Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road To The 2018 Champion Chase

Thanks
    I backed him for the GC and would fear him in the Ryanair but don't really think he will win a CC.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yorkhill definitely has a high cruising speed, which is a great asset when competing in 2m4f+ races but over 2 miles in a top class QMCC I doubt if he'd be taking many off their feet.

No doubt in my mind the Ryanair is tailor made for him and taking on Top Notch again must be on the cards.....personally I hope not as I have both UDS and Top Notch in accies

It's fine saying UDS's owner might not be happy but does anyone think GW gives a ****? I doubt if GW would be very happy if he was told he was taking on Altior instead of Top Notch...not even WPM can talk himself round that one.

On Sat we have the Clarence House and UDS looks certain to take it on paper again.

Nicky Henderson has entered Brain Power who was made much too much use of in the Henry VIII and could give UDS something to think about if he settles better

Much will depend on the ground and if it keeps pissin down in Sunny England I doubt he'll turn up. but if it does it will be interesting to see how he fairs against the old brigade if nothing else

I'm really surprise Alan King hasn't been asked to send Sceau Royal for this to try and grab some gravy if Footpad is so superior

UDS aside 4 or the last 5 winner went on to win the Champion Chase and if UDS wins this for the 3rd year I could see him going Champion Chase

If Douvan and Altior don't make it, it would certainly be WPM 's best option
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Seems like WPM has taken the hint and is talking to the Media more than ever.

He was now confessed Douvan is back cantering ...vever said since when but they say he's a bit peeved that he ever got 1000 for the CC
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    The more you hear, the less you know
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Willie's comments today suggest it's Yorkhill's performance that will determine which race he's aimed at but I reckon him and Wylie will wait to the last minute and pick the race with the weakest opposition.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I see that is up on the RP website.....really it's not rocket science and he's telling us what we can easily work out for ourselves.

Don't need your help you trilby wearing pointed nose leprechaun?
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Rather baffled by this gamble on Brain Power weather forecast suggests plenty of rain for Ascot and Un de Sceaux is a beast in the mud .

Thanks
    I miss the days when the Clarence House was a limited handicap - tended to be a rather more interesting race rather than just a valuable Cheltenham prep .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardross View Post
    Rather baffled by this gamble on Brain Power weather forecast suggests plenty of rain for Ascot and Un de Sceaux is a beast in the mud .
    I do not get it either, but heard Tom Segal is keen which is the likely reason for the price cuts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Perpetual View Post
    I do not get it either, but heard Tom Segal is keen which is the likely reason for the price cuts
    Segal on the RP Postcast Monday was very keen on brainpower, but was also equally as confident that the ground wouldn't be too bad. (Lives nearby and suggested minimal rain was due this week).

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Handful View Post
    Segal on the RP Postcast Monday was very keen on brainpower, but was also equally as confident that the ground wouldn't be too bad. (Lives nearby and suggested minimal rain was due this week).

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Maybe but still soft on last reports .

Thanks
    The JP McManus team concede it is a “big ask” but they aren’t ruling out Great Field’s chances of making it to Cheltenham in March and an attempt to fill in a rare festival blank for the legendary owner in the Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase.McManus has seen his famous colours first past the post in practically every festival race over the years and all the major championship events bar the two-mile crown.
    Great Field made a major impression during his novice campaign, winning his four starts over fences by an aggregate of almost 60 lengths, although he hasn’t been seen in action this season.
    However with uncertainty over many of the leading Champion Chase players like Douvan and Yorkhill, and with the short-priced favourite, Altior, also still to run this term, the Willie Mullins-trained Grade One winner remains as short as 7-1 for the big race with Powers.
    Great Field’s flamboyant front-running style captured a lot of attention as a novice in a campaign that culminated in an impressive top-flight success at the Punchestown festival.
    “He had a setback but is coming along nicely and going the right way. We’re a little bit short of time but we’re getting there,” said McManus’s racing manager Frank Berry on Monday. “It’s a big ask to come back that quick. But he’s there in the race and we’ll see.”
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

13. The Following User Says Thank You to granger For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (23rd January 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would love to see the mentalist make the Festival.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    2m chasers are a special breed and got me hooked on racing

We have had some brilliant 2m horses post the Moscow era but not too many vintage clashes - some of this is at the fault of race programming, some injuries and some because we just havent had 2 or 3 greats at once

The last few Arkles have been wishwashy with more good horses going to the intermediate race

The thoughts of Altior, Yorkhill and Great Field is something that I think can relight the 2m division

I'd settle for any 2 of the 3

Thanks
    Patrick Mullins certainly likes a soundbyte.

Thanks
    He’d make a good politician. A lot of words come out without actually saying anything. Why are they being so secretive about the cause for Douvan’s setback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    it was stress fracture from what Robbie Mcnamara said on last FFP.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Stress fracture was the issue in the Champion Chase. His recent 'setback' isn't anything to do with that, apparently.

Mullins camp is not being secretive, I don't think - or at least, not overtly so. They genuinely can't explain what went wrong with his work before Xmas, as no physical reason for it has come to light.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Grass, can you be “overtly” “secretive”?��
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Probably not, Col bach!

SlimChance, March 2018