Thread: Blair To Hospital

Thanks
    Blair to undergo heart treatment

Blair will not serve fourth term
    Tony Blair is to be admitted to hospital on Friday for a procedure to correct a heart problem.
    The prime minister will be fitted with a device to steady an irregular heartbeat, which has returned in the past two months.

In a interview with the BBC, Mr Blair said he still intended to serve a full third term in office if elected.

But he told BBC political editor Andrew Marr he had no intention of serving a fourth term.

Mr Blair will undergo the non-surgical procedure under local anaesthetic.

His cardiologist says patients usually spend the night in hospital and are back at work within two to three days.

Mr Blair said: "I think I can still make a real contribution to this country.

"I think it is unusual but I think the political process and the public in particular are mature enough to accept that it's a sensible thing to declare your intention to fight the third term, to declare that you're going to stand a full term and you're not suddenly going to give up a few months or year or so into the parliament and also then to make it clear that you're not so daft as to think that you should be prime minister for ever and ever."

He went on: "The decision as to who is the prime minister of the country is the decision of the British people - they're the boss...

"But if I am elected I would serve a full third term. I do not want to serve a fourth term.

"I don't think the British people would want a prime minister to go on that long but I think it's sensible to make plain my intention now."

Asked whether his intention to stay on as PM was in some way unfair to Gordon Brown, Mr Blair said: "I have huge respect for Gordon ... There's lots of people who want to do the job and I think he's very capable of doing it, don't misunderstand me at all.

"I don't think it rules Gordon out in any shape or form at all he'd be younger than many prime ministers have been if he took over at the end of a third term."

On his imminent treatment Mr Blair said: "It's not particularly alarming but it's just something you should get fixed and so it's what they call a routine procedure that'll be done tomorrow.

"I've actually had it for the last couple of months and it's obviously not impeded me doing my work and feeling fine but it's as well to get it done.

"It fixes it which is the main thing"

Mr Blair first exhibited symptoms of an irregular heartbeat in October 2003, which was treated with a different procedure - a cardioversion.

Thanks
    Shame the slimy git doesn't give up now.....
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Ardross
    Agreed that he should give up now . Gordon Brown would give the Tories a pasting from which they might never recover - recent polls suggest that he would do much better than Blair . It is a funny old world

Thanks
    On a more general note. I think 2 terms is more than enough for any country's leader to serve. Any more has a tendency to breed arrogance and complacency within the whole regime.

Ardross
    Then again I wish Clinton had been allowed to serve a third !

Thanks
    Blair is great and it will be difficult for you to find a better one at the moment.

about clinton
    I would like to have seen what he would have done after the 11-S.

Thanks
    You will get the odd disappointment by limiting them to two terms, but overall I think it is the safer option.

I suppose it is anti democratic, as the electorate should have the opportunity to decide whether someone is worthy of a third term. Generally speaking, the voting public are buffoons and make extraordinarily bad decisions on many occasions(and I include myself in that, having voted for Brian Lenihan over Mary Robinson for president, Roger Garland of the Green Party a few elections back and having been quite vocal in my support of Michael McDowell in the last election), so a few guidelines built into the system can always help.

Thanks
    about clinton
    I would like to have seen what he would have done after the 11-S.
    So would a lot of people. Pity he didn't have the chance. Maybe, had he been in power, he still wouldn't have had to deal with it.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Oct 1 2004, 09:37 AM
    Shame the slimy git doesn't give up now.....
    I only posted it. No need to pick on me

:P