Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Royal Ascot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 871 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Racehorsematch View Post
    The bias towards good ground at these meetings is a huge disadvantage when you have a horse that performs on good/firm going.

When the muppets decided to dig up the original turf on the straight and replace it, the going has never been equal across the course.

Unfortunately you need to watch the first race at most meetings to have any idea of the going. Recently I walked a course described on the BHA website as good to firm and it was good to soft at best.
    Going stick readings (Sunday, 8.00 am):

GOOD TO FIRM (Good in places; GoingStick: Stands' 7.7, Centre 7.7, Far 7.7, Round 7.0) (Watering) (Partly cloudy)

With the readings only slightly above dead centre of the scale, and identical right across the straight course the '' muppets" don't seem to be doing too badly at the moment.
    Last edited by reet hard; 18th June 2018 at 6:35 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to reet hard For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (18th June 2018)

Thanks
    Think Equilateral is the next Battaash

Best bet of the meeting for me in the Commonwealth Cup, currently 9-2 [NRNB & BOG] with Bet 365
    "The wise man is one who knows what he does not know"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,474 Times in 2,734 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post

GOOD TO FIRM (Good in places; GoingStick: Stands' 7.7, Centre 7.7, Far 7.7, Round 7.0) (Watering) (Partly cloudy)
    I would be happy with that - no excuses for anything.

Of course, it was further watered and it rained a little after those readings were taken but I'll take rain over watering any day. Going stick readings are a help but they aren't always accurate but in the absence of more accurate measuring technology they'll have to do.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post

With the readings only slightly above dead centre of the scale, and identical right across the straight course the '' muppets" don't seem to be doing too badly at the moment.
    Years of walking courses to find the going reports are less than accurate and some a complete joke means I don't believe what is published. It depends on who is using the going stick as to what readings are given. Check the difference between Sunday and Monday

This mornings official BHA going report:
    Good to Firm, Good in places.
    (GoingStick: Standside: 8.3, Centre: 8.3, Farside: 8.2. Round:7.4 on Monday at 08:15)
    Last edited by Racehorsematch; 18th June 2018 at 8:54 AM.

Thanks
    here is the official going report published on the BHA site. Completely different to reet hard's post.

Going/Track:

Good to Firm, Good in places.
    (GoingStick: Standside: 8.3, Centre: 8.3, Farside: 8.2. Round:
    7.4 on Monday at 08:15)

Stalls:

Straight Course: Centre
    Round Course: Inside

Rail Movements:

The running rail on the round course is positioned 3yds out
    from approx 9f out to the Home Straight. This rail will
    remain in place until Thursday. Consequant changes in race
    distances for Tuesday and Wednesday are:
    Old Mile Start - an increase of 5yds.
    1m 2f, 1m 6f and 2m 4f Starts- an increase of 11yds.

(NOTE should be "consequent")

Weather:

Light shower overnight and yesterday measuring less than 0.5mm
    A generally dry, warm and breezy week is forecast.

Watering:

Watered Sunday morning to maintain current Going for
    Tuesday. No further watering is planned before racing Tuesday.
    Given the current forecast it is likely that watering after
    racing will take place through the week to replace moisture
    lost through evapotranspiration.

Thanks
    Galloping young/immature horses on firm ground is close to cruelty. Far better that they err on the side of too soft than too firm.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Galloping young/immature horses on firm ground is close to cruelty. Far better that they err on the side of too soft than too firm.
    Cruelty is galloping horses without doing sufficient road work to strengthen the bones (ie completing the bone remodelling stage.) EG Godolphin have their 2yos on the gallops immediately after the 6 week breaking in programme. (see their videos on Youtube) A large % of trainers in the UK which is why so many horses have sore shins and their joints are wrecked by the end of their 3yo campaign. The winners are the vets, some whose business is purely driving round injecting racehorses with arthritis or knackered joints.

So far only one of my 2yos has started cantering this year because the others bones have not completed the remodelling stage. My horses often race to 9 or 10 on the flat without injury or ever having to be jabbed. Unfortunately most owner want instant racing and very few have the patience required.

