Thread: Vinyls

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts

Vinyls

Anyone got any gen on what they're worth?

There's a shop in Glasgow which will buy them off me but I wondered if anyone had an idea of what I might get for them.

Most of them are in good to excellent condition, some better than that.

Some have Mrs O's maiden name and address on them and I was wondering if that would affect any value they might have.

Most of them are hers from the time before I slapped a bit of sense into her...

Albums

Artiste/group Title
    America History – America’s Greatest Hits WB (1975?)
    Blunstone, Colin Ennismore Epic (1972)
    Carpenters Now and Then AM (1973)
    Clear Light Clear Light Polydor/Elektra (1967)
    Cochran, Eddie The Eddie Cochran Singles Album United artists (1979)
    Absolutely pristine condition
    Dickson, Barbara All For A Song Epic (1982)
    Dylan, Bob Hard Rain CBS (1976)
    Eagles Their Greatest Hits (K53017) Asylum/Warner
    Eagles Eagles Asylum (1972)
    Eagles Hotel California Asylum/Long Run (1976) – includes poster
    ELO Discovery Jet (1979) (Poster not there)
    ELO A New World Record Jet (1976)
    ELO Out of the Blue Jet (1977) – includes poster and model kit
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer Pictures at an Exhibition Island (1971)
    Jackson, Michael Thriller Epic
    John, Elton Goodbye Yellow Brick Road DJM Records – double album
    John, Elton Greatest Hits DJM
    McCartney, Paul Give My Regards to Broad Street EMI / Parlophone (1984)
    Oldfield, Mike Tubular Bells Virgin (1973)
    Police Every Breath You Take (The Singles) AM (1986)
    Queen A Night at the Opera EMI/Trident (1975)
    Richie, Lionel Can’t Slow Down Motown (1983) – pristine
    Sayer, Leo Leo Sayer Chrysalis (1978)
    Sayer, Leo Silverbird Chrysalis (1973)
    Sedaka, Neil Let’s Go Steady Again RCA/Camden (1970)
    Smokie Greatest Hits EMI (1977?)
    Stevens, Cat Tea for the Tillerman Island (1970)
    The Three Degrees A Collection of their 20 Greatest hits Epic (1979)
    T-Rex Tanx EMI (1973)
    T-Rex The Slider EMI (1972)
    T-Rex Ride A White Swan EMI/MFP (1970?)
    T-Rex Electric Warrior Fly (1971) – outer sleeve repaired
    Ultravox The Collection Chrysalis
    Washington, Geno and the Ram Jam Band Sifters, Shifters, FingerClicking Mamas… Marble Arch (1966)
    Wood, Roy Boulders Harvest/EMI (1973)

Compilations

Title Label Notes
    22 Dynamic Hits K-Tel (1972)
    40 Fantastic Hits from the 50’s & 60’s Arcade Double album
    Formula 30 Decca (1983)
    Good Vibrations Ronco (1973)
    Jesus Christ Superstar Wind Mill (1972)
    K-Tel’s Music Express K-Tel
    Moods Tellydisc (1981) Double album – 36 songs
    Hollies, Roberta Flack, Joan Armatrading etc etc
    Saturday Night Fever – the original movie soundtrack RSO (1977?) One inner sleeve missing
    That’ll Be The Day Ronco (1973) ‘40 SMASH HITS based on the film’
    The Stud Ronco (1978) from the film soundtrack
    Top of the Pops (Vol 21) Hallmark (1971) (Not original artists)

Classical

Artiste / Composer Title
    Mozart Symphony no 40 & 41 London Philharmonic Orchestra, WD & HO Wills Master Series
    Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade Chicago Symphony Orchestra / RCA (1960)
    Strauss, The Golden Age of Readers Digest 3 records – pristine

Other

Artiste
    Connolly, Billy Cop Yer Whack for This Polydor (1974) Recorded Live at the Unicorn
    Connolly, Billy Solo Concert Transatlantic (1974) - double album,
    Green & White Brigade The Holy Ground of Glasgow Celtic Hallmark (1968) – sleeve note error notice
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    No, but I’ve just had the same conversation with my friend as I’m emptying the house. I have found early Elvis and an old copy of the Beatles white album complete with the photos etc so I’m relatively hopeful.

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to trudij For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (12th August 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    If the Beatles White Album has a low serial number eg A0000023 it's worth £10,000 ish

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've about 100 vinyls myself, collected in my rebellious (and arguably most create years) - 13-16!

I was scanning a site called Discogs just out of curiosity the other day: Apparently I own a few gems, (with about 10 vinyl's) worth up to £100 each - Which isn't too bad, as they cost £6 each when I bought them. The genre is from something called House & Garage:

I wouldn't sell them. I'm still getting the equipment together to record a mix recording, which I was never able to do in my teenage years.

Drone has already put my onto a good piece of software called Audacity, which cleans the sound a bit.

Spin Clean is also a good vinyl cleaning product.

So good luck DO, I'm not sure if Discogs do the type of vinyls you have, but you never know!
    Last edited by Marb; 12th August 2018 at 6:44 PM.

