Thanks
    Pricewise has tipped today

Clan Des Obeaux @ 8-1 & Anibale Fly @ 50-1
    "The wise man is one who knows what he does not know"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PlaceBacker For This Useful Post:

edgt (10th January 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Rewatched this race today to see just what PP was actually like on a racetrack

Love how he just cruised into this race and how he jumped the last 2 - did strike me that he could be more of a speed horse than just a dour stayer

Surprised at how well Alboum Photo was going looking backl - would not be put off him at all

Last edited by granger; 11th January 2019 at 3:40 PM.
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to granger For This Useful Post:

edgt (11th January 2019), hezz (14th January 2019)

Thanks
    Have to say that I think that the podcast and written coverage, particularly of the Christmas races has been particularly poor with many pundits hearing another spouting off and repeating it without a fact check.

The Al Boum Photo run in the RSA is a case in point with someone saying it was a tired fall and that being repeated ad nauseum until it becomes an accepted fact (Lydia Hislop please take note).

According to many, including Julian Muscat and Sean Boyce, Kemboy doesn't go well at Cheltenham. I'd have said that 5th in the Neptune/Ballymore and 4th in the JLT wasn't too shabby.

On Percy, if my money wasn't NRNB I'd be getting decidedly edgy by now.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    I agree, and the further Kemboy has gone, the better he looks. I see a lot of love on here for Monalee and Road for Respect (but he was coming back from a break) and he absolutely murdered them. He turned in at Leopardstown absolutely swinging when everything else was off the bit. For me I think he won that very cosily and arguably, Mullins went to win the race when I doubt Ruby would have pressed the button yet. I think Percy is the best horse but only if he gets there and if he doesn't Kemboy is a good price to hit the frame NRNB for me!
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.
    Twitter

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Have to say that I think that the podcast and written coverage, particularly of the Christmas races has been particularly poor with many pundits hearing another spouting off and repeating it without a fact check.

The Al Boum Photo run in the RSA is a case in point with someone saying it was a tired fall and that being repeated ad nauseum until it becomes an accepted fact (Lydia Hislop please take note).

According to many, including Julian Muscat and Sean Boyce, Kemboy doesn't go well at Cheltenham. I'd have said that 5th in the Neptune/Ballymore and 4th in the JLT wasn't too shabby.

On Percy, if my money wasn't NRNB I'd be getting decidedly edgy by now.
    Great post this. I'm going to rewatch more races in future.

Sometimes people just repeat what they imagine happened.

Specific to podcasts, RP podcast is dirt, FF is becoming almost a cabaret which is such a shame, matchbook with Rory is better but it's gambling focused 100% fair enough given the sponsor
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Benatar was ahead of Kemboy in that JLT

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Great post this. I'm going to rewatch more races in future.

Sometimes people just repeat what they imagine happened.

Specific to podcasts, RP podcast is dirt, FF is becoming almost a cabaret which is such a shame, matchbook with Rory is better but it's gambling focused 100% fair enough given the sponsor
    not listened to FF in a long time which is a shame as kevin blake is a student of the game who i have plenty of time for

matchbook is the listen of choice at the moment when rory d is on

Thanks
    Bit harsh as he was certainly looked beat. Mistake 4 out clearly wouldn't have helped.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaggers View Post
    I agree, and the further Kemboy has gone, the better he looks. I see a lot of love on here for Monalee and Road for Respect (but he was coming back from a break) and he absolutely murdered them. He turned in at Leopardstown absolutely swinging when everything else was off the bit. For me I think he won that very cosily and arguably, Mullins went to win the race when I doubt Ruby would have pressed the button yet. I think Percy is the best horse but only if he gets there and if he doesn't Kemboy is a good price to hit the frame NRNB for me!
    Harsh to say he murdered Road to Respect who had plenty of excuses, at 4pts bigger looks a better bet to me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankel View Post
    Bit harsh as he was certainly looked beat. Mistake 4 out clearly wouldn't have helped.
    All ABP does is stay. I'm fairly confident that he would have been second had he stood up. It wasn't a tired fall whatever way you look at it but that seems to be the authorised version in medialand.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef or Salmon View Post
    Harsh to say he murdered Road to Respect who had plenty of excuses, at 4pts bigger looks a better bet to me.
    RTR slips and out first time but I don’t think he was winning or getting that close, Flanagan was bouncing before the slip to try and get rhythm, not travelling! Still a chance in the GC but happy with Kemboy!
    Twitter

