Page 17 of 106 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718192021222767 ... LastLast

Thread: Ante-Post Punting Plans/Propositions Thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One more Handicap this season to anaylise, which is the Balmoral Handicap this Saturday. John Gosdens Laugh Aloud is catching my eye, having been rated quite highly after a Group Three win last season. He has dropped quite a bit in the handicap from a career high mark of 110, so could run well again back in a handicap (on 101). He is 33/1 with Ladbrokes and Corals as I type. I will probably have a decent bet on him, but will wait until later in the week, as don't want to lose stake money if he doesn't run.
    Last edited by Marb; 14th October 2018 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post
    The "Foxy Bingo Fur Ever Friends Handicap" at Chester on Saturday looks an interesting betting heat.

Mark's Johnston's pair head the market. Lake Volta ran well the last day. Poets Society won at 20/1 at York.
    I guess the question is: How reliable are those two horses? Both in terms of maintaining that high level of form that they showed last time and carrying their respective weights. I'm prepared to take them both on, with AL ERAYG, at 16/1 with Boylesports. This former Qatar-owned horse, scored on his first career start in 2016 over at Maisons Laffitte, when beating the formerly trained Andre Fabre horse Repercussion (rated 101). Al Erayg was then beaten a shortish odds a couple of times in 2017 in France, before leaving F-H Graffards yard for Tim Easterby's (after being gelded). This is his first start for Tim Easterby. He's been off the track for 390 days, but showed he can win first time out in France, and is on an exploitable mark (93). I'll be having more on in terms of stake than I usually would.
    This is overpriced today, (Musselburgh 3:20). Worth another go.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Outsider (15th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    One more Handicap this season to anaylise, which is the Balmoral Handicap this Saturday. John Gosdens Laugh Aloud is catching my eye, having been rated quite highly after a Group Three win last season. He has dropped quite a bit in the handicap from a career high mark of 110, so could run well again back in a handicap (on 101). He is 33/1 with Ladbrokes and Corals as I type. I will probably have a decent bet on him, but will wait until later in the week, as don't want to lose stake money if he doesn't run.
    LA is a mare and that high rating came as a result of a win in a females' Listed race at Goodwood which she then backed up at odds-on in a weak G3 [females] race. She may have gone wrong after that as she missed her next engagement and then the rest of the season and didn't reappear until last month so well over a year off. Her reappearance was certainly promising but she has appeared to go backwards since then, restricted all the time to F&M races. In fact, she's only ever raced once against colts and that was in a Class 4 juvenile maiden race.

It may be that they've realised she isn't going to win a decent black type race any more so they've been getting her mark down for a big handicap but it looks to me like she's out of love with the game. Having said that, she'll be on my radar purely because of the difference between her old and current ratings plus she'd be a Godolphin-in-a-handicap, which would always interest me, but any interest in a bet will be held off until the day.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Interesting. I ment to correct my comments, on her being a mare. Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This is overpriced today, (Musselburgh 3:20). Worth another go.
    Al Erayg being hammered in the betting today.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    LA is a mare and that high rating came as a result of a win in a females' Listed race at Goodwood which she then backed up at odds-on in a weak G3 [females] race. She may have gone wrong after that as she missed her next engagement and then the rest of the season and didn't reappear until last month so well over a year off. Her reappearance was certainly promising but she has appeared to go backwards since then, restricted all the time to F&M races. In fact, she's only ever raced once against colts and that was in a Class 4 juvenile maiden race.

It may be that they've realised she isn't going to win a decent black type race any more so they've been getting her mark down for a big handicap but it looks to me like she's out of love with the game. Having said that, she'll be on my radar purely because of the difference between her old and current ratings plus she'd be a Godolphin-in-a-handicap, which would always interest me, but any interest in a bet will be held off until the day.
    Taken out today, DO.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (15th October 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just had £1 ew The Pentagon 200/1 for the melbourne cup.

Thanks
    There's too much of a price difference between Laurens and Happily in the QEII.

Yes, Laurens always seems to pull out a bit more when needed but I've a suspicion we haven't seen the best of Happily all year and with the yard over the mid season dip could have a decent end of season.

Roaring Lion is a worthy favourite but has to be taken on at such a short price back over a mile on soft ground and if it wasn't for Enable he'd surely be heading for the BC turf.

