Thread: Punchestown or Galway?

Thanks

Punchestown or Galway?

The group that I go racing having been talking about planning a trip to either Punchestown or Galway.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for which is better, accommodation closish to the course etc?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Galway for fun, Punch for racing
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Have done quite a few racing trips to the Emerald Isle usually taking in 5 or6 racecourses each time as well as stable visits (Willie Mullins, Jessica Harrington, Mouse Morris all very accommodating) and various stud farms as well as a day in Dublin on a non racing day and we always make sure Punchestown is part of the itinerary although I can't offer a comparison with Galway as it's one of the ones I haven't be to albeit the group have and enjoyed it.

We have stayed a lot at the Killeshin Hotel in Port Laoise as it's pretty central for a lot of the courses and found it very comfortable with friendly staff.

Thanks
    I'd endorse both previous comments.

Galway accommodation prices are up there at Cheltenham levels and the closest to Punchestown, in Naas, is both expensive and in short supply. Depending on how many are in your group, you may well find it cheaper to stay further out, as DG says. You could hire a minibus or get the train to Sallins (free shuttle to Naas and then special race shuttle bus from Naas).

A reasonable alternative to both Punchestown and Galway would be the Dublin Festival in early February. Possible to do with just one night's accommodation and 2 quality racing days.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Goodwood.

Thanks
    I've been to Goodwood a few times Euro.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Come to Lovely Listowel Harvest Festival.
    Not too busy bar Friday (ladies Day) good competitive racing, a local crowd with an active night life ; visitors welcome.
    Irish Racing Festival at Leopardstown has the potential to be the best Irish Festival of the lot.

Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, think we're going to do Galway in 2020.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggers1972 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, think we're going to do Galway in 2020.

If you get a chance, spend a day or two and maybe do a tour taking in something like the cliffs of Moher or Aran Islands
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    If you get a chance, spend a day or two and maybe do a tour taking in something like the cliffs of Moher or Aran Islands
    Don't go with a hangover after getting cleaned on a 0-70 Weld hcap good thing or you might not make it back

Thanks
    Well it looks like we have a plan sorted for my 50th next year - a couple of days at the Punchestown Festival

Now to sort travel plans .......

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Killarney races on a soft late May evening is paradise found.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    I cannot speak for Galway, but have done Punchestown various times and thoroughly enjoy it. I tend to stay in Dublin and get the coach service provided via marathon travel from the city centre, However this year I decided to rent a car and stayed in Blessington which was great as not too far from the course and able to unwind in the evenings as Blessington was not busy at all.

Thanks
    One for An Capall - Killarney on a grand day

ancapall.JPG

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Geezus why would anyone want to go to Galway races? Half the horses you will never have heard of who will be off for the first time in 11 months if not their lives and the other half you'll wish you'd never heard off.

It has to be the worst meeting in the history of racing for punters and racelovers alike.

Now Puchestown you get the Douvan's and the Faugheens turning up most of which have been running on merit most of their lives if not all...........no brainier where to go if you are a racing fan..........Perth:0)
    Formely Fist of Fury