Thread: Anyone know anything about bees?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts

Anyone know anything about bees?

It looks like we have bees nesting in our house. (Not inside, as far as I can see but where the wall meets the roof - must be a slight gap around there somewhere.)

Environmental services say they won't come for bees. Apparently beekeepers might come and take away honeybee hive but I reckon, going by online pictures, ours are bumblebees.

I'd rather not exterminate them. If anyone knows a good way of 'chasing' them away I'd prefer not to have to worry about going outside in case they do the unlikely and think I'm a threat.

Apparently the colony will die in the autumn but that could mean another three-to-five months of them being in the house.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks

Anyone know anything about bees?

Aren’t bumblebees protected? Please don’t kill them if they are ( any kind of !) bees - we don’t have enough of them left... and I’m pretty sure bumble bees are quite placid usually.

I reckon your best bet is to find a friendly local beekeeper - though im sure I read that a lot of the time when they land they are only resting rather than actually nesting - and bumblebees don’t normally swarm I thought?

Please keep us updated - I love bees, they are the only ones with the decency to die if they sting you!

Edited to add - found this, might help a bit? https://www.bumblebeeconservation.or...ked-questions/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by trudij; 29th June 2018 at 12:54 PM.
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Thanks
    We have them this summer under our shed. They are in and out all day but don't bother us although our puppy is very interested in them.

Thanks
    There's a lot of bumblebees around this year, including a good number of the usually scarce red-tailed species. Nice, particularly as the poor old honeybee continues to struggle

Babbitty Bumble is much less aggressive than honeybees and wasps, and will only sting if the nest is disturbed or if a concerted effort is made to annoy an individual

I'd put up with them and feel rather proud they've chosen to take up temporary residence with you, as I do the Housemartins who nest in the eaves and sh1t all over the brickwork, windows, pavement and on one occasion, my head: a pain but a pleasure to have them here
    Last edited by Drone; 30th June 2018 at 10:18 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well said, Sir.

We are envious of your housemartins, we have been trying to attract them for years.

By the way, your username suggests you are into bees!
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. Having read into it a bit more we accept that we've no real need to worry and will just have to 'enjoy' their company until the colony dies, if that's what happens, or abandons the nest.

I haven't killed one since I was a kid and was told they won't sting unless they feel threatened so I'm usually happy to watch them go about their buzziness (sorry). I just wasn't sure about large numbers of them and there are two small kids next door.

I've also read that bumblebees can multiple-sting whereas honeybees die if they sting once.

Last year I had to rescue a blue tit chick who had got to ground inside my garage without being able to fly. I knew where the nest was (in the eaves) and left the chick within sight of the nest. Soon enough the parents came along and took turns at feeding the chick but after about half an hour a big bastartin magpie came and swooped the wee fella away, hotly pursued by a host of blue tits. Nature at its rawest in the leafy surroundings of a rural market town. I was close to tears.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 30th June 2018 at 5:04 PM.

Thanks
    I was most miffed at the sparrows chasing off the housemartins that used to nest in my eaves.

It would seem that UK xenophobia isn't confined to people.

******* BNP sparrows!
    Last edited by simmo; 30th June 2018 at 5:34 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Magpies are mean bastards, saw one take two blackbird chicks, pitiful to hear the calls of the blackbird parents.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    My neighbours and I have found we are jointly hosting a bee's nest this year. The entrance to it is where the wall meets the roof, right on the dividing line between the two houses. There's no problem, the bees must have already been there quite a while before we even noticed them.

Thanks
    So far so good for us. The numbers don't seem to be on the up and they're pretty much confining themselves to themselves.