39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay

23 58.97%
  • Leave

16 41.03%
Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Brexit - Two Years After

Thanks
    So the only thing we are going to be leaving is the UK as it stands at the moment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,179 Posts
    Damn was looking forward to the meltdown tonight,popcorn and pringles were ready will have to keep them on hold for tomorrow going to be total carnage...

Thanks
    Two resigned already this morning,the meltdowns begun..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gigilo View Post
    Two resigned already this morning,the meltdowns begun..
    Up to three now - god id hate to be a politician it’s a horrible job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Thanks
    Time to get the popcorn out again!!

Thanks
    I'm really not seeing where she goes from here?

She clearly can't get the deal through parliament. Her attempt to be all things to all people has failed

So far as I can work out she's looking at a hard Brexit or withdrawing Article 50 (although she might not have realised it yet)
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Thanks
    She diid say that 'no brexit' was an option, did she not? And even McDonnell [sp] is talking about a people's vote. Chris Leslie was brilliant as usual in Parliament today. And Rees Mogg shows his true character. If only Shakespeare was alive today, what a play [or should I say tragedy] this would make. Steve [from Sodem] should have a statue after all this!

Thanks
    Oh it's definitely Shakespearean. It's a tragedy and farce in one, a tale of one mans ambition and how it went wrong and is now forcing him to live a life of pretence for the punishment that would become of revelation is greater than that were he to continue to strut and fret is hour upon the stage

You also have Cameron of course as an early departure. A sort of cross between King Lear and King Duncan

Basically this all unravelled when David Cameron told the BBC's James Landale that he wouldn't seek a third term. It's a classic example of the 'Butterfly Effect'.

All that Theresa May has done in between is demonstrate that she'd make an infinitely better senior civil servant than she is a politician
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

Thanks
    She's played a blinder looking at the gutless brexiteers,where are they doing nothing, so muxch for their convictions at this rate its another referendum or remain...
    Last edited by gigilo; 17th November 2018 at 4:44 PM.

Thanks
    You guys are aware 17.4m voted to leave and they’ll be even more on a 2nd referendum. Why does everyone think a 2nd referendum changes anything? This whole process has shown the EU and UK politicians for what they are, a bunch of self serving, anti democratic chancers and it will just reinforce what people voted for the first time around.
    Even my parents who are ardent remainers are so disgusted by this deal and the sovereignty give away that they would vote leave and are advocating no deal now.

Thanks
    We're leaving so just row in with what's being negotiated. 17.4m voted to leave & 16.15m voted to remain so no-one's going to get everything they wished for. And my parents would be disgusted by all the veiled threats taking place.
    Last edited by 2017diary; 17th November 2018 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks
    63m people voted for Trump, so not sure what your point is re numbers, both Trump and Brexit proved that Democracy is inherently flawed.

Please tell us uninformed souls what exactly the EU have supposedly done wrong in their negotiations with a MS who proudly decreed that they would not only leave the EU but would bring an end to the EU?

Thanks
    These peoples vote pamphlets coming through the post how long has this been happening,was really surprised yesterday when two came thriugh the post Anna soubrey someone representing scientists for EU and someone representing the NHS campaigning here seems a huge campaign,are all areas getting these leaflets?Found it quite interesting as i think its a big brexit vote here our very estranged conservative MP Dan Kawczynski a most rancid individual supports JRM for pm,one of his less controversial views.
    He is in favour of Fox hunting,he left his wife and daughter and declared himself to be bi sexual but now has a male partner,at the same time wants the abortion time lowered to 12 weeks,he voted against the house of lords on blasphemy he still wanted it to be libel.. he also overclaimed 4000 rent on expenses,he berated a one legged wheelchair user for begging outside parliament..also tried to make a young researcher go ona date with an old businessman for whixh he got pulled up on by Eleanor laing..He also wrote a book telling of how wonderful saudi arabia was and the book he had wrote was ''the most pro saudi ever written''(being a bisexual man seemed to make no difference i wonder if money was involved)!
    A right piece of shite this bloke is going on about blasphemy laws yet endorsing the saudis,yet happily they still vote him in currently been serving since 2005,i just read this on wiki i never even realized the bloke was such a wrong un!!
    Last edited by gigilo; 18th November 2018 at 3:11 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Blog Entries
    More cases of BAD being reported, (Brexit Affective Disorder). This is just what the NHS doesn't need this Christmas...
    Last edited by Marb; 18th November 2018 at 3:41 AM.

Thanks
    Brexiteers have been most disappointing,got loads pf popcorn here waiting for the carnage...

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gigilo View Post
    She's played a blinder looking at the gutless brexiteers,where are they doing nothing, so muxch for their convictions at this rate its another referendum or remain...
    You seem very confident ... how large is your wager before the result .. and how big is your popcorn

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SP Only View Post
    You guys are aware 17.4m voted to leave and they’ll be even more on a 2nd referendum. Why does everyone think a 2nd referendum changes anything? This whole process has shown the EU and UK politicians for what they are, a bunch of self serving, anti democratic chancers and it will just reinforce what people voted for the first time around.
    Even my parents who are ardent remainers are so disgusted by this deal and the sovereignty give away that they would vote leave and are advocating no deal now.
    I absolutely don’t get this. Why would anyone who voted Remain now vote Leave because of the sovereignty issue? The other deal on the table is a no deal, crash out on our arses. Do your parents want that? That’s a monumental shift from previously voting Remain.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 871 Posts
    To all Remoaners, who would have us painted into a corner.
    Read, digest, - and weep for your country:

Former Australian PM Tony Abbott...

