• Stay

23 58.97%
  • Leave

16 41.03%
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Brexit - Two Years After

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Dan, I wouldn’t want you to think all us “coffin-dodgers”, as our friend Clive likes to call us” voted to leave. I wouldn’t be that selfish.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Colin, as a fellow "coffin dodger", I must agree. But us sensible geriatrics were, unfortunately, vastly outnumbered by our fellow geriatrics!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Desperate Dan For This Useful Post:

Marb (26th June 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    It is, obviously, ridiculous to label all "leavers" as racists but I would bet virtually all our "loveable" racists did vote to leave. And that was probably enough, together with the geriatric vote, to make the difference. And that`s Democracy folks!
    Even my dad never voted leave and he's pretty conservative,my mum voted leave I said why the hell did you vote leave she said ''bloody foreigners'' the classic line she wouldn't have a clue why else she did it..crazy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    I voted not to join the club initially, on the simple premise that the cost of living in Europe was higher than ours. Not only were my fears of our prices matching theirs soon founded, we have now surpassed them, mostly due - it needs pointing out - to the doomsaying of the remainers.
    We voted out, and we should stay out. We might have it rough for a few years but there'll also be benefits - not least, we won't be paying farmers not to produce (the number of fallow fields around my house must be multiplied thousands of times over, throughout the community). What good does that do anyone?
    We had a good relationship with Europe (and most of the rest of the world) before we joined, and there's no real reason why that won't obtain again in future.

ps Grass, good luck with your future denocracy - you might need it, under Queen Nicola.
    This is garbage.

1. Cost of living increase has nothing to do with EU, and everything to do with UK Govt policy over the last 40 years.
    2. Remainers have no control over anything. It is the ineptitude of the UK govt - who have never yet proposed a workable plan - that is responsible for the prevailing economic winds. These examples are nothing more than simple transference - exactly as was predicted would happen, when things inevitably went to sh*it.
    3. Putting aside the pathetic narrowness of your argument, good luck getting someone to pick all the extra food your farmers will grow.
    4. We had a good relationship with Europe, because we saved them from the jackboot of fascism in two World Wars. Not only are we now divorcing ourselves from them, we are not even doing so with honour. Look no further than the shabby manner in which we are treating UK-resident EU citizens. If you think there will be goodwill on the back of this, I fear you are wrong. The EU will simply go about its business, and at best, ignore us fu*cking completely.
    5. If I’m going to go poor anyway, I’d rather do it as a citizen of an Independent Scotland, than be stuck with a ‘British’ label, and all the negative connotations of superiority, pettiness, hubris and ignorance, that implies. At least Sturgeon has integrity.

You can ram your pea-brained, insular, cretinous notions of sunlit uplands and a new Gloriana, right up your fu*cking jacksie.

Ben, disappointed in you. Respect is earned, and the Referendum result fails the ‘earned’ test on every measure. Fu*ck the result, and all the fu*cking hateful fu*cking idiocy that’s flowed from it.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 26th June 2018 at 10:04 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    This is the exact reason that I have come round to the concept of Brexit....let the fools suffer the consequences of their Ill informed scutter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    This is garbage.

1. Cost of living increase has nothing to do with EU, and everything to do with UK Govt policy over the last 40 years.
    Sure. and there's no such thing as the £billions we pour into the EU budget annually, no VAT; no subsidies for less efficient farmers, No bailouts for broken economies (eg Greece) and no price increases to shore up these imaginary expenses.
    As for the rest of your post, you can take your unmitigated bigotry - and work it!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Sure. and there's no such thing as the £billions we pour into the EU budget annually, no VAT; no subsidies for less efficient farmers, No bailouts for broken economies (eg Greece) and no price increases to shore up these imaginary expenses.
    As for the rest of your post, you can take your unmitigated bigotry - and work it!
    This is nonsense.

The cost in reduced inward investment and lost tax revenues post-Brexit will absolutely dwarf what we pay annually into the EU, never mind the divorce bill, the cost of replacing and running EU bureaucracies and tarmacing most of Kent.

If you think there is an economic argment which supporting Brexit, you haven’t been paying attention.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 27th June 2018 at 8:19 AM.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Apologies, reet (and other Leavers).

Brexit is something I feel very passionate about, because I see absolutely no upside (only a shi*tload of downside), but it’s no excuse for being rude, and I’ve no desire to fall out with anyone here about it.

