Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Punchestown Festival 2018

Thanks
    I want to wish Katie Walsh a long and happy retirement. She was a really good jockey, and a credit to her sport.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chroniclandlord View Post
    I want to wish Katie Walsh a long and happy retirement. She was a really good jockey, and a credit to her sport.
    Seconded and Nina now too.

Ted will probably get her a bit of work on RTE.

As an aside, I found Ruby very good on RTE this week and happy to pull up his father for talking shi*e
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    True Katie and Nina took the sport to new levels with competitiveness , kindness and friendliness to each other, the public and those who employed them.
    Great to see each go out on winners, in one piece and at the top of their game.
    Nina is proof of how much brother Paul could have achieved if he only gave a s''te.
    Amazing to think Tommy, Paul and Nina all won on their first Festival rides; some family.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    One of the things Punchestown does best is separate racing from non racing activities in a common sense way that does not effect the enjoyment by either group.
    Even yesterday with families filling all enclosures it was possible to get around, see the horses, have a drink and a bet without having to queue.
    Exiting the racecourse was easy also as the fine day had no one in a rush to leave, apart from Ml O'Leary.
    Top marks to all race course folk there for their planning and management, a lesson that could be learned by many others.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to edgt For This Useful Post:

Danny (29th April 2018)

Thanks
    Punchestown did, indeed, get a lot right but they made a complete hash of the arrangements for owners. A much trumpeted new lounge was limited to 4 wristbands per owner. They have done this in the past but have always had an owners & trainers bar where people could meet up. No such facility this year even for the likes of Wylie and Ricci. Fairyhouse and Leopardstown do a much better job in this area.

Personally it was a great week with 2 winners and a fourth although Cadmium and Kemboy have been handed a good few extra pounds by the handicapper for their pains. I managed to get over for the Thursday and ticking the Punchestown winner box capped off a day to savour with the performances of Faugheen and Footpad. Interesting to note that, carrying 17lb less, Cadmium covered the course 3.4 seconds quicker than Footpad. Obviously, it doesn't put him up there with Footpad but it does indicate a quality performance as does the 13lb hike. Kemboy goes up 9lb to 156.
    Last edited by archie; 30th April 2018 at 9:29 AM.
    The older I get the better I was.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archie For This Useful Post:

edgt (30th April 2018), Perpetual (30th April 2018)

Thanks
    Congratulations Archie. Not only two winners, but such a thrill to be there to witness one of them winning at such a great Festival.
    Last edited by Maruco; 30th April 2018 at 6:06 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Maruco For This Useful Post:

archie (30th April 2018)

Thanks
    Cheers Paul.

I've had a fair amount of flak over the piece for trying to defend Willie's methods so I'll just rely on a few stats for now.

2017/18 season
    Mullins 212 winners from 797 runners. I'm struggling to think of any horse that ran more than ten times. None of mine ran more than six.
    Elliott 210/1255
    O'Brien 67/473

All fine efforts from very good trainers.

Punchestown - WPM
    18 winners
    13 different owners
    10 different jockeys
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Stat of the week in Irish Examiner was that if WPM had started the week on zero prizemoney he would have been Champion trainer runner up with Punchestown Festival money alone.

Thanks
    There's no doubting that Willie is a superb trainer, but I suspect he'll always polarise opinion. I think it's probably fair to say though that the majority have him in the genius category.

The more recent concerns have been expressed about horses that have run too often this season or even doubled up last week. I don't buy that if I'm honest. In the past Martin Pipe and Paul Nicholls have been bigger culprits than Willie was this season. And Gordon runs his far more than Willie. Either way Willie gave Gordon a bloody nose at Punchestown, and the interview Gary O'Brien did with Gordon was the best indicator of how he's feeling. The words were positive, but the body language was from a man who was pretty despondent. I wonder whether he might change tack slightly next season and keep his better horses much fresher through the season.

That stat about Willie being second in the Trainers Championship sums it up for me really. It's a remarkable achievement, but it once again raises concerns about the health of Irish racing when. 95% of the best equine talent being in only in two stables can't be healthy. As an owner I wouldn't care, and I'd be more than happy to have a horse with either, as I would with Henderson and Nicholls, but as a racing fan I am concerned that we'll see more and more of the smaller stables going out of business.

It's pretty tough to make a living on 20 or so 100 rated horses, with little prizemoney coming through the door, and new owners barely noticing you exist.

Thanks
    In the old days, by which I mean about ten years ago, it would have been inconceivable for a trainer in Ireland to train more than 200 winners in a season and to win more prize money than any stable in Britain. Nobody in Ireland was operating on the scale of a Nicholls or even a Nicholson. Now there are two such trainers, which certainly puts a serious squeeze on everyone else.

But look at how Henderson monopolised Aintree once the big Irish stables were out of the way. Is something similar happening/about to happen in Britain too?

The upside for Irish followers is that there have never been more good horses based in Ireland, which makes it possible to stage festivals of racing of a seriously high standard.

The downside, obviously enough, is loss of diversity and concentration of power in too few hands. The same thing is going on in the wider economy too, by the way. As the governor of the Bank of England suggested the other day, Marx might be about to make a comeback!
    Last edited by Grey; 1st May 2018 at 5:39 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Cheers Paul.

I've had a fair amount of flak over the piece for trying to defend Willie's methods so I'll just rely on a few stats for now.

2017/18 season
    Mullins 212 winners from 797 runners. I'm struggling to think of any horse that ran more than ten times. None of mine ran more than six.
    Elliott 210/1255
    O'Brien 67/473

All fine efforts from very good trainers.

Punchestown - WPM
    18 winners
    13 different owners
    10 different jockeys

Between Cheltenham & Punchestown Willie had 18 different winning owners. That is a lot of happy owners who are likely to re-invest. Last week he saddled horses for 45 different owners. Gordon has become very dependent on Gigginstown and I'm not sure that a business model built on the whims of Michael O'Leary is prudent in the long term.

Thanks
    A gigi spilt would crumble Elliott

He'd still finish second to Willie, but by a country mile
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    WPM looking at sending a good team to Auteuil on 19th and 20th May including Djakadam for the Grand Steeplechase, as well as Faugheen, Saglawy, Mr Adjudicator,Stormy Ireland and possibly Penhill.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    No wonder Ruby wants to be back

Thanks
    Unfortunately won’t be sending Faugheen

Faugheen has had a growth in the groin area the size of a mandarin orange removed on Wednesday, his trainer Willie Mullins reported. ...

Read the full story at: http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...range/2490515/

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    No need to run Faugheen.

He has done his bit for the year before he goes goldcuppin

Thanks
    Mullins would've been mad to go for another race after he had Faugheen in training since summer last year, thats a long season for any horse. I was surprised to see him run at P'town as well but I guess it was a final shot to see what to do with him..