The rest are much of a muchness and having horses like Lord Glitters, Beat The Bank and Addeybb (none of whom have won a G1) at a third of the price of dual G1 winner Happily (albeit as a 2yo), who'll also be ideally suited by a mile on this ground, is plain wrong.

Happily e/w, 3 places 1/5 odds @ 16/1
    Last edited by wilsonl; 18th October 2018 at 3:03 PM.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wilsonl For This Useful Post:

Marb (18th October 2018), Outsider (19th October 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Will you follow you on Happily, Lee. Good luck.
    Last edited by Marb; 18th October 2018 at 6:45 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

wilsonl (18th October 2018)

Thanks
    Have just taken 50/1 4 places, 1/4 odds with 888 about Finche in the Melbourne cup. Way overpriced
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wilsonl For This Useful Post:

Outsider (24th October 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Newcross has been entered in the Irish Ceserewitch a day after its English equivalent on the Sunday. He is certainly higher up the list to get in, No. 45 I believe, so if I had to punt him now I would definitely turn my attention towards Navan. See how they price them up.
    Surprised to see he came home in 7th in the end at Navan out of 20 + horses. I don't think we saw the best of him. He is entered up now in The Irish November Handicap on Sunday over 1M4F where hopefully he will be ridden more prominently. He should be a good ride for somebody. He would have a live chance (if declared).
    Last edited by Marb; 1st November 2018 at 4:06 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Newcross declared on Sunday. Second reserve.

Thanks
    It's been fairly dry up here recently and although that can change very easily in the hope of no worse than gs ground at Haydock at the end of the month I've taken 17.5 on the machine about Politologue for the Betfair Chase. He's bred to stay 3m and it's possible the extra trip will bring about some improvement. Might Bite would obviously be a massive danger but you can't be afraid of one horse - esp one in the care of a trainer who could bottle out of running him.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I havent yet, though Muntadab could place if dropped in trip for Saturday, (he keeps going out like a lightbulb a furlong from home over 7F). I will take a look at yours in a minute, Dan. There is nothing with backing a couple in these races.
    Tracked down the date I thought Ayr Gold Cup was the race for Muntadab. He finished 24th out of 25 horses at Ayr. Then won three races at nice prices afterwards.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I am eyeing up backing a horse called Gin Palace this weekend in the big international handicap at Ascot. A big improver last season then carried it on by winning two races from two starts this season. At about 16/1 I might have to back it before final declarations.
    Last edited by Marb; 20th July 2020 at 5:22 PM.

Thanks
    Elarqam Saturday. 7/2 acceptable got 4s yesterday. York is his favourite track, he won the race last year and imo can be forgiven his Hardwicke blow out on trip grounds.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marb View Post
    I am eyeing up backing a horse called Gin Palace this weekend in the big international handicap at Ascot. A big improver last season then carried it on by winning two races from two starts this season. At about 16/1 I might have to back it before final declarations.
    If I fancied it I'd hold off until those final decs. He's currently 27 in a max field of 24. He'll probably get in but not guaranteed although you'd be refunded if it ended up being balloted out.

I've got my eye on a possible surprise package in the race but am holding off until the day for the extra places and odds guarantees. It will almost certainly qualify for the longshot thread but there has to be a strong chance that it won't run.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Marb (21st July 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think that's sound advice, DO.

I see Betfred are dangling a standout price of 20/1. It's tempting but probably wiser to wait for final decs as you say.
    Last edited by Marb; 21st July 2020 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    There's another horse I fancy entered up in the 2.05 at York called Dawaaween. I was looking at a few form lines the other night and Dawaaween is a horse on the up.

He is priced as second favorite at about 7/1 for Saturday. The trouble is he is also entered on Sunday. So I will have to wait before backing him as well.

I will be looking at two singles on Gin Palace and Dawaaween and maybe an each way double depending on the prices.
    Last edited by Marb; 21st July 2020 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marb View Post
    There's another horse I fancy entered up in the 2.05 at York called Dawaaween. I was looking at a few form lines the other night and Dawaaween is a horse on the up.

He is priced as second favorite at about 7/1 for Saturday. The trouble is he is also entered on Sunday. So I will have to wait before backing him as well.

I will be looking at two singles on Gin Palace and Dawaaween and maybe an each way double depending on the prices.
    Dawaaween solid second favourite tomorrow. Probably my nap of the day.