• Stay

23 58.97%
  • Leave

16 41.03%
Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Brexit - Two Years After

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    Meanwhile, according to the numbers, our poll is looking like 70 percent remain, 30 percent leave. Time being the great healer that it is...and hindsight, being the devil's advocate it always was...
    Not yet reached half the number of votes cast in the first poll, hopefully they'll continue to dribble in

Thanks
    What would happen if they had another referendum and remain won? Do they make it best of 3?
    Last edited by tiggers1972; 5th July 2018 at 9:12 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggers1972 View Post
    What would happen if they had another referendum and remain won? Do they make it best of 3?
    And if they voted the same as last time I hope they remember that best of 5 is the fairest way

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I reckon after last night's Spotlight report the referendum should be declared null, void and never to be repeated. After all, entry to the EU was meant to be irrevocable in the first place.

But the levels of corruption and collusion in breaking the rules on funding by Leave shocked even me.

If ever a result should be declared illegal it is the referendum result.

And we pour scorn upon tinpot dictators who stop at nothing to ensure the result goes their way. Leave have shown themselves to be no different and look at the state it has got our economy into.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (7th July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,180 Posts
    A lovely soft brexit the gammons must be seething,let the carnage begin i can't wait!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggers1972 View Post
    To some extent, the next referendum would be the third after 1975, & 2017
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Thanks
    If Theresa May wants out of Brexit (and there's little evidence she does) but if she did, the best way of doing it would be under the guise of national security

She needs to pull Alex Younger in and ask him to write her a secret memo that implicates the unofficial leave campaign having colluded with Russia. Remember Robert Mueller has named Nigel Farage as a person of interest whom he wants to talk to (would be amusing to see Farage hiding behind the European Human Rights Act to avoid going to America incidentally). Basically though, if she implicates the unofficial campaign she shields many of her own MP's, whilst casting Farage, UKIP et al as traitors. It would be a very brave (or incredibly stupid) bunch of MP's who were prepared to put their hand in the fire for Farage under these circumstances. It would also cut off UKIP at a stroke as life raft for would be dissident Tories, who would be forced to fall in line, and especially if the memo alluded to evidence provided by foreign allies (code for CIA)

The whole thing is a gigantic accident anyway which has its roots in David Cameron (the worst Prime Minister in history, so hang your heads in shame all those of you voted for him) telling the BBC's James Landale that he wouldn't seek a third term. If Cameron had kept his mouth shut, the Boris Johnson would have campaigned for remain, and they'd have won. The only reason Boris jumped the way he did was because he realised that in order to become PM he needed to expand his support base beyond the 40 or so MP's he could muster to get himself into the final two of a leadership contest. If Boris could do this, then he'd stand a chance when his candidacy was put to the wider party (probably against George Osborne). Boris duly realised that the only bloc within the parliamentary party capable of propelling him over the necessary threshold was the Eurosceptic wing and so he joined them in the hope of getting in the region of 120+ votes some 18 months later. He figured remain would win, but if he campaigned for leave, and was seen to have played a good innings, he could lever that support into his leadership bid. He got it wrong though. He completely cocked it up. Instead of losing, he won. Suffice to say, when the leadership battle was consequently brought forward, the more savvy sceptics who recognised what he was doing duly stabbed in the back and dropped him the moment he'd served his purpose and became expendable

The whole thing is a farce of accident, driven by one mans ambition and chronic miscalculation
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Warbler For This Useful Post:

an capall (17th July 2018), moehat (7th July 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Will England winning the World Cup influence the vote?
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Spot on Warbler; however, it still wouldn't have happened had Johnsons bid for power not been fuelled by a rising fear of terrorism [which some people, mistakenly seemed to think could be prevented by 'taking back control' of our borders which we pretty much had control of anyway or could have had more control of anyway had we implemented controls that we could have done but didn't bother to do so] and years of vile austerity cuts which meant that those affected had nothing to lose by trying a different approach. Add to the mixture people who have always been racist but kept it under wraps until they were given permission to be so under the guise of 'patriotism'. If Boris had any understanding of ordinary people he would have realised he had a chance of 'winning'. Two years on and I still wake up every day in disbelief at what is happening to my country, the people of which are, in general, bloody wonderful. There was always going to be a referendum at some point; even the LibDems and Labour had called for one in the past, but it should never have been done in such a shambolic way, and people should have been better educated about the implications of leaving the EU [although they were until it was cleverly labelled 'project fear'].

