Page 3 of 106 FirstFirst 123456781353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Ante-Post Punting Plans/Propositions Thread.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    Mmmm. I didn't think she'd take in a race before the Lockinge. Worried they'll head for the POW now
    The Pretty Polly is at the beginning of July - I wonder might they go down the Pretty Polly / Nassau route with her instead.

Coolmore have bought into Le Brivido as well who is prominent in the Queen Anne market - wonder might they leave the way clear for him.

Just looking at the market for that race... the older milers this year really are shite.

Thanks
    Had an ew double on Sea of Class/Hazapour for the Oaks/Derby. I have double figures about Lah ti Dar for the fillies race so the Haggas filly is in as protection (looks the only realistic danger) and Hazapour is just overpriced at 16s in a juicy ew market.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Two selections two non runners! I'm trying to do better !

I've been looking at The Silver Bowl handicap at Haydock this Saturday. I might have found a blot on the handicap, in the shape of Soldiers Minute, but this depends on the reliability of a form line. Last September, Soldier's Minute was fourth in a listed race at Doncaster behind Tip Two Win.

After second placing to Saxon Warrior in the 2000 Guineas at Newmarket, Tip To Win is now rated 117, while Soldier's Minute current handicap mark is only 93. Soldiers Minute was actually beaten at odds-on first time out this season in a four runner race, but he must have needed the run.

A faster pace and bigger field will suit. One firm quote him at 20/1 at this current time. I may have a dabble at some point. I'm willing to chance the Tip Two Win formline.
    Last edited by Marb; 22nd May 2018 at 1:29 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marble View Post

I've been looking at The Silver Bowl handicap at Haydock this Saturday. I might have found a blot on the handicap, in the shape of Soldiers Minute, but this depends on the reliability of a form line. Last September, Soldier's Minute was fourth in a listed race at Doncaster behind Tip Two Win.

After second placing to Saxon Warrior in the 2000 Guineas at Newmarket, Tip To Win is now rated 117, while Soldier's Minute current handicap mark is only 93. Soldiers Minute was actually beaten at odds-on first time out this season in a four runner race, but he must have needed the run.

A faster pace and bigger field will suit. One firm quote him at 20/1 at this current time. I may have a dabble at some point. I'm willing to chance the Tip Two Win formline.
    This looks one for the declaration stage anoraks out there like me! Both Connor Beasely and David Probert booked to ride Soldier's Minute according to two different racing sites, (SP & RP).

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    He's withdrawn at the final decs, that 3/3 NR's so far on this thread from my good self.
    Last edited by Marb; 24th May 2018 at 12:16 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Outsider (24th May 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Does that mean you have lost your stake on all three?
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Nah. Just brainstorming thankfully Col no didn't back them was waiting for final declarations

Thanks
    In that race Highlight Reel has snuck in off the bottom weight. His last race was a handicap where I think a lot of good horses will come out and frank the form. He travelled all over them and must have traded very short in the run. The question is whether he really stays a mile as he looks all speed to me but at the prices and the weight he is running off I’m having a decent bet.

Thanks
    My ante-post book is hurting today, it's in mourning, it's pining for the Fjords. Lah Ti Dar at 4/1 and in doubles with Saxon Warrior (guineas) Barsanti, Poet's Word from yesterday. Was on for a very nice win - gutted.

You've got to get back on the saddle though. I also have Poet's Word in doubles with Rhododendron and Sioux Nation for the royal meeting and I have a couple of new ones - Mirage Dancer looks cert material at Goodwood tomorrow and I've tied him with the aforementioned Sioux Nation and Crystal Ocean who is too big for the Hardwice at 9/4 with 365

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SP Only View Post
    In that race Highlight Reel has snuck in off the bottom weight. His last race was a handicap where I think a lot of good horses will come out and frank the form. He travelled all over them and must have traded very short in the run. The question is whether he really stays a mile as he looks all speed to me but at the prices and the weight he is running off I’m having a decent bet.
    Key Player is the one I want be on in The Silver Bowl. Clearly on the up and any amount of pounds in front of the handicapper. Surely not a 20/1 chance. Good luck with yours though.
    Last edited by Marb; 25th May 2018 at 9:13 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    My ante-post book is hurting today, it's in mourning, it's pining for the Fjords. Lah Ti Dar at 4/1 and in doubles with Saxon Warrior (guineas) Barsanti, Poet's Word from yesterday. Was on for a very nice win - gutted.

You've got to get back on the saddle though. I also have Poet's Word in doubles with Rhododendron and Sioux Nation for the royal meeting and I have a couple of new ones - Mirage Dancer looks cert material at Goodwood tomorrow and I've tied him with the aforementioned Sioux Nation and Crystal Ocean who is too big for the Hardwice at 9/4 with 365
    Chin up, the season is young!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I notice Soldiers Minute is entered in The Royal Hunt Cup which is a hell of a step up. Who knows, if connections could get a confidence boosting win into him before the Royal Meeting then 33/1 might not be available on the day.
    Last edited by Marb; 25th May 2018 at 10:18 PM.