Thanks
    I think the RP podcasts just depend who is on the show!
    FFP has just gone from bad to worse, Kennedy just ruins it; everyone has so much time for Blake but I just can’t hack the garbage from Kennedy - made a real farce of it!
    Twitter

Thanks
    All ABP does is stay. I'm fairly confident that he would have been second had he stood up. It wasn't a tired fall whatever way you look at it but that seems to be the authorised version in medialand.
    Well he still has that to prove really. He certainly is not slow.
    Certainly debatable if he would have finished ahead of Monalee, even if it does appear he is more one for the Ryanair this year.
    How much store we put in the Growise where he looked like winning is debatable again.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who trains a Gold Cup winner first ; WPM or Noel Meade ?

Will it be this year ?

Galmoy Hurdle Presenting Percy's preferred seasonal debut Thursday Week; I hope they get enough rain to see him run; some forecast for mid week.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by edgt View Post
    Who trains a Gold Cup winner first ; WPM or Noel Meade ?

Will it be this year ?

Galmoy Hurdle Presenting Percy's preferred seasonal debut Thursday Week; I hope they get enough rain to see him run; some forecast for mid week.
    Don't think Meade has a horse capable of it this year anyway

Thanks
    I've obviously got a vested interest so I'm just going to list some facts and let others interpret them as they wish.

There has been some comment about the Savills implying that it was a slow and muddled pace. While bearing in mind that Irish race distances and going descriptions are notoriously approximate and my own hand timings are also very much approximate, I've come up with these 'facts'.

Winning time: 6m 6.5s
    Time for final circuit: 3m 34s
    Going: Good to Yielding
    Comment: Faster than all but one of the previous ten runnings. Winner rated 157 before the race and 167 after.

Winning time: 6m 8.4s
    Time for final circuit: 3m 41s
    Going: Yielding
    Comment: Winner rated 163 before the race and 167 after.

Winning time: 6m 2.4s
    Time for final circuit: 3m 39s
    Going: Yielding
    Comment: Fastest race in the 11 years covered. Winner rated 160 before the race and 164 after.

Winning time: 6m 19.5s
    Time for final circuit: 3m 42s
    Going: Good
    Comment: Fastest going in the 11 years covered. The winner (Synchronised - 155 rated before this race) went on to win the Gold Cup in his next race off an official rating of 167.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaggers View Post
    FFP has just gone from bad to worse, Kennedy just ruins it; everyone has so much time for Blake but I just can’t hack the garbage from Kennedy - made a real farce of it!
    My thoughts exactly. As well as the thoughts of others I've spoken to.

I took a break from it for about a year. I'm back listening the last few weeks, and you can hear it in Blake's voice/laughs etc. that he's rolling his eyes at some of Kennedy's "jokes".

I can put up with his annoyance to hear what Blake has to say at the moment....although i'm not sure how long I can keep listening before I'll need another year off.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Surprised at how well Alboum Photo was going looking backl - would not be put off him at all
    He's a horse I had put a line through half-way through last season, replying to anyone that brought him up in conversation with...."can't jump"
    It didn't surprise me that he didn't complete in the RSA.

But i'm starting to think I need to re-assess my opinion.
    A novice last season, it's entirely possible his jumping will improve this season.
    It'll be interesting to see how he goes in the Irish Gold Cup.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hezz View Post
    He's a horse I had put a line through half-way through last season, replying to anyone that brought him up in conversation with...."can't jump"
    It didn't surprise me that he didn't complete in the RSA.

But i'm starting to think I need to re-assess my opinion.
    A novice last season, it's entirely possible his jumping will improve this season.
    It'll be interesting to see how he goes in the Irish Gold Cup.
    I think he is just a slow horse to come around and grow up

I really liked that RSA run when looking back at it

Thanks
    Frodon to go for this if he stays in the Cotswold.

Wise decision? If he does stay he'd have as much chance as anyone, really wide open this year.