENHILL ROAD

He's pleased me with his schooling and he’s class over a fence. He’ll start out in novice chases and should be winning races. He’s a very good horse. I’m lucky to have Phil and Julie Martin in the yard as they buy good ones – and this fellow is one of them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swedish chef View Post
    No but if your interested in following any horses from his stable, they have set this up. http://www.noelmeade.com/ourhorses.html

Cheers - he has a bumoer horse i'm very interested in
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts

Thanks
    Does anyone have a link to the David Pipe stable tour in the post this week?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Brian Ellison stable tour

NIETSCHE

"A good flat horse, he had a great juvenile season over hurdles, finishing third in the Fred Winter. He suffered a bit last year as they often do from four to five. He has come in looking great and will go over fences."
    Last edited by Marb; 25th November 2018 at 2:42 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Comedy gold.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harry View Post
    Does anyone have a link to the David Pipe stable tour in the post this week?
    The was a Pipe tour in October at ATR.

http://www.attheraces.com/stable-tours/david-pipe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

harry (25th November 2018)