Thanks
    Nice win from Mirage Dancer who sets up nice doubles with Sioux Nation and Crystal Ocean.

I can't get my head around the St James Palace market. You've got Without Parole who this is a monumental step up for as favourite. Looked a group 2 animal tops the other day, Tip Two Win, who has Glory Awaits written all over him and in any event the 2000G form took a knock yesterday - Gustav Klimt is very limited. Olmedo won't run nor Masar and so Wootton who had nothing go right for him at Longchamp and who is on target for this is 16/1. It looks almost too big. He has form round a turn and indeed that Fountainbleu is working out really well. Should be 6s tops.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Euronymous For This Useful Post:

Outsider (28th May 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Bunbury Cup.

Mukalal. 40/1. A stab at a big priced horse, whose each way chance is much better than 40/1 though. Mukalal is trained by Marcus Tregoning.He has already beaten the Duke Of Cambridge second, Tribute Act .That horse is rated 106 now. Also, Sea Fox was third that day, but has finished third in The Victoria Cup this season. So the form is excellent. Mukalal had a wind operation over the winter and probably needed the run last time when finishing down the field on his first start this season. He could fare a lot better in a race like the Bunbury Cup. Mukalal is number 33 or 34 on the list, so needs a few to come out to get a run, but that is quite possible. See what happens in the next couple weeks. 40/1 ATM.
    Last edited by Marb; 2nd July 2018 at 8:17 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Outsider (4th July 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Bunbury Cup. Mukalal. 40/1. A stab at a big priced horse, whose each way chance is much better than 40/1 though! Mukalal is trained by Marcus Tregoning.He has already beaten the Duke Of Cambridge second, Tribute Act .That horse is rated 106 now. Also, Sea Fox was third that day, but has finished third in The Victoria Cup this season. So the form is excellent. Mukalal had a wind operation over the winter and probably needed the run last time when finishing down the field on his first start this season. He could fare a lot better in a race like the Bunbury Cup. Mukalal is number 33 or 34 on the list, so needs a few to come out to get a run, but that is quite possible. See what happens in the next couple weeks. 40/1 ATM.
    Mukalal has been entered in the Gigaset International at Ascot two weeks later as well.
    Last edited by Marb; 2nd July 2018 at 8:18 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Outsider (4th July 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Mukalal is trained by Marcus Tregoning. He has already beaten the Duke Of Cambridge second, Tribute Act .That horse is rated 106 now..
    He was giving Tribute Act nine pounds that day too. So time I started hoovering up the 40/1, and then hope for the best, in terms of making the cut.
    Last edited by Marb; 4th July 2018 at 3:35 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Outsider (4th July 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Mukalal showing up blue on oddschecker tonight, 40's into a general 25's. The timing of the move, a few hours before the 6 days declarations, is interesting.

Thanks
    Had a wee rant of Twitter yesterday:

"As usual the John Smith's next sat is a horror. 76 entered & the first 3yo is 38th in the list (r105). That horse would be no 8 if the BHA changed the entry rules. Wigmore Hall won the race as a 3yo in '10 off 101. That was the last time a 3yo got in.Please adapt
    @BHAPressOffice"

Naturally there are horses (3yos) in the race I want to back, but they won't get in. One of them, Zaaki, Is also entered in the 3yo 10f handicap at Newmarket on Friday. He's worth a go at 8s/9s. Ryan Moore has been booked. He ran an eye catching race for one so unexposed in the Hampton Court.
    Last edited by Euronymous; 9th July 2018 at 8:54 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Euronymous For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (9th July 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    It's a debate/argument that arises almost every year around the Ebor but I don't recall it being an issue for the Magnet Cup.

I'm for the status quo. Allowing entries by rating rather than weight would lead to far more dark horses getting into the race. There would be several 3yos rated Group horses at home confined to lesser races to preserve favourable marks while older horses are out trying to earn a mark high enough to get in.

3yos will have their chances as older horses to take in these big races. There's no shortage of valuable 3yo-only handicaps. Let them plunder some of them or, if you're patient enough, wait a year. I you think your horse is well handicapped as a 3yo off 105 and you can keep it at that mark for a year it should be all the better handicapped a year later when, in theory, it should have matured another half a stone or more. Plus, if you follow the likes of Timeform's wfa scale rather than the official one, you could argue that 3yos are already generously treated by the official scale. In the Magnet Cup it's 10lbs wfa, according to Timeform it should only be 9lbs.

Just as I think horses that need fast ground should be allowed their conditions when nature is dictating them, I think older horses on the brink of making the cut in a valuable race shouldn't have their chance to run denied by allowing horses set to carry less weight in ahead of them.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Im my opinion the change in policy was a good thing. There are already plenty of races confined to 3yos, and the fact they are still improving at that age gives them too much of an advantage in handicaps against older horses, most of whom have paid their dues and are entitled to a shot at a big prize.