"It’s pretty hard for Britain’s friends, here in Australia, to make sense of the mess that’s being made of Brexit. The referendum result was perhaps the biggest-ever vote of confidence in the United Kingdom, its past and its future. But the British establishment doesn’t seem to share that confidence and instead looks desperate to cut a deal, even if that means staying under the rule of Brussels. Looking at this from abroad, it’s baffling: the country that did the most to bring democracy into the modern world might yet throw away the chance to take charge of its own destiny.

Let’s get one thing straight: a negotiation that you’re not prepared to walk away from is not a negotiation — it’s surrender. It’s all give and no get. When David Cameron tried to renegotiate Britain’s EU membership, he was sent packing because Brussels judged (rightly) that he’d never actually back leaving. And since then, Brussels has made no real concessions to Theresa May because it judges (rightly, it seems) that she’s desperate for whatever deal she can get.

The EU’s palpable desire to punish Britain for leaving vindicates the Brexit project. Its position, now, is that there’s only one ‘deal’ on offer, whereby the UK retains all of the burdens of EU membership but with no say in setting the rules. The EU seems to think that Britain will go along with this because it’s terrified of no deal. Or, to put it another way, terrified of the prospect of its own independence.

But even after two years of fearmongering and vacillation, it’s not too late for robust leadership to deliver the Brexit that people voted for. It’s time for Britain to announce what it will do if the EU can’t make an acceptable offer by March 29 next year — and how it would handle no deal. Freed from EU rules, Britain would automatically revert to world trade, using rules agreed by the World Trade Organization. It works pretty well for Australia. So why on earth would it not work just as well for the world’s fifth-largest economy?

A world trade Brexit lets Britain set its own rules. It can say, right now, that it will not impose any tariff or quota on European produce and would recognise all EU product standards. That means no border controls for goods coming from Europe to Britain. You don’t need to negotiate this: just do it. If Europe knows what’s in its own best interests, it would fully reciprocate in order to maintain entirely free trade and full mutual recognition of standards right across Europe.

Next, the UK should declare that Europeans already living here should have the right to remain permanently — and, of course, become British citizens if they wish. This should be a unilateral offer. Again, you don’t need a deal. You don’t need Michel Barnier’s permission. If Europe knows what’s best for itself, it would likewise allow Britons to stay where they are.

Third, there should continue to be free movement of people from Europe into Britain — but with a few conditions. Only for work, not welfare. And with a foreign worker’s tax on the employer, to make sure anyone coming in would not be displacing British workers.

Fourth, no ‘divorce bill’ whatsoever should be paid to Brussels. The UK government would assume the EU’s property and liabilities in Britain, and the EU would assume Britain’s share of these in Europe. If Britain was getting its fair share, these would balance out; and if Britain wasn’t getting its fair share, it’s the EU that should be paying Britain.

Finally, there’s no need on Britain’s part for a hard border with Ireland. Britain wouldn’t be imposing tariffs on European goods, so there’s no money to collect. The UK has exactly the same product standards as the Republic, so let’s not pretend you need to check for problems we all know don’t exist. Some changes may be needed but technology allows for smart borders: there was never any need for a Cold War-style Checkpoint Charlie. Irish citizens, of course, have the right to live and work in the UK in an agreement that long predates EU membership.

Of course, the EU might not like this British leap for independence. It might hit out with tariffs and impose burdens on Britain as it does on the US — but WTO rules put a cap on any retaliatory action. The worst it can get? We’re talking levies of an average 4 or 5 per cent. Which would be more than offset by a post-Brexit devaluation of the pound (which would have the added bonus of making British goods more competitive everywhere).

UK officialdom assumes that a deal is vital, which is why so little thought has been put into how Britain might just walk away. Instead, officials have concocted lurid scenarios featuring runs on the pound, gridlock at ports, grounded aircraft, hoarding of medicines and flights of investment. It’s been the pre-referendum Project Fear campaign on steroids. And let’s not forget how employment, investment and economic growth ticked up after the referendum.

As a former prime minister of Australia and a lifelong friend of your country, I would say this: Britain has nothing to lose except the shackles that the EU imposes on it. After the courage shown by its citizens in the referendum, it would be a tragedy if political leaders go wobbly now. Britain’s future has always been global, rather than just with Europe. Like so many of Britain’s admirers, I want to see this great country seize this chance and make the most of it."

Tony Abbott served as Prime Minister of Australia from 2013 to 2015
    Last edited by reet hard; 18th November 2018 at 10:41 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    never thought i would like an Aussie.... top man ...our feeble Gov ...should grow some bollocks and do what this geezer says...CHARGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Thanks
    The older I get the better I was.