Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Festival forum Meetup?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts

Festival forum Meetup?

Couldn't find a thread?
    Is there one planned? Which day are you going? I shall be there on Friday as a change from my usual Tuesday attendance.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Presentation of Tjukurrpa trophy to Tout Seul at 12.30 Tuesday outside Mandarin Bar or thereabouts.
    I have no Club ticket thanks to Perpetual but hope to butter up the attendant on duty for the occasion.
    Usually Istabraq bar upstairs off Centaur after racing as it is quiet and some comfy chairs along hallway outside it .
    Beehive Bar Montpelier to hear Brownie Guinan's Hits Of Cheltenham past , Grey's collection of Tin Pan Alley melodies and whatever you're having yourself.
    A nice BYO, The Brew and Bake 217 Bath Road, , where we had a wonderful evening last year.
    had the place to ourselves though it closes at 9 pm. Menu just pizza and fries but really nice.
    also a good place for breakfast.
    Last edited by edgt; 4th March 2018 at 11:50 PM.

Thanks
    I might be there Friday - I’ve had a change in circumstances which means I can’t really go the two I was planning, but I’ve still got my Friday ticket/Car park at the moment...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Thanks
    If anyone sees two people wearing Newcastle United hats on the Tuesday it'll be us! Always watch from the screen by the paddock. I'm the one either holding my head in my hands or screaming a lot.....

Thanks
    I'm there all week

Thanks
    Yes me too. In The Plough at Prestbury around 10.30 on Tuesday and Wednesday, and most likely splitting time between the new Members Stand and the Guinness Village for racing and watching from the Members Stand steps. Thursday and Friday straight in to the course when it opens as we're booked in to the Final Flight Marquee and we'll want to grab a table. We'll watch the racing from the stands on the front of the Guinness Village both days.

Happy to meet up during the week. If anyone is around on Tuesday and Wednesday The Plough for breakfast is good, and you'll get the dubious benefit of meeting Frontrunner, Zongalero, Grassy, Digger, and maybe a few more from here. I'll aim to catch up with Eddie and Grey at some point on course, and hopefully Roddy will be on his usual perch in the Manadarin and perhaps after racing at the Plough.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    If by this time next year I'm not settled in Spain I'll do what I can to be there.

Have loadsa fun you guys.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    If by this time next year I'm not settled in Spain I'll do what I can to be there.

Have loadsa fun you guys.
    Will that be game over for you in terms of betting DO ? Don't they have different betting laws preventing you from using the firms ? I know they have their own sort of bookies but I shouldn't imagine the terms are as fair.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    .....hopefully Roddy will be on his usual perch in the Manadarin and perhaps after racing at the Plough.
    Roddy's "usual perch" is no more........the Mandarin has been totally reconfigured, as part of the changes introduced when the new members stand was built.

There should really be some sort of plaque in there, at the spot where he used to hoover treble-gins like the asteroid was due to hit!
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

edgt (5th March 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Roddy's "usual perch" is no more........the Mandarin has been totally reconfigured, as part of the changes introduced when the new members stand was built.

There should really be some sort of plaque in there, at the spot where he used to hoover treble-gins like the asteroid was due to hit!
    Yes fair point Grassy. He has to join the scrum for a table like the rest of us now. Actually that's not true. 'Big Phil' will almost certainly commandeer one on his behalf if none were available!

The table might change but the 'gin-hoovering' certainly hasn't!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Will that be game over for you in terms of betting DO ? Don't they have different betting laws preventing you from using the firms ? I know they have their own sort of bookies but I shouldn't imagine the terms are as fair.
    Almost certainly the end of studying/punting for me when I make the move.

I always said I'd pack it in one day. I tend to set myself challenges then move on once I've met them. Making money consistently from my hobby of studying the form was one. I've proved to myself over the the last umpteen years I can do it and I really only keep doing it to keep my mind occupied.

I built (or had built) this ridiculously big house I live in. It's time to sell up and downsize. I won't agonise over the sale the way I've done over moving house in the past. It was a means to an end (securing my financial future).

Moving to Spain was always part of the retirement plan, including retiring from punting. Making the most of the more outdoor way of life and healthier living is the goal for when that time comes. I'll maybe spend more time golfing.

Perspective, and all that...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Danny (5th March 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    DO, if you don't mind me asking..........re your move to Spain, do you have any concerns about Brexit and the status of UK nationals living in other EU countries, after this country slits its own throat next March?

I am asking for selfish reasons, as it was always my longer-term plan to move (either to France or Italy), but I reckon it's probably scuppered because if Brexit. Unfortunately, bringing the plan forward is not really an option, due to having a nipper still in school for another 2-3 years.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 5th March 2018 at 2:32 PM.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Almost certainly the end of studying/punting for me when I make the move.

I always said I'd pack it in one day. I tend to set myself challenges then move on once I've met them. Making money consistently from my hobby of studying the form was one. I've proved to myself over the the last umpteen years I can do it and I really only keep doing it to keep my mind occupied.

