• Leave

16 41.03%
Page 19 of 41 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Brexit - Two Years After

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Aye - by the EU.but that's hardly new,is it?
    By Parliament, actually, which is finally exercising its supremacy over the Executive. You could almost say it’s taking back control.

Insofar as Brexit is concerned, it’s a bit like Charles Hawtry getting in the ring with Muhammed Ali.

Charles could spend the rest of eternity pointlessly flailing-away, and still never put a mark on Ali; who would simply look bewildered, and wonder what the fu*ck was going on.

I’ll let you consider which is which, and who the aggressor is.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 10th January 2019 at 9:53 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ex Tory Foreign Office Minister admits there is a British Deep State. https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk...r-claims-‘deep
    Last edited by Marb; 15th January 2019 at 12:55 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Anybody know where I can buy a spread against May? I'm buying at +202
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    If Johnson argued that white was white and black was black I still wouldn't believe a word that came out of his mouth...

Thanks
    The whole thing stems from an injudicious comment David Cameron made to the BBC's James Landale that set off a chain reaction that resulted in Brexit. It's actually one of the best examples of Ray Bradbury's 'Butterfly Effect' I can think off, (although clearly not as good an example as Leopold Lojka taking a wrong turn in Sarajevo 1914)

I'm actually wondering if David Cameron is entitled to be considered the worst Prime Minister in history yet? He's got to be close. Everything the man did was a bloody disaster
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Thanks
    Do you mean when Cameron mentioned that he wouldn’t be standing for a third term, Warbler? That fired the starting gun to a leadership challenge, and set Johnson and Gove instinctively against Cameron on the referendum.

Thanks
    Yes absolutely that was the butterfly moment

Here's the thing. Leave would have lost were in not for Boris Johnson. The big question really is was Boris an out-an-out Brexiteer or an opportunist who realised there'd be a leadership battle in 2017/18?

Look at his Brexit credentials first. For such time as he was Mayor of London he's on the record as having made plenty of pro-European speeches and talking points. Let's not forget that it took him a week to make up his mind who to campaign for. Can you seriously imagine the likes of Gove, IDS, Fox et al having to sit down and think which side to support. Any Brexiteers I know has pretty well known which side of the argument they're on years ago.

The calculation as Boris saw it lies in the mechanism that the Tories use to elect their leader. If Remain had won the referendum then George Osborne was going to be the continuity Cameron candidate having presided over the so-called economic recovery and introduction of austerity. Osborne would win the parliamentary party nomination, but needn't be guaranteed to win the final vote amongst the party membership. Conversely Boris faced the opposite problem. He could conceivably win a poll amongst party members but needn't be guaranteed to come through the parliamentary filtering system where he doesn't enjoy anything like the same level of support.

Basically Boris was going to fall about 80 votes short in Westminster so needed to find a constituency within the party who could propel him into second place so that he could beat Theresa May and then take on George Osborne on much more favourable terms. Naturally he figures that is he gallantly campaigns for 'leave' and puts up a good showing in 2016 but narrowly loses, then in 2017/18 he can turn round and hopefully convert that into about 120 - 130 votes when the leadership election starts. Enough for second place

The problem of course is that Boris c0cks the whole thing up and wins. At this point he isn't too concerned however as Cameron resigns and he thinks his chance comes early. He hadn't however reckoned on Gove, who knew what he was about all along, and now that he'd served his purpose and was therefore expendable, Gove duly slipped the knife in

Boris Johnson is now left having to live a lie and adopt a new political position or otherwise face mass ridicule. It's a little bit like the 'Twelfth Night' in places

Now this was hinted at in the Brexit debate, principally by Nicola Sturgeon, but she never took the opportunity in any of the debates to explain it to the British people and expose Johnson for what he was doing by laying out the rules which Johnson was trying to worm his way through. Instead she just relied on a soundbite and trusted the people to put the pieces together

This all stems from Calamity Cameron. If he hadn't been so stupid as to say "on your marks, get ready" then Brexit wouldn't have happened. It was perhaps telling that as he slid his oily way out of Downing Street he was asked what his greatest achievement was after 7 years, and he nominated 'gay marriage'. I suppose it's really a question of what else could he say? The Big Society? (remember that?) Libya? Failing to hit his immigration targets? Failing to hit his environmental targets? Taking us into a double-dip recession? The only thing he didn't do that badly was a passable impression of Julia Gillard
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Banned
    Thanks
    Zigga zagga zigga zagga out out out.. 59 more filth.. Nicked in yorkshire... Wake up

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ozgood View Post
    Zigga zagga zigga zagga out out out.. 59 more filth.. Nicked in yorkshire... Wake up
    Which has zero to do with Brexit you thick ****.

