Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noel Meade

Thanks

Noel Meade

Is he just going through a five year bad patch or is he just hopeless nowadays?

His Cheltenham form was a standing joke back in the day when he used to be Champion in Ireland but now he's carried that form to his domestic runners.

Time to pack it in maybe?

Thanks
    You'd have to question the type of horses they are getting in and who is making hose decisions.

Thanks
    Apache Stronghold looks a horse of enormous potential. And I like Monksland a lot.

So a lot will depend on those two.

But I dont know what happened with Realt Dubh, that horse has been a big disappointment. And he should never have run Pandorama in Long Run's Gold Cup.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    Apache Stronghold looks a horse of enormous potential. And I like Monksland a lot.

So a lot will depend on those two.

But I dont know what happened with Realt Dubh, that horse has been a big disappointment. And he should never have run Pandorama in Long Run's Gold Cup.
    Pando was a terrible call

Wounded Warrior entered my notebook today, let's see what NM does with this one
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    He has pointed to the rise of the Mullins yard saying he cant compete in the sales ring with him....When asked can he ever be Champion trainer again.

"He has all the big owners and he is continually topping the sales, buying point-to-point winners and filling his boxes with new ones. No, I don’t think anyone is going to topple Willie for quite some time".

Though he still gets Gigginstown & JP Mc horses which he can be judged on.

Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Pando was a terrible call

Wounded Warrior entered my notebook today, let's see what NM does with this one
    As far as I remember he was really against running Pandorama but owner insisted.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thehorsesmouth View Post
    As far as I remember he was really against running Pandorama but owner insisted.
    possibly, cant quite remember.

Meade seems to have a problem with keeping some of his better horses healthy
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thehorsesmouth View Post
    That's the way I remember it too.

Thanks
    The Pandorama call still sits in my gut like rat poison. I never knew it was the owners call, and if so, while I don't wish bad on any horse, the owner deserves what's happened the horse since. Momentously stupid call.

Nicanor
    Aran Concerto
    Go Native
    Pandorama
    Sword Of Destiny
    Iktitaf
    Casey Jones

Has had some bad luck with these hasn't he, probably more that's just off the top of my head!

The likes of Jered and Muirhead never really went on either.
    Last edited by thehorsesmouth; 12th January 2014 at 11:12 PM.

Thanks

And his jockeys too?

Thanks
    It's interesting to compare his record from hurdles to fences. His record with his chasers doesn't come close to his hurdles or Bumper record. In the last 5 years his win ratio in Bumpers is 22%, Hurdles is 17%, and Chases 12%. I suspect that may have been even more pronounced previously.

Anybody have any theories other than he burns horses, or can't teach them to jump a fence?! I suspect he has always looked for smaller speedier types through the sales ring, and maybe hasn't really changed. It's not all about being able to compete with Mullins, but also about what he sets out to buy.

Thanks
    He used to be very good at getting horses fitter than those of his rivals very early into the season. Maintaining this level of fitness over the course of a season would be very hard to maintain over the course of a season.

Thanks
    He's on record as saying that he ruined too many good horses in winners bumpers. So we may not have seen a lot of his decent horses.

I also think that over the years Paul Carberry made his horses look better than they sometimes are. They were all machines after winning a maiden hurdle as they won on the bridle but Carberry is all legs and most of them are flat out when winning on the bridle.

I could never understand the head carriage of a lot of his horses like Harchibald and Iktitaf etc. It was like they had a wind problem and were gasping for air but a lot of them had the same problem.

He's still a top class trainer but I think the recession took its toll on him. He is like Martin, lots of builder owners keeping the yard going. Now he is down to Gigginstown, McManus, Sloan, Hunt. He will never get too many from the first two, as they need to spread it around, and Sloan seems to be using Elliott more. Hunt is providing him with some point to point ammunition.

I presume Nina and Paul are going to take over the yard in a few years time?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    It's interesting to compare his record from hurdles to fences. His record with his chasers doesn't come close to his hurdles or Bumper record. In the last 5 years his win ratio in Bumpers is 22%, Hurdles is 17%, and Chases 12%. I suspect that may have been even more pronounced previously.

Anybody have any theories other than he burns horses, or can't teach them to jump a fence?! I suspect he has always looked for smaller speedier types through the sales ring, and maybe hasn't really changed. It's not all about being able to compete with Mullins, but also about what he sets out to buy.
    Anyone can train a bumper winner, and its not much harder to get them to hop a hurdle. A fence is a different story and requires and different type of horse and trainer.....i couldnt imagine Harvey Smith having much in the way of decent Hurdlers!

Thanks
    Nina has already began her raining career with him and Paul has plans to train to from what I remember.

Meade does like his bumper horses alright

Thanks
    Well I`d still raise my hat to him as one of the greatest ever.

Thanks
    He has had some very bad back issues. Probably removed some of his hunger

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakers View Post
    He has pointed to the rise of the Mullins yard saying he cant compete in the sales ring with him....When asked can he ever be Champion trainer again.

"He has all the big owners and he is continually topping the sales, buying point-to-point winners and filling his boxes with new ones. No, I don’t think anyone is going to topple Willie for quite some time".

Though he still gets Gigginstown & JP Mc horses which he can be judged on.
    Good result for him today

Thanks
    He has some good horses to go to war with if his heart is still in it.