Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it all over between Nicholls and Sam T-D?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts

Is it all over between Nicholls and Sam T-D?

I'm wondering if there's a parting of the ways on the horizon.

In the past fortnight Nicholls has had 13 runners. T-D has only ridden four of them.

Yesterday Nicholls had four runners, two at Doncaster and one each at Cheltenham and on the Flat AW at Lingfield.

At Doncaster, T-D wasn't on Warriors Tale which was beaten in a photo. At Cheltenham, Frodon won by no less than seventeen lengths under Bryony Frost. Her claim wouldn't account for that margin. T-D rode three for his father yesterday, one in the race with Warriors Tale.

I'm just wondering if all is well between them?
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Its a possibility Des but Nicholls tbf to him probably didn't expect that Frodon was going to win by 17L before hand. He's always been a fan of using claimers in handicaps so I wouldn't read too much into it. Sean Bowen has been riding Warriors Tale regularly so I wouldn't read too much into that either.

Actually didn't you mention the other week that Nicholls did his nut when Andy Stewart suggested that Byrony was going to ride Saphir de rheu in the Gold Cup ? That tells me Nicholls knows claimers have their place but when it comes down to Graded company he wants his best man on top.
    Last edited by Danny; 28th January 2018 at 12:08 PM.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Actually didn't you mention the other week that Nicholls did his nut when Andy Stewart suggested that Byrony was going to ride Saphir de rheu in the Gold Cup ?
    I did indeed but I now wonder if that's the source of some disagreement!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I did indeed but I now wonder if that's the source of some disagreement!
    I wouldn't be overly surprised - when STD was injured some of the Nicholls horses seemed to go better for Cobden, Bowen and Frost than for him .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Bowen will end up where the most armoury is.

PFN for all his talent has a stable of handicappers
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    PFN for all his talent has a stable of handicappers
    Obviously lacks a Denman, Kauto Star but still plenty of talent including Politologue and Frodon looked to have stepped up a level yesterday.

Then there's Cliffs Of Dover for the Champion Hurdle and Saphir Du Rheu for the Gold Cup...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Obviously lacks a Denman, Kauto Star but still plenty of talent including Politologue and Frodon looked to have stepped up a level yesterday.

Then there's Cliffs Of Dover for the Champion Hurdle and Saphir Du Rheu for the Gold Cup...
    One of his owners paid 450k for him to get a top pointer from these shores a few months ago.

He should probably have better horses at his disposal given some of his owners
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    Well according to rumours rife today at our local point to point, PN is currently exploring other female riders.......and not necessarily for his horses.......!

I'll leave you to speculate!
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    Well according to rumours rife today at our local point to point, PN is currently exploring other female riders.......and not necessarily for his horses.......!

He is some boyo

Thanks
    Ann Stokell (NAP).
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If PN wants to get rid of STD I know a good clinic
    Last edited by Tanlic; 29th January 2018 at 2:34 AM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanlic For This Useful Post:

granger (29th January 2018)

Thanks
    I know he had the security of being able to ride for his dad, but Sam had the sense to not put all of his eggs in one basket when it came to PN, who has dropped so many jockeys over the years when they've been injured and have become surplus to requirements.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moehat View Post
    I know he had the security of being able to ride for his dad, but Sam had the sense to not put all of his eggs in one basket when it came to PN, who has dropped so many jockeys over the years when they've been injured and have become surplus to requirements.
    Apart from Ruby and AP who went to Pipe hasn't Nicholls sacked all his other stable jockeys ?

Thanks
    Don't think he's ever got over the loss of Ruby; his eyes used to glaze over when he mentioned his name! I'd love to know what happened to all the other jockeys, though, and whether they left by mutual agreement.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Graham Bradley had a line in his book about being jocked off See More Indians, calling Paul a top trainer but insecure when dealing with owners and their whims.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post

Nothing new there the way he changes his women, and I'm not talking about jockeys.
    STD not up to a top job, never was.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moehat View Post
    Don't think he's ever got over the loss of Ruby; his eyes used to glaze over when he mentioned his name! I'd love to know what happened to all the other jockeys, though, and whether they left by mutual agreement.
    Timmy Murphy was suddenly replaced by a young Joe Tizzard who was soon found not to be up to the job . PN used a number of jockeys until he finally did a deal with Walsh .

Jockeys are important - if you have a good horse would you want to send it to a stable where you did not rate the first jockey ? I would not be at all surprised if the decline in the quality of the horses at Ditcheat was to do with Walsh's departure. Consider the fact that when Howard Johnson was banned the Wylies split their horses between Nicholls and Mullins - when Walsh went the Wylie horses followed shortly after . I always thought that was tough on PN considering the extraordinary job he did with Tidal Bay in his twilight years .

The same applies to the Pipes - losing AP was a disaster for them compounded by making Tom Scudamore their No 1 .

Thanks
    Was surprised Nicholls didn't go for Fehily when he signed Sam. Suspect he regrets not doing that now.

Thanks
    I thought Fehily did work for him at one time?

Thanks
    As far as I know Fehily had a retainer to ride the Giles/Sullivan Horses (Zarkandar, S Conti etc) but never actually worked for PFN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk