Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racing Heartbreaks

Thanks

Racing Heartbreaks

Anyone cried or had a severe lump in their throat after a race or to do with a horse?

I ask because I recently watched the 1973 Grand National where Crisp was beaten on the line, and despite knowing the result and it being 45 years ago I still had a lump.

The other time would probably be when Many Clouds died after the race, or when Sprinter came round Un De Sceaux in the 2016 Champion Chase. Don't think Ive ever fully cried but certainly was emotional.

Got me wondering, anyone had similar experiences? Or am I just being a pansy.

Thanks
    Sprinter Sacre in 2016 for sure, to be on course that day was special, I saw several people cry. Pretty sure I misted up too!

Thanks
    Loads! Still cry when watch Red Rum winning in '77 no matter how many times they show it.
    When Persian Punch died, I was there that day , it was awful.
    A young horse called D'Nurse collapsed and died at Windsor after the line, I had watched multiple members of her family over a few years.
    When my mare won. Watching it back still makes me cry, and her son won his first hurdle race last Friday at second attempt: I was crying before he got to the last hurdle.

Thanks
    Kauto and the 2011 Betfair Chase. I was in the house alone and desperately wanted to share the moment with anyone, but I definitely welled up. And Sprinter in 2016, for sure.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Len Madeiros For This Useful Post:

Danny (12th December 2018)

Thanks
    Double J, if I ever re-watch Crisp's National I'll only watch it until he jumps the last. (And up to that point what a majestic display of jumping he'd treated us to).

Went to York to see Grundy after his KG. It broke my heart to see how much that Ascot race had taken out of him.
    Last edited by 2017diary; 12th December 2018 at 3:46 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 2017diary For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (12th December 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Given that I can cry at an episode of Tom & Jerry, I'm hopeless when it comes to real animals.

Curiously enough, though, not so much with racehorses. Not because they're different or anything like that, but more because I'm focused on the result or how the race worked out.

Crisp was hard to take but I had more money on him than I really should have as I thought he was a stone cold bonking certainty that day. It was gutting to witness that finish but there would have been other horses at that meeting that didn't walk away.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (12th December 2018)

Thanks
    It was amazing how Red Rum went from the villain of the piece to the nation's favourite horse within four years. You still can't believe that Crisp can be beaten from two out; but Red Rum actually gets a great ride from Fletcher.

Thanks
    I think it only took a year to forgive Red Rum. His second win cemented his position as a racing god.

It does still amaze me to think that Crisp didn't win but I'm sure Fletcher once said it wasn't really a great ride, it was more a case that the horse was going as fast as he could get him to go and it was more a question of Crisp finally weakening.

I probably get more affected by Neptune Collonges's win now. I was on Sunnyhill Boy and still find it hard to believe that NC got the verdict.

Start watching from 8m 30s and imagine you have a very large bet on Sunnyhill Boy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwabxLabssI
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 12th December 2018 at 4:05 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Len Madeiros (12th December 2018)

Thanks
    Persian Punch and One Man for me. Particularly One Man.

Thanks
    Starchitect was one of the toughest things I've ever seen in a horserace and that's only in small part because, having backed him every time he'd run, I remember thinking "finally I've been repaid"

Was heartbreaking seeing him break down like that.

On a more cheery note, Desert Orchid's Gold Cup and Victor Chandler both bring a lump to my throat.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wilsonl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I can't watch Desert Orchid's Gold Cup without remembering how poor old Ten Plus would have won by 10 lengths or more.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I think it only took a year to forgive Red Rum. His second win cemented his position as a racing god.

It does still amaze me to think that Crisp didn't win but I'm sure Fletcher once said it wasn't really a great ride, it was more a case that the horse was going as fast as he could get him to go and it was more a question of Crisp finally weakening.

I probably get more affected by Neptune Collonges's win now. I was on Sunnyhill Boy and still find it hard to believe that NC got the verdict.

Start watching from 8m 30s and imagine you have a very large bet on Sunnyhill Boy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwabxLabssI
    I was also on Sunnyhill Boy. Not because I fancied it, I was just getting into racing. The name reminded me of my Grandads favourite horse growing up, Sunny Bay. Watching that video then confirmed my first thoughts, jockey at fault. A truly horrendous ride up the run in.

In terms of Crisp, it was 20 years before I was born, but ending watching it on YouTube somehow. Peter O' Sullivan's commentary is what does it for me. Also had no idea he was giving Red Rum 23 pounds. A. Heroic performance. Red Rum on 10st 5 looking back is absolutely chucked in.

Thanks
    Yes. But I thought Crisp was chucked in too!

Considering Red Rum came back and defied top weight the next year emphasises the enormity of what Crisp was trying to do yet he was miles clear of everything else. Consider too that in his two subsequent defeats Red Rum was trying to give weight to a Gold Cup winner (L'Escargot).

Thanks
    Of the sadder variety Simonsig collapsing quite close to where I was stood was horrible to see.

Thanks
    Our Conor.

Blubbed like a wench.

Still never been able to bring myself to rewatch the race in full.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ivantheterrible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nichols Canyon injury at Leopardstown affected me the worst of all the many i have seen.

Danoli's Irish Gold Cup win 1997 along with Florida Pearl's win at 12 in the same race among the many wow moments I have witnessed.

Annie Power's last flight fall was one of the most surreal moments ever for me; the Cotswolds went from boisterous to silent in seconds: never have I witnessed time standing still before or since. Had Martians landed it would not have had the same effect.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    News of Vautour’s demise.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

Bonjers (12th December 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    The Day Moscow was beaten at Punchestown

The Day Moscow died

The Day Moscow shunned my advances at the national stud

Rest in peace champ
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

27. The Following User Says Thank You to granger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggers1972 View Post
    Of the sadder variety Simonsig collapsing quite close to where I was stood was horrible to see.
    We must have been pretty close together, dreadful viewing. Absolutely awful to see Nicky and the stable lass in tears walking out to see the poot fella.

SlimChance
    Istabraq pulling up.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to SlimChance For This Useful Post: