Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Derby

Thanks

The Derby

Is there a thread on this ? I cannot see one.

Whilst Saxon Warrior was an impressive winner of the Guineas and his pedigree would mean one would expect him to get the trip it is not such a one horse race as suggested albeit he would be my choice .

He is a big horse and who knows how well he will come down the hill ? For the Epsom classics generally the media and bookies seem to take an absurdly certain view that AOB is bound to win. The two AOB horses that were beaten at LIngfield on Saturday were ridiculously short and the ITV team especially Chaparse ruled out Perfect Clarity and Knight to Behold simply on the basis it seemed of their connections ( and the latter pinching the race off the turn) .

No doubt on that basis they would have regarded Look Here as a no-hoper at Epsom for example. Imagine how short K to B would be if he were trained by Michael Stoute.

The same seems to apply to Hazapour's win yesterday.

I still think Saxon Warrior will win mind but it would be good if another challenger emerged to the AOB dominance from the Dante this week .

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Julian Muscat on ATR's Sunday Forum yesterday seemed very sweet on a horse called Young Rascal , no idea if JM is a judge or not.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    As far as I know it was JM who got the job of BHA handicapper when I applied for it many years ago. I don't think he stayed too long in the job but I may be mixing him up with someone else with similar initials.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Not him Mo, he worked on various stud farms then entered journalism, primarily with The Times.

Never knew you had applied for that Mo btw.

Thanks
    Young Rascal is a legitimate contender.

If one looks at the nascent stride patterns and cadence research that Simon Rowlands is doing you would have your doubt whether SW will actually stay.
    Currently way too short in any case
    I find this potential angle one of the more interesting of the last years.
    Sectionals are old hat to anyone growing up on American racing.
    ROLL ON THE RESISTANCE !!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Not him Mo, he worked on various stud farms then entered journalism, primarily with The Times.

Never knew you had applied for that Mo btw.
    Indeed I did, DG.

In fact, I still have the ad on file:

HANDICAPPER

Home-based
    Competitive Salary + car + benefits

The British Horseracing Board has been the sport’s
    governing body since 1993. We work closely with
    our partners in The Jockey Club, the regulatory body,
    to promote and develop the appeal and integrity of
    British Racing.

Now we can offer what has to be an ideal role for a
    serious racing enthusiast. You’ll be one of only a handful
    of professionals who attend the races, analyse the form
    and use their judgement to provide the Flat and Jump
    Official Handicap Ratings that keep the fairness and
    excitement in the sport.

We’ll provide you with the computer, audio visual and other
    office equipment you’ll need to ensure you have access to
    all the information for your assessments and evaluations
    from home, but a key element of your job will be travelling
    to meetings in your region and further afield – liaising with
    Stewards, Race Officials, Trainers, other horseracing
    professionals and the Media. You’ll also help to evaluate
    the performances of horses in certain international races.

A thorough knowledge of horseracing is essential –
    preferably with a professional background in the sport,
    although training can be provided to develop your
    awareness in key areas. What cannot be taught is a natural
    flair for analysing and interpreting data, coupled with the
    instinct and initiative to reach sound judgements. You’ll
    also need real strength of character, integrity, diplomacy
    and the willingness to work irregular hours, with some
    nights away from home.

In return you can expect a competitive salary and a
    comprehensive benefits package including a car, travel
    expenses, pension, private medical cover and permanent health
    insurance. To apply, please write with your CV to:
    If they offered me the job today I'd probably take it but only if it didn't go to interview. I'm in a position to make demands of my own!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Diamond Geezer (14th May 2018)

Thanks
    I was on Dee ex Bee in the Vase and don't really understand why Young Rascal is getting all the love from that race. That said I'd prefer the Johnston horse for the Edward VII.

At this stage Saxon Warrior looks very solid and my ap money looks done on The Pentagon but I will probably back Hazapour on the day.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    I was on Dee ex Bee in the Vase and don't really understand why Young Rascal is getting all the love from that race.
    Don't know about the love but I can offer up several reasons why I rate him.

The horse is a real equine athlete. Watch the Chester race and see how many different dynamics he is faced with in 2.5 minutes with that little experience beforehand.
    Right up to where he goes in the gap between Ispolini and Dee ex Bee in the stretch run with his head sideways for brief moments.
    Was slightly behind the Johnston horse when he started that run and ran all the way to the wire with real ease in the end.
    Real nimble all the way around the track, he'll have little problems at Epsom

This horse has increased his numbers across the board in leaps and bounds in his last two races.
    I already had him on a Grp. 3 speed figure after his maiden run at Newbury.
    He can go forward again and if his progression stays the same as his last two races he'll win the Derby easily.
    If not, he is still in with a very live chance.

