Thread: Calling techies... again!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts

Calling techies... again!

I've mentioned before how hopeless I am with techie stuff so if any kind-hearted soul out there can help:

Quick background issue - Mrs O and I are trying to downsize. The old hacienda is just too big for us plus we want to free up some capital to finance a property in Spain. We've already dispatched umpteen bags to the local recycling centre and even more to the local charity shop but there is some stuff that is too good for that (or that they won't want). There's lots of stuff I want to sell either via auction, ebay or gumtree (which I was told about today).

I can take photos with my mobile phone (an iphone I inherited from Mrs O when she upgraded) but I can't upload the photos to my laptop with a view to using the pictures on ebay etc to try and sell the stuff.

I went into Youtube to look at videos on how to do it but my laptop isn't doing what's happening in the videos.

Anyone able to help?

If the worst comes to the worst I might be able to use a camera with one of those little discy thingies as I've looked at holiday photos that way but I don't know if I can access photos from that for this purpose.

Edit - just in case any of you lot are loaded enough, here is the house we're trying to sell (an old photo but the only decent one I could access). Five public rooms, five bedrooms, four bathrooms, not far off 4000 square feet. A house along the road sold recently at £162 per square foot (according to the estate agent), which would value our house in excess of £650,000. We'd consider offers around that.

img014.jpg
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 2nd August 2018 at 5:37 PM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Can you email the pictures to yourself and log onto webmail on the laptop?

TBH there's a few ways that are probably better but that tends to be the easiest.

Thanks
    Not an answer to the technical stuff but just to say I've recently bought a few things from another site called Marketplace....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to moehat For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (2nd August 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    add a google photos account to your iPhone, back up all your photos, access google photos through the laptop, right click, save as

I would have thought though, just plugging the phone into the laptop would see it as a drive and you could go in through there?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dvds2000 View Post
    I would have thought though, just plugging the phone into the laptop would see it as a drive and you could go in through there?
    I followed one of the Youtube videos pretty much that far but there's no photo file found.

Thanks
    Looking at that photo, while we're basking in 30 degrees, It looks like you're having a typical Scottish Summer Maurice.

Thanks
    In order to download photos to laptop/PC via a USB cable make sure the phone is enabled as a Camera, not as a Media Device. On my Samsung Smartphone a pop-up appears on plugging it in, giving you the enable options

Thanks
    Thanks, Drone. I'll try that as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    Looking at that photo, while we're basking in 30 degrees, It looks like you're having a typical Scottish Summer Maurice.
    Too true!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    from memory, you need to be in internal storage then go to the folder DCIM, they should be in there

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    14c when I went out at about 11.30am. Bit warmer now!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    I just left my job at eBay DO

Download the eBay app and just upload the photos direct from your phone to the app

They have it basically foolproof*

*hopefully
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Can I do that to my laptop, granger?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    There is a way but it involves a few steps

Apps are designed for phones and tablets
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I've mentioned before how hopeless I am with techie stuff so if any kind-hearted soul out there can help:

Quick background issue - Mrs O and I are trying to downsize. The old hacienda is just too big for us plus we want to free up some capital to finance a property in Spain. We've already dispatched umpteen bags to the local recycling centre and even more to the local charity shop but there is some stuff that is too good for that (or that they won't want). There's lots of stuff I want to sell either via auction, ebay or gumtree (which I was told about today).

I can take photos with my mobile phone (an iphone I inherited from Mrs O when she upgraded) but I can't upload the photos to my laptop with a view to using the pictures on ebay etc to try and sell the stuff.

I went into Youtube to look at videos on how to do it but my laptop isn't doing what's happening in the videos.

Anyone able to help?

If the worst comes to the worst I might be able to use a camera with one of those little discy thingies as I've looked at holiday photos that way but I don't know if I can access photos from that for this purpose.

Edit - just in case any of you lot are loaded enough, here is the house we're trying to sell (an old photo but the only decent one I could access). Five public rooms, five bedrooms, four bathrooms, not far off 4000 square feet. A house along the road sold recently at £162 per square foot (according to the estate agent), which would value our house in excess of £650,000. We'd consider offers around that.

img014.jpg
    Jesus wept Des if your downsizing where are the Butlers and the maids going to live ? Are you King of Scotland or something ? I'd fit my house in your garage haha.

I feel like a complete council slag after seeing that. Fair play though mate should see you having a good retirement. Sorry can't be any help on the Tech stuff I'm utterly useless with that kind of things also.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    DO you can feel free to pop over to my gaff and we'll get it sorted out if you like. I've got a feeling we could be here a while trying to explain everything on the forum!! ��

I'm about 25 mins away from yours.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Jesus wept Des if your downsizing where are the Butlers and the maids going to live ? Are you King of Scotland or something ? I'd fit my house in your garage haha.

I feel like a complete council slag after seeing that. Fair play though mate should see you having a good retirement. Sorry can't be any help on the Tech stuff I'm utterly useless with that kind of things also.
    In my head I'm still a council slag, Danny. I was brought up in a council house, only leaving when I got married. Fortunately both Mrs O and I worked (as teachers) but the first ten years or so were very hard as the salary was very modest. When I started teaching in 1980 the annual salary was about £3000pa, which was less than my father was earning as an engineer and mates who'd gone into computing were earning "more than we can spend" as one guy put it. From memory he was on about £25kpa at the time.

The house was a self-build project so at the time it cost a lot less than its value to build. Mrs O and I have been very fortunate - we really do know that - with our house moves down the years.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Danny (7th August 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simmo View Post
    DO you can feel free to pop over to my gaff and we'll get it sorted out if you like. I've got a feeling we could be here a while trying to explain everything on the forum!! ��

I'm about 25 mins away from yours.
    I might take you up on that, simmo. Offer appreciated.