Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road To The 2018 Champion Chase

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Worth bearing in mind that the only time UDS swerved Cheltenham, was when Mullins had Hurricane Fly going for a third Champion Hurdle. That was a particularly unique set of circumstances, and there was no way he was going to put a stable-mate up in opposition to The Fly.

Great Field is more likely to be routed to the Ryanair, than not run at all, I reckon........though one of Douvan or Min seems more logical to step up in trip, given the way GF uses his energy in a race.

All Ricci knows about racing, is what he learns from Mullins, so he does what he's told, because he knows the trainer knows best. McManus, however, is a somewhat wilier old fox than RR, and whilst I expect he will listen to reason to an extent, I'd also expect him to be much more assertive about GFs target, than Ricci would be if he owned the horse.

We'll have a better idea as to what's happening once Mullins actually makes some firm racing plans for the three of them!
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 13th November 2017 at 12:50 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    The most interesting thing to take from all the noise coming out of Ricci's mouth at the moment is that where Douvan ends up will depend largely on Min.

I'd have thought it the other way around.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    It will all depend on Ruby and Willie really - case in point Vautour and that Ryanair
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Shloer Chase next Sunday reopened after receiving just nine entries

Thanks
    Just a strange thing to admit to, implying that Min has first preference.

but as we know, take it with a pinch of salt and all that. I don't remember hearing them saying they weren't happy with Douvan this stage last season but now they tell us.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    No point naming a target for Douvan, if Min is more forward at this stage, perhaps?

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    "He could stay at two miles, he could step up in trip. It depends what happens with Min, who has summered particularly well."
    Last edited by wilsonl; 13th November 2017 at 5:19 PM.

Thanks
    seems a bit strange if they are letting Min dictate what happens with Douvan in the long-term (or even medium-term) give the injury problems the former has had.

Thanks
    That's what I thought and leads me to think one of two things; either Min is seriously good or Douvan isn't what he was. Possibly a bit of both.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think dictate is a very strong word.

Rich wants to win as many races as he can. His hope is that Min improves enough to be a serious contender for the QMCC which would free up Douvan to go for the King George.

Min wouldn't get the trip in a horse box at Kempton so common sense says step Douvan up.

You can bet the man praying loudest they do is Nicky henderson who clearly thinks he's up against it if they meet
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post
    That's what I thought and leads me to think one of two things; either Min is seriously good or Douvan isn't what he was. Possibly a bit of both.
    You think too much......Ruby Willie and Ricci have all said Douvan is a better horse this year
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think it's open to a lot of interpretation, Lee.

I know what you're getting at, and on a certain reading, it might make you think either.......or it might simply reflect the fact that Min is further forward than Douvan.

Or it could mean not very-much at all.

Min not having a King George entry is the thing that's throwing me. It seems illogical for Ricci not to keep his option open there, given the horse's profile.

Does that perhaps mean they're thinking King George for Douvan, but will drop back to two-miles, if Min disappoints on his comeback......and save the KG for another year with Douvan?

Any way you look at it, Douvan's prep for a KG tilt is already starting to verge towards rushed, and maybe the preference is to stay at 2m, but with them happy to roll the dice, if Min comes back in good form. Hence Min's influence on running plans?

In summary, who the fu*ck knows.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 13th November 2017 at 5:47 PM.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Min would never get the trip Grassy he's a natural 2 miler and I doubt if it's ever crossed their minds to step up.

Too many assume because Altior kicked him into touch in the Supreme he'll do the same over fences.

Altior unlike Buveur D'air that day was mature beyond his years while Min was still an infant.

I am still not convinced Altior is as good as some think .

I really hope they plan to take him on in the Tingle Creek with Min or UDS add to that Politlogue and you got some race and his first real test IMO but I won't go there tonight
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I genuinely cannot fathom why you - of all people - would question what Altior has achieved. I'm genuinely baffled here.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    They think that Min would get two and a half but Douvan could get further. Before they went into full work the story was that Douvan had more pace than Min and was more likely to go QM but now maybe not as clear cut.
    Altior put in a fairly moderate performance in the Arkle (slower than Special Tiara in the QM carrying 6lb less). If that's as good as he is then Douvan would mash him and Min would probably beat him. Willie has never won either QM or GC and would probably go for his best chance of winning either. Ruby wants to ride winners and Ricci will do as he's told.
    A few weeks ago I'd have said QM - Douvan, Ryanair - Min, GC - Djakadam. Now I'm not so sure and could see QM - Min, Ryanair - Djakadam, GC - Douvan (would be my preference).
    The older I get the better I was.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to archie For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (13th November 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    You think too much......Ruby Willie and Ricci have all said Douvan is a better horse this year
    They said the same last year and are now telling us they were never happy with him

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    As a Great Field backer in the QMCC, the suggestion that Douvan might have lost even a bit of speed, is welcome!

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Haven't heard a word about GF from the Mullins camp

forgotten horse almost. If he was with another stable his profile would be higher
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    GF will be ridden by an outside jockey (JP's) so would have a lower profile anyway.
    Looking at the way the exercise is structured the morning i was there with Ruby and Paul setting the pace for the rest at work lots I imagine any horse ridden by non stable jockey is nearly looked upon as an outside horse; just my impression.
    As such they would let JP's team talk up the horse / or otherwise.
    I got the impression that they are as happy not to have Giggi horses for the same reason though with Giggi's changed jockey policy they would now take them back quite happily.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Entries for the Shloer Chase on Sunday

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards...57/at-a-glance