Page 13 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182363 ... LastLast

Thread: Ante-Post Punting Plans/Propositions Thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Is this a flat thread or should we set up a jumps alternative for the season ahead?
    It started off as Non Cheltenham Festival Related, but I changed the title, so anything goes now, Cheltenham or non Cheltenham, PJ!

I can't wait to see Soloman Grey, from Dan Skelton's yard, out this season, especially for the big handicap hurdles. I wonder will he sneak in off bottom weight in The Greatwood Hurdle for starters.
    Last edited by Marb; 13th September 2018 at 10:14 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

granger (14th September 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    The St Wilfred looks a good race to have a bet in this year. Eve Johnson Houghton trains an excellent horse called ICE AGE, who won two valuable races, including one in Ireland at the Curragh, off a mark of 91 & 96 last season. This horse has stepped up again this season, now rated 106, winning a couple of decent sprints, and so would carry my money in this race. Like many good horses Ice Age goes on most goings. Ice Age finished third in a little conditions race behind Top Score and a Roger Varian winner the last day, but should do better now stepped up in another big field handicap. 20/1 with Ladbrokes and Corals, quarter the odds, the first four each way.
    Runs on sunday at the curragh.forecast price 33/1 and i like a high draw and its drawn 16.(drawn 6 the last time he ran at the curragh).
    Al qahwa finished 2nd to it at the curragh and is now 11lb better off.O'meara also has summerghand in it and surprisingly Tudhope isnt down to ride either.both drawn well in 19 and 20.
    glenamoy lad went into my notebook after his run in the stewards cup and is drawn 17 but forecast price is 11/2.
    Marie Of Lyon is drawn 21 and is 20/1
    Dark shot 50/1 is drawn 25 so most of the british runners are all drawn well.
    If Ice Age is 33/1 then its certainly worth a bet.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Outsider For This Useful Post:

Marb (15th September 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It looks like I've found the horse with the 'interesting' profile potentially for the Cambridgeshire in a fortnight. He was beaten at short odds in some maiden races, but is possibly being laid out for a big handicap. The horse is Hamdan Al Maktoum owned, trained by Owen Burrows, called Mafaaheem, currently priced at 25/1. He's also entered in The Dubai Duty Free at Newbury next Saturday, so I will keep an eye out for which race he is declared for, before emptying what I have left in my betting account on him. As mentioned previously, I have noticed a few of the winners of showcase handicaps from this and last season, (2016/17 & 2017/18), found bags of improvement after being gelded, often after disappointing in maiden races, and having changed trainers. Mafaaheem fits the profile nicely.
    Last edited by Marb; 15th September 2018 at 9:05 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Outsider (15th September 2018)

Thanks
    Anyone had a look at the Ayr Gold Cup yet?

I like the look of Hey Jonesy at 33s. Think you can put a line through the Sprint Cup where he did too much too soon with Harry Angel. He'll have plenty of weight to carry being rated 107 but I think he can make a splash if dropped back into this prestigious handicap for connections who know how to win it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DanB88 For This Useful Post:

Marb (16th September 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I havent yet, though Muntadab could place if dropped in trip for Saturday, (he keeps going out like a lightbulb a furlong from home over 7F). I will take a look at yours in a minute, Dan. There is nothing with backing a couple in these races.
    Last edited by Marb; 16th September 2018 at 1:37 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Is this a flat thread or should we set up a jumps alternative for the season ahead?
    I had a look at the jump markets earlier and I dunno if it's the paucity of good flat action to study for a couple of weeks or being out of practice but I spent a good 20 minutes pondering whether or not Politologue was a live one for Haydock if the ground wasn't soft enough for the Bristol.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    I had a look at the jump markets earlier and I dunno if it's the paucity of good flat action to study for a couple of weeks or being out of practice but I spent a good 20 minutes pondering whether or not Politologue was a live one for Haydock if the ground wasn't soft enough for the Bristol.
    Sam Twist on reported on Bristol earlier. Sounded bullish, as you'd expect. Stronger hoss, who knows what he'll do this year, etc etc.

SlimChance
    How short does Son Of Rest go off in the Ayr Gold Cup?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Never heard of it!

(ie Must check it out.)
    Illegitimi non carborundum

SlimChance
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Never heard of it!

(ie Must check it out.)
    https://www.racingpost.com/news/no-r...mission/346296

Has won a premier handicap off 103. Gets into Ayr off 101 with his new mark being 111. He has to go off 5/1 or there about.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimChance View Post

Has won a premier handicap off 103. Gets into Ayr off 101 with his new mark being 111. He has to go off 5/1 or there about.
    7/2 IMHO and G Force goes off 12's.
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

Thanks
    I’ve taken the 12/1 about Soldiers Call for the Abbaye.

2 Year olds don’t tend to do well in this race, though not too many try, but in comfortably winning the Flying Childers Soldiers Call posted the best 5f performance by a 2yo colt for over a decade based on RP ratings and the best in this race in over 20 years.

There’s a slight concern he’ll miss the race and go straight to the BC but Watson suggested after Donny that he’d take in one or both races and the WFA would make France very tempting.

Battaash sets a high bar but he’ll have to be at the top of his game to concede 18lb to Soldiers Call.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks

But surely he'll have a penalty (5lbs? 7lbs?) to contend with too. I must admit I'd never heard of him so I was a wee bit taken aback when I checked him out last night. He was rated a bit higher than 101 in the past so he's very likely a season+-long plot to get him in here off a nice weight. There may well be several such plots in the race, though; there usually are. I'd venture that, since he's an Irish raider, he'll go off closer to 9/4. I reckon people like Chapman will howl about him through the Morning Line (or whatever it's called these days) and muppet after muppet will follow the money.

I wouldn't rule out my being one of his backers but it wouldn't be anything to do with other influences. However, I'm much more like to take the stubborn approach and oppose him cos I've missed the 25s

SlimChance
    He can't get a penalty for finishing 2nd!

You haven't missed 25/1. There is a lot of new information. We now know that he runs and we also know that he is officially 10lbs well in. 8/1 is a fair price.

Thanks
    I must have misread the form. I thought he won the other day. I see he was 'only' second.

The ground is likely to be heavy by Saturday. It was abandoned last year. Could lightning strike twice, to use a clumsy metaphor?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    I havent yet, though Muntadab could place if dropped in trip for Saturday, (he keeps going out like a lightbulb a furlong from home over 7F).
    Shortening up all the time, 33's and 40's into 20's and 16's now. Backed it myself today aswell. Should find out if Mafaaheem runs at Ayr this Saturday tomorrow.
    Last edited by Marb; 20th September 2018 at 1:39 AM.

Thanks
    He shortened up today because Paul Kealy headlined him in his Weekender piece.

I might end up having some sickness insurance on him having punted him at least twice this season. I wouldn't punt him without good reason.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 19th September 2018 at 10:14 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Marb (20th September 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Oh, I didn't know that, interesting, thanks DO.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Mafaaheem declared for 4:15 at Ayr on Saturday. I have just backed him for The Cambridgeshire in the hope he wins this Saturday and the seven day break is enough for him to take in The Cambridgeshire.
    Last edited by Marb; 20th September 2018 at 1:40 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Outsider (22nd September 2018)

Thanks
    He can't get a penalty for finishing 2nd!

You haven't missed 25/1. There is a lot of new information. We now know that he runs and we also know that he is officially 10lbs well in. 8/1 is a fair price.
    Fair price indeed!