39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay

23 58.97%
  • Leave

16 41.03%
Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Brexit - Two Years After

Thanks
    Yes, I can see some parallels with the Black Plague.

The poverty in the UK is nothing to do with the EU - that's about UK sovereign govt policy. The EU trade policy just means that we trade more efficiently.

Thanks
    have you given any thought to the robot revolution on its way, that alone is a good enough reason for brexit, the so called fourth industrial revolution.

Thanks
    Now I'm confused. Why does the robot revolution mean we should Brexit? I first heard about the fourth industrial revolution at school in the 80s.

Thanks
    7 million jobs could be lost over the next 20 years as technology change sweeps through the workplaces, thats a good enough reason
    to leave the european union and control our borders and stop the free movement of people coming to great britain.

Thanks
    Ok, are you now forecasting mass unemployment, even if we stop immigration from the EU? That would be one tough pill to swallow - and no govt would survive on that premise. The robots in the fields picking crops, in the care homes wiping bums, will be replaced by ancillary occupations - we will need a an upskilled workforce to survive. Back to square one.

Thanks
    The robot revolution has been imminent for the last 40 years and still hasn't caused the mass unemployment predicted by some.

Thanks
    There is no reason why we cannot bring in migrant workers to pick fruit or to wipe old folks' bums post-Brexit.

It will be OUR decision based on what we need.

In the pre-EU 1960's and 1970's it was easy to go on fruit-picking "adventures" on the Continent and equally easy for Continentals to come here. It was easy for students to go on trips staying with European families to pick up the lingo, and similar trips to the UK were reciprocated. So many Remainers seem to believe we are going to draw an Iron Curtain across the English Channel. It's nonsense.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Madeiros View Post
    Now I'm confused. Why does the robot revolution mean we should Brexit? I first heard about the fourth industrial revolution at school in the 80s.
    Try keep up Len. Asimov predicted decades ago that robots would carry the black death when they invaded.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperate Dan View Post
    And what exactly are we gaining for our £39 billion exit bill? SFA, I would suggest.
    93K a year is allocated to Nigel Farage's MEP pension. Actuarial calculations suggest that this will consume about £2,100,050 of it.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by archielab View Post
    There is no reason why we cannot bring in migrant workers to pick fruit or to wipe old folks' bums post-Brexit.

It will be OUR decision based on what we need.

In the pre-EU 1960's and 1970's it was easy to go on fruit-picking "adventures" on the Continent and equally easy for Continentals to come here. It was easy for students to go on trips staying with European families to pick up the lingo, and similar trips to the UK were reciprocated. So many Remainers seem to believe we are going to draw an Iron Curtain across the English Channel. It's nonsense.
    I wouldn't let your fellow brexiteers hear you say that. They'd probably lynch you.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Madeiros View Post
    This is an interesting one, DO - particularly as you think your brothers are more intelligent than you. Could I just ask that when they argued the economics of Brexit, did you ever get fed the "we're better off making our own deals - we don't have to pay tariffs" line - which has been shot out of the water now, as we now actually know that most of the goods we import from outside the EU arrives tariff-free, as a result of all those cracking trade deals the EU negotiated on our behalf. Did you ever get the "well, the EU are still bound to trade with us on our terms: we have a massive deficit with them". Again, that argument has been smashed out the park, as the EU protects the interests of the Single Market. This is exactly the shite us fervent Remoaners had to counter back in 2016, but the population did not know enough to make an informed decision back then. I'd be very surprised to hear anyone still argue that - unless, of course, they think it'll all be alright because Great Britain is so fvckin great that we can do what we like, to whomsoever we like. Then the argument just boils down to old-fashioned "English entitlement".
    To be honest, I can't remember the discussions that well. I think I was half in shock at discovering that they had actually voted for Brexit. But, as I say, I tend to feel intellectually cowed in their presence - they are vastly more widely and deeply read than I am - and accept that they wouldn't vote to leave without having given the matter very serious consideration. Another brother who is heavily into his political reading voted Remain so it's hard to know what weight they gave to each aspect of the debate.

I'm so sick of the whole fiasco I can't be arsed engaging in further debate with them about it.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 8th November 2018 at 11:56 PM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Len Madeiros (9th November 2018)

Thanks
    The problem is that when we inevitably make working here more difficult ie, introducing visas, we will find that migrant labour will exercise its own decision and not come here.

Our decision to Brexit and stick two fingers to the rest of Europe IS an insult and will be viewed as such. It will be our greatest foreign policy failure since the war.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looking forward to all four wheels jumping off the Brexit wagon soon, and ozgood pissing his baked-bean-stained joggers with rage, when it eventually comes to pass.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Edit
    Last edited by Marb; 14th November 2018 at 8:38 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Nice to see you missed me Boys

Thanks
    Looks like the game is up. This is, literally, the best deal on offer from the EU: we stay in a customs union, where we accept their rules and tariffs, in order to secure our own tariff-free and frictionless trade. As us Remoaners had predicted all along. The alternative? Mogg's cliff-edge no deal. No responsible govt would ever have risked that, so this is what May has had to settle for. They didn't "need us more than we needed them" in the end, did they?

This deal will now tear Parliament apart, before a second referendum (that inevitably will occur because Parliament cannot determine the issue) tears the country apart again. My only hope is that voters will realise the enormity of what they unleashed in 2016, and many will vote Remain. Maybe even the poisonous press will change their tune. I can easily see at least one high-profile Leaver changing their minds, too - Gove would be my bet. This is why referenda and democracy do not always provide perfect solutions or even preferable outcomes - a hard lesson learned.
    Last edited by Len Madeiros; 14th November 2018 at 1:20 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Len Madeiros For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (14th November 2018), Grasshopper (14th November 2018)

Thanks
    Instead of having the parliamentary vote as May's deal or no deal, it would be interesting if she framed it as May's deal or remain.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    She doesn't have enough authority to frame any deal in any way that has her name attached to it, Archie.

Thanks
    Please can someone explain things to me in words of one syllable? I’m SO confused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trudij View Post
    Please can someone explain things to me in words of one syllable? I’m SO confused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brexit not really going ahead and Norn Iron leaving the UK