Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eclipse Stakes

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Did anyone else think John Gosden was being politely critical of Oisin Murphy's ride in the immediate aftermath of the race?
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Rather than blaming his jockey, I think he was politely implying that Ballydoyle were using team tactics.

Before the race he told his jockey that since his horse settles there was no need to seek cover and risk getting boxed in.

After the race he said this:
    “He [Lordan] was riding, quite correctly, to give Saxon Warrior all the room he wanted to come out,” Gosden said. “If you watch the race, it was fascinating tactics, as usual. And it got us in trouble, it got us three wide and it got us further back than we wanted. They were tempting us to drop in but if you drop in, someone then goes and puts you in the box.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Thanks, Grey. I was referring to his immediate post-race comments when Clownman was being his usual ignorant self and trying to interrupt him. He said something along the lines of Murphy being very cool (more than once) but I picked it up in such a way as to say Murphy got into trouble there and was further back then he was supposed to be but still got out of it.

But what you've quoted maybe clarifies what he meant.
    Illegitimi non carborundum