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moehat For This Useful Post:

Beef or Salmon (7th July 2018), Drone (7th July 2018)

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Colin Phillips;705243]Will England winning the World Cup influence the vote?[/QUO
    ...you mean if the final is fought out between England and Belgium!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moehat View Post
    I still wake up every day in disbelief at what is happening to my country, the people of which are, in general, bloody wonderful
    Hear! hear! The generally pleasant, moderate, stoical nature of the British was epitomised in a discussion recently on TV (can't recall where or who, there's so much Brexit chit-chat around) concerning the rise of the Far-Right across Europe and how organised the movements are and how popular they're becoming. This was compared to the far-right in the UK, which is as disorganised and marginal as it's always been, despite the so-called rise of the EDL, which isn't much of a swelling at all

It was also pointed out that there's as little appetite for Far-Left doctrine here as well; a fact that seems as lost on the likes of Momentum now as it was the likes of Militant thirty years ago

This deep-rooted dislike of extremes is very much to the credit of the British and though the attempts at cultivating divisiveness sown by the 'ardent' aka 'inflexible', be that Brexiteers Remainers, IndyReffers, UKIP, Momentum...I still believe their ergotic harvest will fail; though that might require a short-lived wildfire

The overwhelming number of good, decent British who just want to get on with their lives in as painless way as possible are having their resolve tested as never - in my lifetime - before

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Drone For This Useful Post:

moehat (7th July 2018)

Thanks
    David davis resigns getting more interesting now.. now steve bakers resigned as well this is fantastic we could have JRM as pm for awhile
    going to be a cracking 12 months some great entertainmemt coming up....
    Last edited by gigilo; 9th July 2018 at 2:09 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Boris out.

Thanks
    I was hoping to see him quoted for the 2020 US Presidential race but not yet even in a market that includes Stormy Daniels.

Grade A chancer.
    Last edited by archie; 9th July 2018 at 6:30 PM.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Evil bastert.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    He's a slimey ******..

Thanks
    Well the next PM market is hotting up, especially as it looks like being a Tory party leadership run off.

I do have a sneaking memory that I buried some shekels on Michael Gove at 33/1 about 18 months ago. Also think I saved on Liam Fox at 100/1 too

I do believe however, if you're into throwing a bit of shrapnel at long shots, there is a plausible scenario that ends with Dominic Grieve whose likely to be 250/1 if you can get a price

Thanks
    7/4 to be an election in 2018,must be some right nutters around betting those sort of prices..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    Well the next PM market is hotting up, especially as it looks like being a Tory party leadership run off.

I do have a sneaking memory that I buried some shekels on Michael Gove at 33/1 about 18 months ago. Also think I saved on Liam Fox at 100/1 too

I do believe however, if you're into throwing a bit of shrapnel at long shots, there is a plausible scenario that ends with Dominic Grieve whose likely to be 250/1 if you can get a price
    That Dominc Grieve comes across as an Alan B'stard type infact looks quite like the chracter as well..

Thanks
    There's three factions in the conservative party.

Hard, Soft, & Remain

Impulsive idiots like Boris Johnson are setting up to try and create a leadership challenge. This potentially jeopardises the whole programme. The savvy strategists like Michael Gove have worked it out. Gove's priority is to leave the EU. It doesn't matter if it's a soft Brexit. Once they're out, the Tories can turn a soft Brexit into a hard Brexit at a later date

There is a scenario where hard Brexiteers cut their own throat in the anxiousness to get rid of Theresa May's soft Brexit. If say 30 of them submit letters of no confidence against her soft Brexit proposal, this potential open the door for the 20 publicly declared Remainians to also submit letters which will trigger a leadership election

Here's the rub

The compromise soft Brexit is neither one thing or another to either wing. It could easily be rejected by both sides. Even if this doesn't happen, it only requires a leadership election to take place with two discernably different Brexit policies being represented. Once the final two candidates are known, the country is going to go mad if they're espousing different positions. Basically the Tories are going to be accussed (credibly) of ring fencing a second referendum for the exclusive decision of their own membership. As soon as a leadership election is triggered Brexiteers have a real problem. My own guess is the country would go into revolt if they tried to do this, and the pressure (especially as opinion polls come in over the next 3 weeks or so) would mount for them to expand the mandate to the entire country and offer a 'people's referendum'. Boris has potentially badly miscalculated in his quest to wear the crown

It's widely known that the parliamentary party if they were offered a free unwhipped vote, and a secret ballot, would probably return a 'Remain' as their first choice. Most Tory MP's campaigned and voted for this option after all. What's preventing them from doing so now is respect for the result! - yeah right. No. What's preventing them is that their constituency chairmen, and local associations can see how they're voting in parliament. They can't however see how they'd vote in a leadership contest

If Remain can push the hardcore Brexiteers over the threshold of 48 signatures, and then field their own candidate, and if the parliamentary party returns that candidate into the run off, then there has to be every chance Brexit won't happen

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Warbler For This Useful Post:

Len Madeiros (18th July 2018), moehat (10th July 2018)