Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road to the Grand National 2018

Thanks
    Was at Newbury on Sat, and didn't see anything to put me off backing Carole's Destrier again. Once again, just jumped every fence very economically and was in process of trying to gain on the leading group when hampered by the faller 2 out. Will just keep backing e.w. from next week until hopefully runs this year.
    You should not confuse your career with your life.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Westerner Point tackles the Becher Chase Saturday; backed in from 33 to 16 with Ladbrokes.
    As game a horse as ever looked through a bridle owned and trained by a sporting bunch of guys near me; nobody will be cheering louder for him Saturday than me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to edgt For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (7th December 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    I haven't finalised my figures for the race but I'm wondering if The Last Samuri has improved again coming into this season.

The majority of decent chasers tend to post hurdles figures 10-20lbs below their chase form when they revert to the smaller obstacles. On his recent reappearance, TLS posted a lifetime high - by a long way - over hurdles. Now, it should be emphasised that he last ran over hurdles some years ago and he made a lot of progress over fences after that, but even so I would not have expected him to be up to running within 5lbs or so of his chase mark first time up over hurdles.

I can see me having at least a saver on him on Saturday and if he were to win I think he'd merit an entry in the Gold Cup. However, if the National is the be-all-and-end-all for him I imagine they'll be trying to get his mark down.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Word round these parts is the Festival Cross Country is the objective, that's not to be saying he won't try for the GN as well

Just checked, there's a four week gap between the Festival and the GN meeting in 2018 so not an arduous task as it might be.
    Last edited by Diamond Geezer; 8th December 2017 at 9:48 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Word round these parts is the Festival Cross Country is the objective, that's not to be saying he won't try for the GN as well

Just checked, there's a four week gap between the Festival and the GN meeting in 2018 so not an arduous task as it might be.
    Is that for The Last Samuri, DG?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by edgt View Post
    Westerner Point tackles the Becher Chase Saturday; backed in from 33 to 16 with Ladbrokes.
    As game a horse as ever looked through a bridle owned and trained by a sporting bunch of guys near me; nobody will be cheering louder for him Saturday than me.
    They fancy him big time I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Is that for The Last Samuri, DG?
    Yes

Thanks
    He might just be a bit of a good thing there. I have him some way better than Cause Of Causes. It wouldn't affect his handicap for the National either. TVM.

Thanks
    Save your money re Un Temps Pour Tout, he’s having the season off according to Pipe in today’s RP;

“It’s a shame but we’ve taken the decision to give him the rest of the season off and bring him back fresh in the autumn”
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Balls

Thanks
    @!"£$%^&*@@##$&!!!!!!!

It actually contradicts what was said earlier (in the stable tour) that he was being saved for a spring campaign as he didn't come to form until then. It doesn't then make sense for him to be set for an autumn campaign, unless that campaign is to get him down 10lbs.

I also presume it means he isn't working at all well so best they look after him.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 8th January 2018 at 12:10 PM.

SlimChance

Cross Country - Grand National is a pretty standard route.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    @!"£$%^&*@@##$&!!!!!!!

It actually contradicts what was said earlier (in the stable tour) that he was being saved for a spring campaign as he didn't come to form until then. It doesn't then make sense for him to be set for an autumn campaign, unless that campaign is to get him down 10lbs.

I also presume it means he isn't working at all well so best they look after him.
    The brother has been on the phone. He read the article in full today (I might nip down the road and check it myself) and says the Ultima took a lot out of UTPT. I'm not surprised. I've said more than once it was a savage race run in a sensational time.

The brother reminded me the yard put Comply Or Die away for a couple of years before his National win and he went close the next season off a much higher weight. He thinks that's what they're doing.

Thanks
    Do you have a mark down for Gold Present? Is he to be handicapped to the max for this?

Had him down for National at beginning of the year, but after a Couple of good wins not sure he'd be well in with the handicappers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Double J View Post
    Do you have a mark down for Gold Present? Is he to be handicapped to the max for this?

Had him down for National at beginning of the year, but after a Couple of good wins not sure he'd be well in with the handicappers.
    Currently rated 155

Thanks
    Currently rated 155
    Think that's 6 pound in on Blacklion, who I'm sure is 161. Won't be far off top weight then, and my original fear was staying the trip. Think if he got a run in the national trial at Haddock it may tell us more.

Thanks
    GP went up to 155 for his win the other week. I don't have any ratings noted next to the race so haven't checked it out but it's looking around somewhere in the mid-low 160s. He's probably improving too. I think I might have backed him in the Topham (need to check) last season so he'll probably be on my radar but I just wonder if he'll be well enough handicapped without that improvement.

I think a lot will depend on the CoC, unfortunately. If he pursues his misguided policy of producing artificially soft ground he'll kill the chances of half the field and will make it more difficult for those carrying the kind of weight GP will end up with.

I much prefer sleepers and big improvers lower down the handicap. I also prefer older horses in softer ground.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    WPM when interviewed yesterday mentioned that Total Recall is possibly missing the Thyestes now and not chasing again until after GN weights are out.
    Owner said the horse was still well handicapped according to WP so that may be of interest.
    Possibly Bobbyjo followed by Gold Cup before Aintree or might take the Hedgehunter route and go GC in 2019.
    Last edited by edgt; 8th January 2018 at 7:33 PM.

Thanks
    I’d be interested in Total Recall for sure off his current mark but he’s by Westerner and his form to date fits in with his progeny liking cut. Aintree can ride pretty quick, and it’s late this year (14th) so I’d be wary of an ante post involvement but if it turned up soft on the day he’d be a serious, leading fancy.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post
    I’d be interested in Total Recall for sure off his current mark but he’s by Westerner and his form to date fits in with his progeny liking cut. Aintree can ride pretty quick, and it’s late this year (14th) so I’d be wary of an ante post involvement but if it turned up soft on the day he’d be a serious, leading fancy.
    Might be misunderstood here, but I'm sure the GN course has to run soft now due to safety issues for the horses. Someone more educated may know different.