I built (or had built) this ridiculously big house I live in. It's time to sell up and downsize. I won't agonise over the sale the way I've done over moving house in the past. It was a means to an end (securing my financial future).

Moving to Spain was always part of the retirement plan, including retiring from punting. Making the most of the more outdoor way of life and healthier living is the goal for when that time comes. I'll maybe spend more time golfing.

Perspective, and all that...
    Sounds like a great plan and I'm sure that many would follow saying your input would be a great loss to any forum. Fully understand though. Tbh If I wasn't working the night shifts and wasn't left to my own devices on week days whilst the Mrs is working I'd probably have very little interest in punting myself. Similar to you I just do it to keep the cogs turning seen as I have a mind numbing job that requires zero brain power and as they say if you don't use it you lose it. I think I'd always be a lover of horse racing though and in a strange way when I start to cease the betting activity then I'd probably start going racing a bit more just for the days out and let the Mrs pick the bets on whatever name she likes, it's probably 1.01 that she'd outperform me anyway .
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    DO, if you don't mind me asking..........re your move to Spain, do you have any concerns about Brexit and the status of UK nationals living in other EU countries, after this country slits its own throat next March?

I am asking for selfish reasons, as it was always my longer-term plan to move (either to France or Italy), but I reckon it's probably scuppered because if Brexit. Unfortunately, bringing the plan forward is not really an option, due to having a nipper still in school for another 2-3 years.
    Indeed, GH.

While it was always the plan, Brexit kinda threw that up in the air for a wee while and I don't mind I was fizzing mad at the result of the referendum.

Both Mrs O and I qualify for Irish citizenship. She has already submitted her claim for it to be recognised officially. I was holding back to see if there were any problems with the application as we understood that you don't get your money back if you make a mistake (it's something stupid like £350 to apply) but the word is that there seem to be no problems so I plan to get on with that business immediately after the festival. We plan to move there as Irish citizens, using Irish passports, thereby (hopefully) any Brexit issues won't apply to us (but we don't know that for sure). I'm pretty sure, though, that we need to register as UK citizens if we are to have our pensions paid into a bank over there.

Mrs O is more optimistic that any Brexit deal/no deal would not affect us too badly even as UK citizens. It has been suggested to me from a totally separate source that Spain would still be more than willing to welcome us because ex-pats are big for Spain's economy.

Our daughter is coming up for 31 now, lives in a flat in town and has a good job but still preoccupies Mrs O's mind so it's a worry that never goes away but one of school age is another issue, obviously.

So, bottom line, I suppose, is fvck Brexit.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Danny (5th March 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Delighted for you.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks

For some considerable time a move back to Australia has been on the agenda as I still have a business interest over there, and I was planning on going as soon as summer this year. However things over here have changed and I'll now be tied in to the UK for the next three years. It's all very fresh and kicked off late last year, so the revised plan is to sell up in both the UK and Australia and move to the South of France inside four years.

I'll worry about Brexit when it's washed its way through and I can get my head around all of the implications, but if I go I have zero intention of giving up racing in any way when I get down there. I would expect to be in the UK frequently anyway. I reckon you wouldn't be able to help yourself either Maurice. You'll still have the betting accounts and through a VPN you'll still be able to access them.

Anyhow, for one Talking Horses contributor my current plans are very bad, given almost certainly he'll be thinking the value of his property will be cut in half!
    Last edited by Maruco; 5th March 2018 at 3:31 PM.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Maruco;697506]For some considerable time a move back to Australia has been on the agenda as I still have a business interest over there, and I was planning on going as soon as summer this year. However things over here have changed and I'll now be tied in to the UK for the next three years. It's all very fresh and kicked off late last year, so the revised plan is to sell up in both the UK and Australia and move to the South of France inside four years.

[QUOTE=Grasshopper;697503]I am asking for selfish reasons, as it was always my longer-term plan to move (either to France or Italy)

This has become the most worrying thread I have ever read on any horse forum.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    I reckon you wouldn't be able to help yourself either Maurice. You'll still have the betting accounts and through a VPN you'll still be able to access them.
    Unlikely really, Maruco. Accessing betting accounts will be irrelevant. I won't be able to study the form.

As you know, I much prefer using hard copy form which I'm unlikely to get over there.

I experimented with RI for a while a few years back. While I liked the facility for working out ratings quickly, it didn't satisfy my need to go back and see entire meetings at a glance, nor did the programming lend itself to my preferred methods of studying, plus I attribute eye strain due to spending too much time at a computer as the origin of my distorted vision. Even now I find I have to limit spells at the laptop to about 30/40 mins max before taking a break. So I accepted some time back that my future as far as studying was limited and I've long since come to terms with letting go completely.

Thanks
    So the forum meet-up will be happening somewhere on the Franco-Spanish border then?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrunner View Post
    This has become the most worrying thread I have ever read on any horse forum.

SlimChance, March 2018