• Stay

23 58.97%
  • Leave

16 41.03%
Page 1 of 41 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Brexit - Two Years After

Thanks

Poll: Brexit - Two Years After

In the previous poll 27 voted Stay and 20 Leave. It would be interesting to know how folk would vote now if a second referendum was to be held next Thursday

Has your opinion changed two years on?

Me? I'll just quote Omar Khayyam:

I've heard great argument
    About it and about: but evermore
    Came out by the same door where in I went

Still a sceptical Remainer, then

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Still a 100% enthusiastic Remainer. A perfect European Unon is unacheivable, but I believe wholeheartedly in the imperfect one that we have (for the moment).
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 24th June 2018 at 7:17 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

Beef or Salmon (26th June 2018)

Thanks

Poll: Brexit - Two Years After

Can’t see a poll to vote, but I am a double remainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by trudij; 24th June 2018 at 8:46 PM.
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Thanks
    Remain 100%.

Brexit was, is and will prove to be, the stupidest idea of all time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chroniclandlord For This Useful Post:

Beef or Salmon (26th June 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,180 Posts
    Remain for me,a massive surge to the right in many areas of politics is making everything seem so uncertain can see the torys launching us back to the 80s where lots of worjkers got exploited and the unemployed, workers rights doing what they want,cannot be allowed to happen..

Banned
    Thanks
    Leave .. and shut all the borders

Thanks
    I’d vote leave. I voted remain two years ago but I think we should respect the initial vote and would cast my ballot accordingly.

The difference it will make is vastly overstated on both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyB View Post
    The difference it will make is vastly overstated on both sides.
    I agree with this but I'd vote Stay (again), just so that I didn't have to be associated with the thick racists that make up a large portion of Leave voters.
    Last edited by simmo; 25th June 2018 at 8:14 PM.

Thanks
    I voted to leave originally and can’t see anything that makes me want to change my mind

another way to look at it is ask yourself this - if people knew in 1973 what they know now about the EU would they still have voted to join then?

The remainers seem to forget we live in a democratic society - the majority decide to leave and that’s whats happening. I doubt that if the vote had gone the other way there would be this many demonstrations!

Thanks
    So what exactly were you voting for, Ballydoyle? Soft? The Full Monty? Irish border posts? The original referendum in the Seventies (where I voted 'In') was equally binding as the last one. I heard Farage say on referendum day that he thought they would lose but would be back again in a couple of years so, if he didn't see it as binding why should those on the Remain side?

The original question was so limited that repeating it is completely pointless. On the other hand, once the terms are agreed they should, at the very least, be presented to parliament and, if not approved by them come back to the people.
    Last edited by archie; 25th June 2018 at 6:05 PM.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Seems a sensible approach, Archie.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    I wonder if Johnson would turn up for the parliamentary vote.

Surely self-evident that, if he, Gove and Fox think it's a good idea then it's a complete minger.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballydoyle View Post
    I voted to leave originally and can’t see anything that makes me want to change my mind

another way to look at it is ask yourself this - if people knew in 1973 what they know now about the EU would they still have voted to join then?

The remainers seem to forget we live in a democratic society - the majority decide to leave and that’s whats happening. I doubt that if the vote had gone the other way there would be this many demonstrations!
    Think this is complete and utter bollocks myself. For a huge decision like this, a super-majority should have applied, and the only reason it didn’t was because the referendum was deemed advisory. That advisory referendum has since been prostituted, and been sold as binding, so I excuse me if I choose not to listen to any BS about ‘democracy’.

Thatnotwithstanding, if the public vote for something which is patently not in the National Interest - and on every measure, Brexit is not in the National Interest - it is the job of Parliament to play their part, and halt it. Unfortunately, our Parliament if full of saps, cowards and charlatans, who would rather meekly accept the vote for matters of self-interest, than do their jobs.

If this is British democracy in action, you’re fu*cking welcome to it.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 25th June 2018 at 9:05 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    F u c k Brexit

Thanks
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballydoyle View Post

I voted not to join the club initially, on the simple premise that the cost of living in Europe was higher than ours. Not only were my fears of our prices matching theirs soon founded, we have now surpassed them, mostly due - it needs pointing out - to the doomsaying of the remainers.
    We voted out, and we should stay out. We might have it rough for a few years but there'll also be benefits - not least, we won't be paying farmers not to produce (the number of fallow fields around my house must be multiplied thousands of times over, throughout the community). What good does that do anyone?
    We had a good relationship with Europe (and most of the rest of the world) before we joined, and there's no real reason why that won't obtain again in future.

ps Grass, good luck with your future denocracy - you might need it, under Queen Nicola.

Thanks
    A few months ago, I spoke to a senior executive in one of Ireland's leading food companies. This company has processing plants on both sides of the border. Its' lorries cross the border 23,500 times a year. A 15 minute delay each time would be equivalent to 5875 hours of downtime annually for those lorries.

This is just one example of how this poxy policy is going to decimate the economy.

A policy back-boned by racism and augmented by a nostalgic hankering for an empire that is long gone.

Ultimately though it wont be Paul Dacre, Boris Johnson or Jacob Rees Mogg that will suffer. Their millions will be well insulated from the collapse. Indeed Rees Mogg's investment fund management company recently set up an investment vehicle in Dublin to operate post Brexit.

Thanks
    Don't worry in 10 years time there ''maybe'' some benefits or maybe not most of the old cunts that voted for it will be long gone..

How come that hasn't been censored out
    Last edited by gigilo; 26th June 2018 at 1:27 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chroniclandlord View Post
    A policy back-boned by racism and augmented by a nostalgic hankering for an empire that is long gone.
    I was/am a Remainer because I believe (like many others) it will damage our economy.
    There'll be less money for the public services, the NHS, less growth and less jobs.

The only antithesis to this, would be a Jeremy Corbyn led government, but that's still an odds-against chance at the moment.

However, I have to say, freedom of movement was (and is) a legitimate debating point. I think comments like yours and alike from other commentators actually denigrate what real racism actually is. Given most migrant workers from Eastern Europe are white anyway, I fail to buy into the racism argument.

One of my first proper relationships in my late teens was with a young lady from Latvia. I liked (loved?) her and her family. We're still in contact as friends years later.

However, given we've had a referendum vote, as a voter, I weighed up the pro's and con's of freedom of movement, but still voted remain in any event.

My calculations were made, not just by who I've had relationships with, or how well I get on with my imaginary cleaner, but also the annual increase in net migration the past 15 years. It's not all bad of course, but it does often mean less wages for British born workers, does it not?

I take my vote seriously.

To ignore the pro's and con's of freedom of movement, for fear of being labelled racist, is too ridiculous an idea I'd ever entertain, personally.
    Last edited by Marb; 26th June 2018 at 5:57 PM.

Thanks
    It is, obviously, ridiculous to label all "leavers" as racists but I would bet virtually all our "loveable" racists did vote to leave. And that was probably enough, together with the geriatric vote, to make the difference. And that`s Democracy folks!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Desperate Dan For This Useful Post:

Marb (26th June 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's no such thing as a loveable racist! People who habitually discriminate against people from different racial backgrounds are just stupid ignorant arseholes who are jail bate in this day and age I'm sure we both agree!
    Last edited by Marb; 26th June 2018 at 5:49 PM.