Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thyestes Chase Thurs Jan 24th Gowran Park

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts

Thyestes Chase Thurs Jan 24th Gowran Park

Willie Mullins and Gordon Elliott have both put two of their 2019 Magners Gold Cup entries in the Goffs Thyestes Chase at Gowran Park on Thursday, January 24th.The champion trainer has included Cheltenham Festival hopes Total Recall and Invitation Only in his entry of 15 horses. A six-time winner of the race, Mullins has also entered Pleasant Company, Pairofbrowneyes, Up For Review and the Grade 2 novice chase winner Some Neck in the race.
    Last year's hero Monbeg Notorious and the 2016 runner-up Mala Beach are among Gordon Elliott’s Cheltenham Gold Cup entries and they head his team of 10 in the Goffs Thyestes Chase.
    Both feature towards the head of the handicap as do Alpha Des Obeaux and Dounikos. The Elliott-trained Space Cadet, Woods Well and Out Sam, third, fifth and sixth in the race last year are also among the entries.
    In all there are 46 horses going forward for the latest renewal of this historic race, an increase of nine on last year. Successful with My Murphy in 2016, Liam Burke could seek further success with Sumos Novios.
    Ted Walsh was a winner with Roc De Prince in 1991 and has entered Any Second Now whose owner JP McManus could also be represented by the Noel Meade-trained De Name Escapes Me and the Paul Nolan-trained Fitzhenry.
    Valseur Lido heads a trio that Henry De Bromhead has to choose from, and from Britain, David Pipe could have his first runners in the race as he has entered both his Tommy Whittle Handicap Chase winner Daklondike and Ramses De Teillee, runner-up to Elegant Escape in the Welsh Grand National at Chepstow late last month.
    Eddie Scally, General Manager of Gowran Park, said: "We are delighted to see such a competitive looking field gearing up for our 2019 Goffs Thyestes Chase. Monbeg Notorious will no doubt prove very popular on the day with punters after his 2018 exploits but no doubt he will have plenty to worry about with the highly rated Mala Beach and Total Recall also in the entry list.
    "It's exciting to see David Pipe with two entries for the race most notably Ramses De Teillee which was just touched off in the Welsh National over Christmas. Fingers crossed we will see enough rain over the coming weeks to keep ground conditions perfect for the big day and hopefully another thrilling Goffs Thyestes Chase."

Entries

https://www.irishracing.com/card?rac...d=201901241500

Thanks
    Fingers crossed we will see enough rain over the coming weeks to keep ground conditions perfect for the big day
    It would take an Old Testament flood to produce the bottomless going usually experienced on Thyestes day

Thanks
    Four days of rain forecast between now and then.
    Last edited by LUKE; 15th January 2019 at 7:15 PM.

Thanks
    Should he take his chance then I'll be disappointed if Walk to Freedom doesn't run well in this off 135 back over fences. 14/1 best price right now.

Tough old race to call though.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Final declarations

Thanks
    There is a drop in quality in the under card for this meeting. There used to be a winners' juvenile hurdle, a winners' novice chase (the Shaun Spadah chase) and a winners' bumper on this card.

Perhaps the DRF is to blame.
    Last edited by Grey; 23rd January 2019 at 3:25 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    There is a drop in quality in the under card for this meeting. There used to be a winners' juvenile hurdle, a winners' novice chase (the Shaun Spadah chase) and a winners' bumper on this card.

Real feast in one weekend results in a famine for much of Jan/Feb

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post

This is the biggest race day of the year in the southeast of Ireland -the drop in quality is unfortunate.My personal opinion is they should increase the prize money for the big race by 50% and run it on a Saturday.

Thanks
    The Galmoy and beginners chase both look interesting, possibly more so than the Thyestes.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Don slowly goes tomorrow, reckon he'll need to start by 0900 to finish in the first three!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    interesting that Patrick rides Mall Dini in Thyestes Chase.
    He still qualifies for NH 4 mile chase so OK Corral may not have it all his own way come March.
    Can Patrick do 11=3 with any comfort ?

Thanks
    His lowest riding weight in the last 12 months was 11-0, according to the RP.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by edgt View Post
    interesting that Patrick rides Mall Dini in Thyestes Chase.
    He still qualifies for NH 4 mile chase so OK Corral may not have it all his own way come March.
    Can Patrick do 11=3 with any comfort ?
    Despite being a huge OK Corral fan for the NH Chase I had to take the 20/1 e/w NRNB about Mall Dini in the same race as soon as I saw Patrick was jocked up tomorrow. Partly because I’m chasing the last two festival losses back from hm but IMO They should have gone for the 4 mile race last year and for the second year in a row he finished the shorter trip, handicap full of running.

Over 4 miles he’s going to be incredibly hard to keep out of the frame. He’s rated 149 in Ireland so let’s say he’d be early to mid 150s over here (ruling him out of the handicap this year). To put that into perspective, that’s the same sort of mark the past three winners of the Cheltenham race were running off in the aftermath of the race.

Plus Mall Dini will be vastly more experienced than the rest of the field with a great record at the meeting too.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wilsonl For This Useful Post:

edgt (23rd January 2019)

Thanks
    Third season novice -not many of them win at the festival.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Poor old White Star Line might have had he not gone from us.

Thanks
    Agreed but he’s a novice who could quite conceivably, and easily be 3/3 at the festival instead of 1/3 and who looked to be crying out for this trip in the last two efforts.
    Last edited by wilsonl; 23rd January 2019 at 9:58 PM.

Thanks
    I’ve taken a bit of a flyer here and backed the 12yo Isleofhopendreams e/w @ 20/1. The trainer’s record in the race barely needs mentioning, albeit his horses have been a bit hit and miss this season.

Despite this one’s age he’s only contested a handful of chases, goes well fresh, will have no problems with trip or ground and was putting up a decent effort in this last year until losing momentum when clouting the 4th last. He wasn’t given a hard time of it after that and didn’t actually appear to be that far adrift when being pulled up. His subsequent efforts that season, when runner up in three of the most significant staying chases in Ireland proved he’s better than that and I’m hopeful he can go close off his highest mark to-date.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've done two.
    Isleofhopendreams,so I hope you are right,and Up for review.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I am keen on Some Neck for the Thyestes and have backed him at 11/1. I plan to dutch Arctic Fire and Ex Patriot in the Beginners Chase.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."