Thread: What do bookmaker hate Arbers to the point of obsession?

Thanks

What do bookmaker hate Arbers to the point of obsession?

Why do bookmakers care what people might do with their winnings when laying prices they themselves set? http://www.starsportsbet.co.uk/simon...n-with-arbers/

Thanks
    Good read Simon and questions worth asking in my view although doubt we'll ever get an answer. A point about bookies hating early market bets, why then open the market early ? I suppose at whatever point they open there would always be shrewder punters than their odds compilers waiting to pounce. None of it really makes sense to me I can to some degree understand a bookie knocking back a large bet in markets which aren't going to attract much money but when someone like myself ( fairly useless punter anyway ) gets restricted to £4 e/w on the Bet Victor Gold Cup by a certain firm 10 minutes before the off then I'm left wondering as to why.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I'm afraid the answer has nothing to do with any of the questions posed.

As far as bookmakers are concerned an arber is basically a freeloader and all the world hates a freeloader.

I say good luck to the arbers. I have arbed in the past but not in the way meant. Surely anyone who takes what they believe is a more than fair price for their horse then lays it off when it shortens up is just a skilled punter?

I suspect what the bookies really hate is people who aren't using their own skill and/or judgment; rather, they're using a computer programme - created by someone else - to skim a little profit without doing any work.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    I think that was covered somewhat in Simon's interview with Freddie Williams daughter that he just hated the fact he was taking risks and other people were making money off the back of that but taking none themselves. Understandable from a personal perspective but when since do large businesses have emotions ?

I'm personally not an arber I'm an old school gambler but I've learned that if you spot something, then in general others have spotted it and you have to be pretty quick off the mark to get a decent price. That's not cheating as I see it I'm just a guesser trying to make a decent fist of it whilst enjoying the battle at the same time.
    Last edited by Danny; 26th January 2018 at 11:37 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (27th January 2018)

SlimChance
    Simon, You're just not qualified on betting to write pieces like this. You're an idealistic fanboy but you have'nt a clue about betting.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimChance View Post
    Simon, You're just not qualified on betting to write pieces like this. You're an idealistic fanboy but you have'nt a clue about betting.
    Surely some sort of statement like that should be followed by a moment of enlightenment as to why ? Any particular points that make you draw that conclusion Slim ?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well, Slim, Simon has been standing in the ring for long enough to have picked up a thing or two.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Bookmaker dislike for arbers stems from their belief that the only people that should make a profit is them.

I'm predominately a straight forward win backer but to a lesser extent I’ll lay runners, trade out to green on price movements and on very rare occasions arb.

Quite simply if a bookmaker has created a book as per their profession and they’re willing to take a bet from me and as such they’re maintaining their profit margin on their book, then anything else I’m doing should be none of their concern.