Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Bumper Horses

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts

The Bumper Horses

Latest ratings from Timeform in the build up to the three Festivals

Attachment 1638

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

edgt (8th January 2018), Maruco (10th January 2018), NewApproach (8th January 2018)

Thanks
    There's been plenty of talk about Good Boy Bobby's win at Chepstow on Saturday. Even though he was wearing a hood (the horse, not the jockey), Sam Twister had a job to hold onto him until the straight and it took ages to pull him up afterwards. The horse was so much better than the others that he wasn't in a race at all even though he was givinng them all at least 7 lbs.

To me it's a good thing with the Champion Bumper in mind that a horse has been through a battle and knows how to race as opposed to leading out a procession. His debut win was in a much tighter race, but he came up the stands rail on his own that day while the others were out in the middle of the track, although it's fair to point out he stretched on in the final furlong when asked. There's no doubt he is a talented horse but I'd like to see him have another run before taking on Cheltenham.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nick Gifford's JP horse looked full of potential at Ascot. He'd be the one I'd be inclined to row-in with, if forced to have a bet today.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    115 seems quite a low rating for a top-rated horse.

Does anyone know what the ratings for previous festival bumper winners were?
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    As a point of reference, Timeform (Chasers & Hurdlers) rarely have their top-rated higher than mid-120’s, DO.

Bear in mind the higher marks will likely not be achieved until the best meet the best at the Spring Festivals. Fayonagh was on 118 after last season, along with Paloma Blue. Highest-rated Bumper horse in last 25 years is Cousin Vinny (134).

SlimChance, March 2018

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

edgt (8th January 2018)

Thanks
    Massive fan of Gallahers Cross. Don't think he'll get a run at Cheltenham though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    As a point of reference, Timeform (Chasers & Hurdlers) rarely have their top-rated higher than mid-120’s, DO.

Bear in mind the higher marks will likely not be achieved until the best meet the best at the Spring Festivals. Fayonagh was on 118 after last season, along with Paloma Blue. Highest-rated Bumper horse in last 25 years is Cousin Vinny (134).
    What mark was Dunguib given, Grass?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    131, Fonz.

Since 2000:

Quadco - 129
    The Bajan Bandit - 128
    Pizzaro/Rhinestone Cowboy - 123
    Rhinestone Cowboy - 123
    Secret Ploy - 122
    Karanja - 128
    Leading Run - 123
    Theatrical Moment - 124
    Cousin Vinny - 134
    Dunguib - 131
    Cue Card - 132
    Cheltenian - 128
    Don Cossack - 128
    Briar Hill - 130
    Shaneshill - 124
    Bellshill - 126
    Ballyandy/Blow By Blow - 123
    Fayonagh/Paloma Blue - 118
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 8th January 2018 at 8:23 PM.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Hollowgraphic here for me. Early Doors & Rapid Escape have advertised his Punchestown Goffs Landrover 2nd very well. Rapid Escape won 3 bumpers on the trot, the last 2 penalised.

Hollowgraphic then destroyed Dunvegan who won tidily last weekend himself. Mullins making all the right noises about him too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post

Thanks, GH. That's the kind of reference point I was looking for.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    I like the Nick Gifford horse too.

Thanks
    The programme for the new Dublin festival includes two 75k bumpers, one for colts and geldings and the other for mares. Each will be worth roughly the same to the winner as last year's Champion Bumper, which will surely change the landscape. It would be nice to see some entries from England.

In the longer run a bonus for the horse than can win a Spring triple crown at Leopardstown, Cheltenham and Punchestown might be interesting.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    3 bumpers like that would possibly bury a horse

Gigi will probably go all out for the Dublin Festival version seeing as theirs wont be travelling

Rapid Escape seems the best of their lot on what i've seen
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    The programme for the new Dublin festival includes two 75k bumpers, one for colts and geldings and the other for mares. Each will be worth roughly the same to the winner as last year's Champion Bumper, which will surely change the landscape. It would be nice to see some entries from England.

In the longer run a bonus for the horse than can win a Spring triple crown at Leopardstown, Cheltenham and Punchestown might be interesting.
    In my opinion this is all wrong and not what our sport of NH racing is about. I thought the game was about jumping and in my view bumpers served the purpose of introducing young horses usually store ones to racing each other and the different winter ground conditions without the added complication of obstacles. There is already 3 big NH flat races 4 if you include Aintree. I would much rather see the prize money invested in hurdle and chase races and in my view these 75k flat races are to felicitate the high end owners and breeders

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Given the price of some of these pointers and sales horses, I think it's reasonable that anyone running one in a bumper gets some kind of reward

They are ultimately a nursery for future championship type horses which is what will keep the sport going
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Didtheyleaveuoutto goes straight to Cheltenham.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrunner View Post
    In my opinion this is all wrong and not what our sport of NH racing is about. I thought the game was about jumping and in my view bumpers served the purpose of introducing young horses usually store ones to racing each other and the different winter ground conditions without the added complication of obstacles. There is already 3 big NH flat races 4 if you include Aintree. I would much rather see the prize money invested in hurdle and chase races and in my view these 75k flat races are to felicitate the high end owners and breeders
    My dream horse to own would be able to mix it in the Cup races on the flat and Graded races over jumps.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    My dream horse to own would be able to mix it in the Cup races on the flat and Graded races over jumps.
    Send it to Ballydoyle and you'd get a bonus July Cup.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Can I have a Melbourne Cup instead?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    That'd be Piltown, so.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."