Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebor Meeting

Thanks

Ebor Meeting

Not as cronk for this as I normally am, mainly because I can't see that many bets at this stage.

I was hoping Loxley would take in the Voltigeur prior to world domination but he ran in France a week or so ago. Cross Counter is interesting.

Don't really see a bet in the Juddmonte. Benbatl along with Thunder Snow are both going according to SBS and he looks overpriced (it wasn't much of a race he won last time in Germany but I liked the way he powered to the line) but the front of the market looks strong. Maybe back him ew on the day.

Sea of Class and Baattash aren't worth taking on. One I did see was Afaak in the 1m handicap on Thursday. He met trouble in running at Goodwood and has won over c&d. You couldn't say he was rampantly well handicapped off 104 but he'll be competitive and 9s is fair.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I reckon the going will dictate my level of enthusiasm for this year's meeting. The Ebor always appeals as a race to study and have a few bets in but not much else. The International can be a dodgepots' convention, can throw up some pretty dodgy results (Roberto beating the Brigadier and Arabian Queen immediately jump to mind) and sometimes the track doesn't help - or maybe the track is the reason.

All other things being equal, though, I'll probably give it a bit of welly.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    Sea of Class and Baattash aren't worth taking on.
    Still think SoC will win but Coronet is overpriced at around 6s. I'd make her second fav.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm really looking forward to The Ebor on Saturday.

I'm sticking to my guns on Teodoro.

I must admit, when I saw him entered in the Group Three over 10F doubts about his participation in this race were there, so I didn't back him at 25's, despite mentioning that he was 25's!

I plan to have a score on him on Thursday once we see the final declarations.

I reckon he'll start a single figure price on the day, if lining up.
    Last edited by Marb; 20th August 2018 at 7:40 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    I'm really looking forward to The Ebor on Saturday.

I'm sticking to my guns on Teodoro.

I must admit, when I saw him entered in the Group Three over 10F doubts about his participation in this race were there, so I didn't back him at 25's, despite mentioning that he was 25's!

I plan to have a score on him on Thursday once we see the final declarations.

I reckon he'll start a single figure price on the day, if lining up.
    Especially if Stratum fails to get in and he currently needs 3 to come out, albeit one of those is trained by Mullins. Different owner though for all that’s worth.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    I'm boycotting the Ebor (race) That level of prize money for a handicap is ridiculous. And without 3yos it's **** anyway.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    I'm boycotting the Ebor (race) That level of prize money for a handicap is ridiculous. And without 3yos it's **** anyway.
    I'm sure your protest will be duly noted!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    GRACIOUS JOHN (1:55) E/W is a very reliable horse, with an excellent win strike rate., both on turf and all weather surfaces. What caught my eye, is the five pound turn around in the weights he has with the top weight Tiz Marvellous, when he was only beaten a length or so by that horse the last day at Ascot. In terms of weights and measurements, five pound is a healthy weight turnaround for Gracious John to try and exploit. He rates good each way value at around 16/1.

Later on the card, watch out for HERE AND NOW (4:15), trained by Ralph Beckett. His Dam Look Here was memorably trained by the same trainer and was an Oaks winner in her own right. Here And Now's best run by far came here in The Melrose handicap last season when finishing in third place. Having only had two runs this season, it looks like Here And Now has been slow to come to hand, but was keeping on well on his second start here at York, with the first time tongue tie, which he appropriately wears again tomorrow. 8:13 is a good racing weight. He could easily start favourite. Good luck tomorrow to one-and-all!
    Last edited by Marb; 21st August 2018 at 8:42 PM.

Thanks
    I've backed Benbatl for the Juddmonte as I hinted I would but not each way, it's too competitive. Just a min bet at 12s. I'm also tempted by Saxon Warrior who is 6.8 on the machine. That's too big also but the stable form is a worry.

The Pentagon is also overpriced in the Voltigeur. He ran a cracker in the Curragh considering the pace was all against him. This one is each way.
    Last edited by Euronymous; 21st August 2018 at 6:17 PM.

Thanks
    I'm finding it hard to look past Poets Word, but I'd give a value shout to Latrobe, who is much bigger than he should be at 20/1.

Thanks
    Lost an essay saying there is juice in laying PV at 6/4 and if Roaring Lion is available at 3/1 with the Stoke boys he is the bet of the week.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I thought The Juddmonte was a harder race to try to solve than betting odds make it look.

Very tentatively I'm with Luke, so Roaring Lion is the one for my (hopefully bombproof) each way lucky 15.
    Last edited by Marb; 21st August 2018 at 8:39 PM.

Thanks
    I've had an ew lucky 15
    The Pentagon
    Afaak
    Coronet
    Blue Point

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 874 Posts
    Kew Gardens has to cede 5lbs to Cross Counter in the Voltigeur, but there's a good reason why, and the Mafia should ensure enough pace to see him home here.
    Bet of the day is reserved for Genetics in the 4.15. (8/1 B365). Generally thought to be flattered by his wide margin Shergar Cup win, truth is, the field was strung out like 3m chasers early, yet he was up in the van for the whole of the race, and still stormed home with none of the 'disadvantaged' horses making ground on him. Looks surefire to improve again for the extra distance, and his connections clearly think so; running him here in preference to an equally valuable 12f race on Friday.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to reet hard For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (22nd August 2018)

Thanks
    I fancy Boom The Groom to run a big race in the 1:55. Very well handicapped on the best of his old form.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thunder Snow at 25/1 is the value of the day.
    A proper Group 1 horse, hard knocking with no bad run since his Kentucky Derby blip, he would be value to me at half the price.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LUKE View Post
    Lost an essay saying there is juice in laying PV at 6/4 and if Roaring Lion is available at 3/1 with the Stoke boys he is the bet of the week.

Oi oi.

SlimChance
    Oi oi.
    Couldn't have gone more to plan. They really stitched up the fav.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    Later on the card, watch out for HERE AND NOW (4:15), trained by Ralph Beckett. His Dam Look Here was memorably trained by the same trainer and was an Oaks winner in her own right. Here And Now's best run by far came here in The Melrose handicap last season when finishing in third place. Having only had two runs this season, it looks like Here And Now has been slow to come to hand, but was keeping on well on his second start here at York, with the first time tongue tie, which he appropriately wears again tomorrow. 8:13 is a good racing weight. He could easily start favourite. Good luck tomorrow to one-and-all!
    Impressive winner. Nice shout, Marble.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Marb (23rd August 2018)

Thanks
    Nice, Luke!