Amazingly there are a few people in the BHA who privately agree with me......the only thing we agree on!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Racehorsematch View Post
    here is the official going report published on the BHA site. Completely different to reet hard's post.
    Hardly surprising, considering it was from the next day.
    Though it's dried up some, it remains consistent across the whole of the straight course.
    My money's still on the muppets.
    Last edited by reet hard; 18th June 2018 at 9:23 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    COC currently on RUK saying only had 2mm all month so far, driest period leading up to meeting he has known. Watered Sunday (5mm) and going will be watered to stay Good to Firm all week. Anticipating putting on about 4mm tonight to replace moisture lost during the day which can be as much as 3mm depending on whether cloudy or dry and bright like today and so on for rest of week.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (19th June 2018)

Thanks
    Finally got my head around US Navy Flag's apparently suicidal run in the Irish Guineas, and decided it was a fitness run - with this race firmly in mind.
    His full sister (Roly Poly) actually thrived on racing, as did their dam (Misty For Me). Neither was lightly raced, and both improved throughout their career, too.
    In the light of this epiphany, I'd rate UNF as the class horse in the race, and an Ascot banker, too.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    RUK coverage here on Facebook free until 1PM

https://www.facebook.com/racinguk/vi...f_t=live_video

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Good to see the COTC is watering...gotta look after the best horses or the future would be very bleak.

Anyway you guys want winners not opinions so here goes: Wooton..ignore the last run there was a honest excuse and they expect today it will be get the fook out of my way wooosh!!! race over
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 1,011 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    Good to see the COTC is watering...gotta look after the best horses or the future would be very bleak.

Anyway you guys want winners not opinions so here goes: Wooton..ignore the last run there was a honest excuse and they expect today it will be get the fook out of my way wooosh!!! race over
    With you on Wooton!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,179 Posts
    They just make these going reports up last year first race was fast by 2 seconds this years slow by .35 plus yet going stick exactly the same they are going to put some water on top laughable if they do second race was slow by 1.19 seconds as well the fact lord glitters was 2nd sent the alarm bells out..will be nearer good ground tomorrow..if they water.Think its impossible to get decent gd/fm ground if they water previous day,they should leave that tomorrow and maybe water tomorrow after racing.
    Last edited by gigilo; 19th June 2018 at 4:19 PM.

Thanks
    Strange pronunciation of the winner there during the ITV commentary. The whole way through the race he's called her LA goes to Vegas.

Unimportant I know but I got back from a fortnight in Vegas on Saturday and my intials are LA. As soon as I heard the pronunciation I thought to myself; why haven't I backed this Mullins trained beast?.

To rub salt into the wounds I took 4 places, 1/4 odds about Whisky Sour and he finishes 5th. A race to forget in an otherwise decent day
    Last edited by wilsonl; 19th June 2018 at 7:35 PM.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Thanked 3,474 Times in 2,734 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post
    Strange pronunciation of the winner there during the ITV commentary. The whole way through the race he's called him LA goes to Vegas.

Unimportant I know but I got back from a fortnight in Vegas on Saturday and my intials are LA. As soon as I heard the pronunciation I thought to myself; why haven't I backed this Mullins trained beast?.

To rub salt into the wounds I took 4 places, 1/4 odds about Whisky Sour and he finishes 5th. A race to forget in an otherwise decent day
    And I backed the bitch in the Cesarewitch last season

And that commentator is the ultimate oxymoron, a useless cvnt.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 19th June 2018 at 5:19 PM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    and Ollie says to Mullins 'he'.......they're sooooooo professional

Thanks
    Great to see Calyx back up that debut. Destroyed em.

Happy to see Without Parole back up the faith.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaceBacker View Post
    Think Equilateral is the next Battaash
    Hope he is too, at least at Ascot. Heavily involved in SN.

Tempted to take Cracksman on tomorrow as I don't think a fast surface on this track will suit but the watering worries me.

Aljazzi is a good ew bet in the Duke of C. Good second in this last year and this renewal is worse.

Thanks
    The watering, I would think, would actually make no difference to the going. I am close to the course and it is still 20 degrees here with lots of clouds, with no showers forecast over night. I would think it would be exactly the same as today.