Thanks
    I sold masses of late '60s early '70s LPs a few years ago on Ebay

Before selling I'd suggest you consult Rare Record Price Guide, which is what I used

https://rarerecordpriceguide.com/

Of those on your list Clear Light, Tea For The Tillerman and Tubular Bells appeal as ones that might be worth a few bob, particularly if they're 'first pressings', which can be ascertained by an A- code engraved into the runoff area. Second pressings are B- and so on. Also, condition is everything: dog-eared sleeves and scratched vinyl reduces value considerably

I sold the quadraphonic 'for people with four ears' version of Tubular Bells released about a year after the original for circa £30. The best sale was an immaculate first pressing of Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon with all original inserts and poster, for circa £120

When young and even dafter I looked after my record collection rather better than I did myself

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Drone For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (12th August 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    T REX were on the Fly label with people like Roy Wood and you can still pick them up for as little as $20.

Some of those above are worth about $3 but the likes of Dylan's hard rain you could get around $20 Tubular Bells maybe $30 as there's about 20 million copies out there

One is interesting that's Neil Sedak'a got to be worth over $100 if in good condition
    Last edited by Tanlic; 13th August 2018 at 4:18 AM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    I have loads from 70s and early 80s, and some 60s singles - have tried several sites and all have said they are worth nothing I have looked after them and all are in good condition. I also have a copy of the limited Sticky Fingers - it's actually not mine - my sister thinks it's hers and our youngest brother has it; our youngest brother thinks it is his and that our sister has it. This has gone for years as it was in the family home which I inherited, but neither of them have thought of that option. I just sit and watch the discussions. One day I'll tell them, and watch them argue all over again it!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone View Post
    I sold masses of late '60s early '70s LPs a few years ago on Ebay

Before selling I'd suggest you consult Rare Record Price Guide, which is what I used

https://rarerecordpriceguide.com/

Of those on your list Clear Light, Tea For The Tillerman and Tubular Bells appeal as ones that might be worth a few bob, particularly if they're 'first pressings', which can be ascertained by an A- code engraved into the runoff area. Second pressings are B- and so on. Also, condition is everything: dog-eared sleeves and scratched vinyl reduces value considerably

I sold the quadraphonic 'for people with four ears' version of Tubular Bells released about a year after the original for circa £30. The best sale was an immaculate first pressing of Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon with all original inserts and poster, for circa £120

When young and even dafter I looked after my record collection rather better than I did myself
    Did we once have a conversation about stylus magnifiers...?

Thanks
    Don't recall that esoteric chat. I used an eyepiece to help identify the aforementioned runoff codes and sometimes had a glance at the stylus but wouldn't recognize a worn one from a new one

When buying a new stylus I'd take the old one in for the dealer to check first; and tended to keep old ones anyway, to play Singles

Thanks
    When did they start putting pressing codes in the run off area, Drone? I've a 1966 mono copy of Pet Sounds and can't see a single letter code.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Apologies, memory playing tricks

The 'pressing' codes aren't A- B- etc but -1 -2 etc after the catalog numbers. A, B are the sides (duh!)

It's a bit of a minefield anyway, see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_number

No idea when pressing codes were introduced, though as your copy of Pet Sounds is mono it seems pretty certain it's at least an early pressing. Early mono LPs by famous groups such as The Beach Boys, Beatles, Stones can be valuable; that website/book I mentioned in my first post has details

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Drone For This Useful Post:

archie (14th August 2018)

Thanks
    Thanks for that.

As far as I can see, the catalog number is T2458 and the engraving in the run off is T1 2458 - 1 (side 1) and T2 2458 - 1 (side 2) which seems to fit. It's on Capitol but distributed by EMI in the UK and the sleeve bears the legend, 'Made and Printed in Great Britain'.

Others from that period include Forever Changes by Love (1967). On Elektra (EKL 4013) but 'Manufactured in Great Britain by Polydor Records Limited,London'.
    Engravings, EKL 4013 A1 and EKL 4013 B1

Also, Joni Mitchell eponymous first album (1968). On Reprise (RSLP 6293) and, although the label says 'Distributed by Pye Records Ltd', the sleeve says, 'Manufactured and distributed in Canada by Warner Bros.-Seven Arts Records of Canada Ltd.' and 'Printed in Canada'.
    Engravings, RSLP6293A-1 *G and RSLP6293B-1 *G

Sounds like they're all early pressings but I'm not planning on getting rid so their value isn't really an issue.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Today I came across the record player from my wife's family's house. Nicely boxed (not the original box) and looks in good nick but the plug has been removed. Presumably it was put aside to make way for a cassette player! In a separate box I found the two speakers to go with the record player.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Others from that period include Forever Changes by Love (1967). On Elektra (EKL 4013) but 'Manufactured in Great Britain by Polydor Records Limited,London'.
    Engravings, EKL 4013 A1 and EKL 4013 B1
    If that has a plain gold/grey label with a large stylised E at the top it dates from release to 1969; if a plain red label with same E, from 1969-1970; if a 'butterfly' label, from 1971-1979

The plain label 'large E' Elektra releases are collectible, particularly those by The Doors. Didn't have any by them but did sell a second pressing A2 B2 red label 'Forever Changes' for about £25, so if yours is an earlier gold/grey label feel sure it's worth more, assuming good condition