Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Novice Chasers 2018/2019

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    9 times out of 100 more like not many win group 1's as seniors

Plenty races for him with the way he jumped and quickened.

I imagine Hobbs will go Arkle with him as he clearly ran a great race but simply didn't stay.........
    I really dont think not staying was the issue - that doesnt mean he won't be better over a minimum trip

Defi was pulling further and further away from those behind so I really don't think trip can be a huge factor here

For the record, I liked the winner

Defi strikes me as something for next year's grand annual - I like Hobbs so don't mind being proven wrong on him
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauto Abu View Post
    That win yesterday for LIT for me just demonstrates even more what a mare La Bague Au Roi is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She'll find things much tougher later make no mistake about that

LIT would have needed it first time up as he looked the winner and just got run out of it. He Blundered badly and lost all chance next time.

PN horse had her well beat in the Kauto Star but is a complete pig and chucked it plus Santini who ran a shocker would have beaten them both in had it been a bit longer.

I see Colin Tizzard is suggesting a rematch an is out to prove the point.

When the others get their acts together her run will come to a sudden end
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks

Novice Chasers 2018/2019

She’ll do for me Tanlic. That’s twice now she’s beaten LIT and the 2nd time none of them could live with her jumping. That’s what caused him to make a balls of the third last. She may not be a Cheltenham mare tho. Possible Aintree instead but if she did take them on again I know where my money would be going. Conceding 7lbs to her is a tall ask.

Last edited by Kauto Abu; 2nd January 2019 at 11:24 AM.

Thanks
    Macaire bringing Master Dino to Plumpton and targeting the JLT.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    ........and the £60k bonus

Thanks
    Looks a cracking race at the 5 day stage. Lets hope most of them turn up

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauto Abu View Post
    She’ll do for me Tanlic. That’s twice now she’s beaten LIT and the 2nd time none of them could live with her jumping. That’s what caused him to make a balls of the third last. She may not be a Cheltenham mare tho. Possible Aintree instead but if she did take them on again I know where my money would be going. Conceding 7lbs to her is a tall ask.
    Greatrex said as much and being targeted at the Dublin racing festival I think

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Perpetual For This Useful Post:

Kauto Abu (2nd January 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    He was actually over 7 lengths behind and that's where he was 3 out.

The first 2 never asked their mounts for anything until turning in and by that time the ridden Black Op had gained a bit and got within 3 lengths but as soon as the front 2 asked he lost that ground again.

He would certainly have finished closer but for mistakes but you are talking about a genuine group 1 novice hurdler.

That was as good a novice as we have seen this season and good enough for the winner to be made clear fav for the JLT.
    'As good a novice as we've seen this season' is another way of reading it I suppose Tanlic. Black Op made up ground between 3 and 2 out, and then held that distance all the way to the line. Given his jumping varied between sticky and serious mistakes, I'm not sure how you can maintain that was as good a novice as we've seen. I can't have that in any way, and I reckon both of the first two, whilst decent, will be comfortably be beaten in Grade 1 Novice Chases at the Festival.
    Last edited by Maruco; 2nd January 2019 at 2:22 PM.

Thanks
    I should add that I think Lostintranslation looked as though he'd improve again for a step up in trip. The problem Tizzard has is he looks as though he lacks a gear for two and a half in the JLT, and the RSA is looking particularly hot this year if he steps him up in trip.

Defi is now a bit of a conundrum. Not the pace for two miles at the top level, but didn't see out two and a half. Hard to know what the plan would be with him now. Most likely back to two miles you'd think. Great to see him back to something like his best though.

Thanks
    The 13.10 at Plumpton in Sunday is a cracker and the highlight of the weekend for me

Great to see Master Dino turning up to take on Knocknanuss, Glenlow, Slate House and a couple of others. Not sure it's a a betting race, but a back to lay of Knocknanuss could be profitable, as think he can only go one way - blasting out from the front

Thanks
    Glenloe running for a UK handicap mark I'd assume, so Gordon know which was to go with him.

Thanks
    Black Op - Abandon ship.

Back to hurdling for rest of season. Adds a new dimension to the Stayers Hurdle!
    Last edited by Frankel; 4th January 2019 at 8:28 PM.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankel View Post
    Black Op - Abandon ship.

Back to hurdling for rest of season. Adds a new dimension to the Stayers Hurdle!
    And Kilbricken Storm.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Last year’s novice-hurdlers being exposed as distinctly ordinary, every time one of them runs. I’d be inclined to oppose them in open company myself.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Last year’s novice-hurdlers being exposed as distinctly ordinary, every time one of them runs. I’d be inclined to oppose them in open company myself.
    Yep. A year on chasing that regressed them further
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    I've said that for a while now.

Thanks
    Cilaos Emery given a 2m Novice Chase entry this Saturday @ Fairyhouse.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    It looks like I'll have to revisit my standard times for Cheltenham.

I've just compared the sectionals between The Worlds End and Cogry in their respective races on 14 December and found the opposite of what I was expecting.

I had TWE 24lbs faster overall based on the standard times I use (the old Chaseform ones) but comparing their sectionals suggests there's something not right somewhere.

I timed the races from the second fence in Cogry's race (the first in TWE's race) and from there to the finish Cogry was about 3 seconds faster. Now his race was a good-sized handicap clearly run at a strong pace which seemed to pick up further when Theatre Territory moved alongside Cogry on the second circuit. Cogry basically then ran the guts out of the mare and it was left to Rolling Dylan and the more conservatively ridden Singlefarmpayment to have a go at Cogry from two out. In a three-way photo Cogry got back up to touch off SFP. He ran the distance from the last to the line a second (four or five lengths) faster than TWE. That's pretty good for a 140-odd handicapper.

On the other hand, TWE was carrying 8lbs more and was never asked a serious question from the moment he burned off the conservatively-ridden Ibis Du Rheu a few fences out. The chances are the latter didn't truly stay or it's possible he wasn't quite over his previous race. But TWE jumped beautifully the whole way round and was never seriously challenged. How much faster he can run I don't know.

My enthusiasm for his RSA chances are somewhat diminished by this discovery but those standard times have served me well over time so I'm not entirely of a mind to give up on the horse. At least the prices I have for the RSA are decent.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Very impressive from ok Corral today. JP must be tempted to go RSA now, considering he has nothing else for it and on today's performance and form lines through Rocky's treasure and Santini, they've absolutely nothing to fear. Clearly stays and didn't look to lack any pace today either. Love to see him take on LBAR at the DRF in 3 weeks.

Thanks
    While it was visually quite impressive I reckon it’s a long way short of the form Delta Work, Topofthegame, and Santini have shown. Pretty sure Rocky was off his game quite considerably and I’d be surprised if they rerouted OK Corral to the RSA. The fact they got Derek O’Connor over is surely an indication he goes for the NH chase