Love his sire Intello. One of the few really top notch Galileos to run on the continent.
    Totally underrated as a race horse imo. From 8 to 12 furlongs world class. Truly versatile and just a pleasure to watch racing.
    Th irony if he turns out to be the best offspring of Galileo at stud.

Zero concern about him getting the trip with speed to go with it.

Some people might consider this laughable but Jimmy Doyle is a big plus in my opinion.
    Still underrated for whatever reason but he 's got all the goods necessary to win the Derby.

Haggas cannot be a negative.

Finally looking at the Ballydoyle landscape this year based on initial results it is not looking like a banner year which of course would still be the year of a lifetime for most other trainers.
    They seemed to put a lot of time and energy into their Kentucky adventure or maybe this crop is just not that good but aside from the Warrior I'm not overly impressed, albeit it is still early.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brendanr View Post
    Finally looking at the Ballydoyle landscape ... maybe this crop is just not that good but aside from the Warrior I'm not overly impressed, albeit it is still early.
    Isn't this becoming the norm with Ballydoyle at this stage of the season? No shortage of seemingly disappointing runs only for them to start flying from the Derby meeting on.

Thanks
    Could be but I can only judge what is in the here and now. Past seasonal results are what they are.

The 4 horses O'Brien has named as sure starters for the Derby fail to intimidate.
    SW is an imposing horse with a lot of talent but for me the verdict on him in the Derby is split.
    He has not really put in an impressive timefigure yet but he is a big beast of a thing who will surely get better, which he will need to do.
    The others would not frighten me in the least.

Looking at last year's race the best horse did not win, was not even second, so experience can count for a lot and that O'Brien's horses have.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My worry would be if the young whippersnapper Donnacha O'Brien was to ride Saxon.

I am not up to date but the kid riding a horse who would be worth millions more if he wins at Epsom..well it would not be me.

Like the Mullins duo David and Danny who wouldn't get a ride at a flapping track but for the connections blood is thicker than water.

That said he's way too inexperienced to be given the mount.........has he even been to Epsom.

There's also the problem that horses rapidly improve and sometimes Guineas for is rubbish by the end of the season.

Boy rides it I'll lay it
    Last edited by Tanlic; 14th May 2018 at 7:39 PM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    My worry would be if the young whippersnapper Donnacha O'Brien was to ride Saxon.

I am not up to date but the kid riding a horse who would be worth millions more if he wins at Epsom..well it would not be me.

Like the Mullins duo David and Danny who wouldn't get a ride at a flapping track but for the connections blood is thicker than water.

That said he's way too inexperienced to be given the mount.........has he even been to Epsom.

There's also the problem that horses rapidly improve and sometimes Guineas for is rubbish by the end of the season.

Boy rides it I'll lay it
    Time to move on to other pastures if Moore does not ride
    Won't happen though. Ballydoyle employs Moore for these moments.
    Only way he does not ride is if he is dead or in a full body cast.

It's like Ruby for Mullins.
    Last edited by brendanr; 14th May 2018 at 8:25 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Julian Muscat on ATR's Sunday Forum yesterday seemed very sweet on a horse called Young Rascal , no idea if JM is a judge or not.
    I meant to add as an aside, they read out an email from Jon who "looks after the owners and trainers at Brighton". Must have been from our old friend Krizon I assume.

Thanks
    The race gets a bit more interesting as Gosden confirms Roaring Lion goes here. I've just taken the 7/1 as while I think SW is still the most likely winner I prefer the 7s about RL than I do odds on about the fav.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Would have been crazy not to go for this given how well he ran in the Dante.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Big mistake
    will not stay

place lay for me, Obrien will have 3 to beat him

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardross View Post
    Whilst Saxon Warrior was an impressive winner of the Guineas and his pedigree would mean one would expect him to get the trip it is not such a one horse race as suggested albeit he would be my choice .
    Does his pedigree necessarily entitle him to get the trip? I don't think his dam Maybe would have got a mile and a half and her progeny thus far have seemed better over shorter. The second dam was a sprinter as well. I'm no pedigree expert and you would think a Deep Impact out of a Galileo mare would get the trip, but the way he quickened to the front in the Guineas had me wondering. If he gets the mile and a half he could be a monster.

I liked Hazapour in the Derrinstown - quickened nicely and has the right profile. 16's looks more than fair to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with you trackside on both counts.
    Just because a horse stays a mile at two does not necessarily mean he will be better over further later in life.
    His acceleration at Newmarket looked stunning to be sure.

Thanks
    I don't think the Guineas, form-wise, was anything special and I'm not convinced the trip will suit either.

I'm more than happy with my ante-post bets on The Pentagon as the form has been franked repeatedly. I do think we will see a completely different animal on Derby day.

Thanks
    Agree DO and I haven't written off my ap position either - but as I type he's 50 on the machine..doubtful runner?