SlimChance, March 2018

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (27th June 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    Given most migrant workers from Eastern Europe are white anyway, I fail to buy into the racism argument.
    Let's call it xenophobia then. There is little doubt that it had a significant effect on the Leave vote (or there shouldn't be in the minds of any rational human being).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd agree with that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef or Salmon View Post
    This is the exact reason that I have come round to the concept of Brexit....let the fools suffer the consequences of their Ill informed scutter
    In my darker moments - which seem to be increasing - I confess to thinking the same: give them what they want and then witness some real austerity

Looking on the slightly less dark side I'm of the opinion that we (the West) have reached peak capitalism, peak everything we supremely comfortable lot have hitherto taken for granted; and that being the case the only way is down. The hardship that Brexit will more than likely bring might after the meltdown, in say 10 years, result in a new, gentler and fairer order devoid of the unfettered free-market, neo-liberalism and rampant consumerism

Having enjoyed a wonderful life and now in my seventh decade I'm fortunate that I can wonder about the future and observe what's going on in a largely disinterested way: it wouldn't matter if I died tomorrow, I've had it all; but I fear for those with most of their life ahead of them and whenever I see a young family out and about doing what young families have always done my heart breaks for them

Interesting polling and replies thus far and from this so far smallish sample my theory that if a second referendum were held the result would be more or less what the first one was doesn't look far off the mark

Keep 'em coming, thanks

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drone For This Useful Post:

Desperate Dan (27th June 2018), gigilo (1st July 2018), Marb (30th June 2018)

Thanks
    I think what both amuses and annoys me in equal measure it that yes the UK are correct in that there is a lot of things:wrong with the EU and the direction it is going in but the answer is not suicide!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The UK is in posession of a sawn-off, and instead of deciding to stick it back in the boot of the Cortina, is contemplating whether to blow its bollocks off or its brains out.

SlimChance, March 2018

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

Beef or Salmon (27th June 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone View Post

Having enjoyed a wonderful life and now in my seventh decade
    It's been an absolute joy to conversate with you and feel your humility these past few years, Drone.
    Last edited by Marb; 30th June 2018 at 7:34 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Given most migrant workers from Eastern Europe are white anyway, I fail to buy into the racism argument.
    Hitler considered eastern europeans to being inferior only fit to be slaves and under the nationalist Government of South Africa All Eastern europeans were classified as Non-whites and had nearly the same restrictions placed on them as the black and coloured communities Racism can be shown against anyone who is not considered to be part of the main Community it doesn't need to be the colour of your skin a different language, culture, looks,religon is good enough for some people to feel superior (racists tend to think they are better than the people they despise)
    Pinnacle Chauffeur Transport
    www.yourchauffeur.co.uk

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    okey dokey, Prince Regent. I personally have nothing against Eastern Europeans or any other Europeans, I can only speak for myself.
    Last edited by Marb; 4th July 2018 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My point is that, not all leavers can be racist, because they had different reasons for wanting to leave, the same way feminists, or black people, don't necessarily all think the same thing, neither do leavers.

I personally don't think wanting to question freedom of movement is racist, but I'm sure there's plenty of people who'd stereotype people of that opinion as racist.

That's fine.
    Last edited by Marb; 3rd July 2018 at 7:44 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by prince regent View Post
    Hitler considered eastern europeans to being inferior only fit to be slaves
    Hitler was only repeating an old belief about Eastern Europeans, aka Slavs

Origin and Etymology of Slave
    Middle English sclave, from Anglo-French or Medieval Latin; Anglo-French esclave, from Medieval Latin sclavus, from Sclavus Slav; from the frequent enslavement of Slavs in central Europe during the early Middle Ages

Thanks
    I voted remain and my view hasn't changed since; in fact I feel more passionately about it now than I did back then. Spoke to some Americans last week who said that Trump had split families and communities, and I pointed out that the parallels with this country were frighteningly similar. If the referendum had been won honestly I would hold up my hands and say I got it wrong and lets move forward. But it wasn't and I can't. I have kept leave leaflets stating that Nissan etc supported them, that Turkey were joining the EU etc etc. Alas, I haven't made any of the pro EU marches as I always seem to be away, but I do campaign and, if you see an anti Brexit sticker on a Dyson or a lamppost it might well be one of mine. This is one of the worst things that has happened to this country in my lifetime; our government is the biggest load of idiots that I've ever seen governing a country and yet the opposition [a Labour party that no longer represents it's core voters such as myself] are still trailing behind them in the polls. I despair. Strangely enough, everyone that I know and like 'in the real world' has voted remain and yet two friends [now ex] who often made racist comments that I chose to ignore voted Brexit, which says it all really. Mike and I take a keen interest in politics and yet, when people state that everyone knew and understood things like single markets and customs unions prior to the referendum well, we didn't for starters. I guess there were some problems with the EU but many of us should have taken more of an interest in how they worked. I now see blue stickers everywhere [tucked away sometimes and hard to see]; usually in deprived areas that voted leave that seem to think that central government will help them out more [in your dreams people]. Anyway; rant over; going to carry on painting the garden fence. #bolloxtobrexit

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moehat For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (4th July 2018), Grasshopper (7th July 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moehat View Post
    Anyway; rant over; going to carry on painting the garden fence. #bolloxtobrexit
    That's the way Moe; you won't be sitting on it, that's obvious

In the same spirit I'll carry on cultivating my garden, taking solace in nature and most definitely spending as much time as possible sitting comfortably cocooned in it

Anyway, I suspect that looming environmental breakdown, the looming collapse of capitalism and the looming re-emergence of far-right authoritarianism/totalitarianism will render the interminable Brexit yay-or-nay debate as pointless and futile as rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic whilst simultaneously pissing into the wind

#bolloxtoeverything
    Last edited by Drone; 4th July 2018 at 12:13 PM.