Banned
    Thanks
    If you let me stay
    I'll say what I should've said
    If you let me stay
    I should have said that I love you
    It you let me stay
    And I should have said it from my heart
    If you let me stay

I'm with Terence on this. Stay.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Presumably from the little-known continent of Asia-Europe?

FFS, ozgood. Surely even you can see that this has fu*ck-all to do with the EU, and that Brexit will do precisely fu*ck-all to control the immigration you would really like to see stopped?

Jesus fu*cking Christ.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    Yes absolutely that was the butterfly moment

Here's the thing. Leave would have lost were in not for Boris Johnson. The big question really is was Boris an out-an-out Brexiteer or an opportunist who realised there'd be a leadership battle in 2017/18?

Look at his Brexit credentials first. For such time as he was Mayor of London he's on the record as having made plenty of pro-European speeches and talking points. Let's not forget that it took him a week to make up his mind who to campaign for. Can you seriously imagine the likes of Gove, IDS, Fox et al having to sit down and think which side to support. Any Brexiteers I know has pretty well known which side of the argument they're on years ago.

The calculation as Boris saw it lies in the mechanism that the Tories use to elect their leader. If Remain had won the referendum then George Osborne was going to be the continuity Cameron candidate having presided over the so-called economic recovery and introduction of austerity. Osborne would win the parliamentary party nomination, but needn't be guaranteed to win the final vote amongst the party membership. Conversely Boris faced the opposite problem. He could conceivably win a poll amongst party members but needn't be guaranteed to come through the parliamentary filtering system where he doesn't enjoy anything like the same level of support.

Basically Boris was going to fall about 80 votes short in Westminster so needed to find a constituency within the party who could propel him into second place so that he could beat Theresa May and then take on George Osborne on much more favourable terms. Naturally he figures that is he gallantly campaigns for 'leave' and puts up a good showing in 2016 but narrowly loses, then in 2017/18 he can turn round and hopefully convert that into about 120 - 130 votes when the leadership election starts. Enough for second place

The problem of course is that Boris c0cks the whole thing up and wins. At this point he isn't too concerned however as Cameron resigns and he thinks his chance comes early. He hadn't however reckoned on Gove, who knew what he was about all along, and now that he'd served his purpose and was therefore expendable, Gove duly slipped the knife in

Boris Johnson is now left having to live a lie and adopt a new political position or otherwise face mass ridicule. It's a little bit like the 'Twelfth Night' in places

Now this was hinted at in the Brexit debate, principally by Nicola Sturgeon, but she never took the opportunity in any of the debates to explain it to the British people and expose Johnson for what he was doing by laying out the rules which Johnson was trying to worm his way through. Instead she just relied on a soundbite and trusted the people to put the pieces together

This all stems from Calamity Cameron. If he hadn't been so stupid as to say "on your marks, get ready" then Brexit wouldn't have happened. It was perhaps telling that as he slid his oily way out of Downing Street he was asked what his greatest achievement was after 7 years, and he nominated 'gay marriage'. I suppose it's really a question of what else could he say? The Big Society? (remember that?) Libya? Failing to hit his immigration targets? Failing to hit his environmental targets? Taking us into a double-dip recession? The only thing he didn't do that badly was a passable impression of Julia Gillard
    I like your analysis, Warbler. The only bit where I would disagree is with Gove. He’s as bad as Johnson, and made his leave or stay decision very late in the day - knifing his mate Cameron in the process - and is a total unprincipled *******. He clearly disliked Johnson more than his mate Cameron.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simmo View Post
    Which has zero to do with Brexit you thick ****.

thick ..but concerned .. as you dont give a f*** about FILTH

Thanks
    thick ..but concerned .. as you dont give a f*** about FILTH
    You have no idea what I'm concerned about or otherwise. The situation you highlight needs something done about it.

But it still has f*** all to do with Brexit.

Thanks
    That was closer than I thought it would be!
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Are you actually trying to be a thick kunt or does it just come natural to you??

Thanks
    "Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: " - David Cameron

Banned
    Thanks
    yep .. now f*** off bumpkin

Thanks
    What a complete pack of lies