39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay

23 58.97%
  • Leave

16 41.03%
Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Brexit - Two Years After

SlimChance
    She easily survived though. What's her next move?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully her bottle goes, and she capitulates for a Peoples Vote.

She can fu*ck herself off a bridge as soon as that’s arranged, as far as I’m concerned.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

SlimChance
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post

She can fu*ck herself off a bridge as soon as that’s arranged, as far as I’m concerned.
    Isn't a second vote very dangerous? They'll be rioting on the streets.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    In me hole there’d be rioting.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Odds on now I would have thought. I said over a year ago when no one gave it a chance that I thought it was a 30% likely outcome

Ironically the Brexiteers might have emboldened her now given that she can move with a lot more freedom and actually show some leadership instead of a being follower of instruction. The Brexiteers have handed her a 12 month period of grace with the threat of challenge removed. She's in a stronger position to call one, than she was at the start of the day. There's also the retreat of UKIP to factor into her thinking. When Nigel Farage has left the party because it's too extreme, there's no longer any prospect of it offering a haven for malcontent conservatives MP's, something that couldn't necessarily be said for Cameron

Theresa May is actually a civil servant though rather than a politician. She'd probably make someone a good Permanent Secretary. She's in the wrong job. She should have moved into Whitehall not Westminster, but with her own political future now set she has no reason to think long term and career anymore. She's going to be Baroness May of Maidenhead by 2021. She might just surprise us and move decisively and do something dynamic that a more inspirational and instinctive politician would.

When her own half-baked proposal is defeated on the substantive vote (which surely it has to be), we now know that at least 117 Tories will vote against it, then she's got nowhere to go other than throwing it back to the people. It's good politics anyway. She needs the people to own the decision and accept the consequences for it, because right now if it all goes tits up, they won't. Voters will rarely admit they're stupid and got something wrong. They are prepared to admit they were lied to though and blame the person that did it. In this case it would Boris Johnson and by extension, the Tories

The potential spanner in the works however would be if Labour finally did what they should have done 12 months ago and positioned themselves on a second vote platform. If they did that and committed to it, and then called a vote of no confidence, how would the 20-25 Tory rebels vote? Would they vote even?. Jeremy Corbyn could probably finish as of tonight if he changes policy. She couldn't risk being defeated and brought down by the likes of Ken Clarke, Anna Soubry, Sarah Woolaston et al. She'd be better off taking the moment into her own hands and pulling the trigger
    Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly. _ Harry Limes

SlimChance
    Another vote brfore 31/03/2019 is 42% (2.32) on Predictit.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SlimChance For This Useful Post:

Len Madeiros (13th December 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimChance View Post
    Isn't a second vote very dangerous? They'll be rioting on the streets.
    Oh there wouldn’t, we’re British - there would be a que to tut in a disappointed fashion....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to trudij For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    she will not lead the Tories into the next election

Seems to be the phrase doing the rounds on Grub Street today which, if not a lazy misquote with in 2022 omitted, begs the question:

if Corbyn and whoever decide to call for a no-confidence vote in the near future and if they're successful who will lead the Conservatives into the ensuing election?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 874 Posts

Thanks
    I'm amazed that nobody has commented on Corbyn's ineptitude over the last week. At this rate Teresa May is going to be handed a freebie, with his shockingly bad tactical decisions and parliament performances coming off the back of Rees-Moggs ill advised failed no confidence attempt. Labour MP's will now be waking up to the fact that their messiah is nothing more than a snake oil salesman.

Thanks
    I've given up on commenting about Corbyn's ineptitude; I've reached a stage where things I think about Brexit just need numbering so I don't have to constantly repeat the whole sentence/paragraph/lecture. I think Corbyn's ineptitude would just be '1'.

Thanks
    This article from the Graun provides a rather good summary of Corbyn and his ilk

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...re-of-disaster

'I said stupid people'
    'I voted Remain'

hmm...
    Last edited by Drone; 23rd December 2018 at 6:48 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,180 Posts
    He should support a peoples vote it's the only way would show he's got any balls ,otherwise he may as well resign now hand over to starmer..
    Last edited by gigilo; 23rd December 2018 at 8:13 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone View Post
    This article from the Graun provides a rather good summary of Corbyn and his ilk

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...re-of-disaster

'I said stupid people'
    'I voted Remain'

hmm...
    You could write a similar article on the "leavers" in the Conservative side. We are "blessed" with ,IMHO, the poorest and most incompetent load of politicians, on all sides, in my long lifetime.

FWIW, I am no believer in Referendums (that`s partly how we got into this mess) and I think another one would just make matters worse. For better or worse we are where we are and, as usual it will be the poorer and vulnerable members of society who will suffer the most. Twas ever thus.We are well and truly ******….but, never mind despite more and more homeless on our streets, we will have our sovereignty back. Sovreignty my ars*.
    Last edited by Desperate Dan; 23rd December 2018 at 8:28 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    You could write a similar article on the "leavers" in the Conservative side. We are "blessed" with ,IMHO, the poorest and most incompetent load of politicians, on all sides, in my long lifetime.
    Indeed, the political spectrum isn't a linear Right-to-Left but a circle with Far-Right meeting Far-Left after a 360-degree revolution

The UK public are not and never have been predisposed to extreme doctrines: the far-right know it but there'll always be a small irrelevant minority of them mouthing off; the far-left don't realise it, they really should as their vitriol is equally - if differently - vile

Yep, the only thing worse than the current Conservative front bench is the Labour front bench. Pity poor unhappy uneasy Keir Starmer, a giant (relatively speaking) surrounded by dwarves who threw him the hospital pass

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Drone For This Useful Post:

2017diary (9th January 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,180 Posts
    The reality is though that Corbyn and Mc Donnnells shelf life is limited anyway,both 70 there must be a fair chance corbyn could be gone by the next election anyway..then you look across to the torys and see a dozen leadership candidates all absolutel;y abysmal,every cloud.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    UK Gov currently getting pumped in the hole. It is a joy to see.

SlimChance, March 2018

Banned
    Thanks
    How crude

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 874 Posts
    UK Gov currently getting pumped in the hole. It is a joy to see.
    Aye - by the EU.but that's hardly new,is it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Aye - by the EU.but that's hardly new,is it?
    Breaking news: no Schengen; no euro; guaranteed rebate. Yes, the EU totally pump our ars.