Thread: Town Centres...are central government and local authorities making the most of it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries

Town Centres...are central government and local authorities making the most of it?

I haven't got time to visit every high street, town centre. city centre, in the land etc, but we do all know how many of our high streets aren't the same anymore...I'm just wondering whether any of our members on here, could crunch some data, numbers etc, to help me understand whether, if, and how central government, local authorities, (and the investment houses that owns the properties on our high streets) could get their heads together, to use many of the large empty apartment stores, to create new social housing?

This would certainly help in our noble ambitions to take more refugees from places like Syria and other war torn counties, aswell as housing our own, would it not? I'm sure this isn't first time someone has asked this, but if anyone can input, please do.
    Last edited by Marb; 30th June 2018 at 7:32 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Bump.

Banned
    Thanks
    more refugees... you lunatic

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I bumped this thread because it was interesting what the chancellor said today about using the 'irreversible' demise of the high street and the focus on residential housing on high streets that will never be the same. That was my point. In any event ,yes, I would take more refugees from places like Syria , if the provisions were there, but that might mean less people arriving from other parts of the world, including Europe. Thankfully you don't have to worry about me running for Prime Minister, sir.
    Last edited by Marb; 29th October 2018 at 6:37 PM.

Thanks
    Did Mr Hammond really say the decline of the high street is irreversible? If any Irish politician said that they'd be lynched.

Town centres once upon a time used to have a lot more people living in them, including in the upstairs of commercial premises. Given the efforts that are in the offing to improve air quality and make life easier for cyclists and pedestrians, I think town centres will be able to attract new residents, even as their commercial vocation is losing out to online shopping.

But one way to help the local economy is to support local businesses. When doing your Christmas shopping buy from a local who will spend their profit in their community rather than ordering from a warehouse on the edge of a motorway.
    Last edited by Grey; 30th October 2018 at 1:52 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post

But one way to help the local economy is to support local businesses. When doing your Christmas shopping buy from a local who will spend their profit in their community rather than ordering from a warehouse on the edge of a motorway.
    I do try to do this, Ed. BUT: Yesterday I needed a new LED light for my bike to replace the one I broke. My local bike shop on Johnstown Rd, which I have bought from for years, €34.99. Amazon delivered: €8.99. Same model, brand.

Sometimes its hard to do the right thing.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    City centres have become indecently expensive places to live so creating more living spaces within them will only attract people with the wherewithal to buy and maintain them. I can't imagine social housing in them being viable.

Town centres are becoming increasingly despondent and depressing places to walk through, with closed shops, charity shops, bookies and pawnshops dominating them ahead of fastfood outlets and coffee shops.

I'm no accountant but it seems local authorities are making town centres too expensive for moderate-income shops to survive in. Maybe reducing rates to a bare minimum would encourage more people to risk opening up a shop. I don't know.

I'm with AC. I'll shop locally if I can but when income is limited (not in An's case, obviously ) 'a penny saved is a penny earned'.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 30th October 2018 at 10:11 AM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum