Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Ladbrokes Trophy Chase. Newbury. December 2nd.

Thanks
    Thistlecrack has never beaten a top horse on the top of its form. Neither has he come out on top when in a battle
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Think you could argue the toss about that about any horse, archie, and not convinced it's valid argument.

Thistlecrack was over-rated over fences (though perhaps by not so much), and was a top-end staying hurdler in his prime. I don't really buy the argument that he hasn't been all that great all along, and that circumstances handed him his wins.

There were a host of valid reasons for wanting to be against him today, without running-down what he achieved before his injury. That just seems a little unfair - and inaccurate - to me.

Anyway, onwards and upwards to the Hennessy/Ladbrokes Trophy. recall, Genie and/or Vyta will do for me tomorrow, and I'll be combining them in forecasts and tricasts
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 1st December 2017 at 8:11 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    While I still think Royal Vacation (EW) could run a big race here finding the winner looks a nightmare.

Of the Henderson pair I'd have to go with Whisper. Daryl Jacob was originally going to Newcastle but instead of putting up 2 or 3lbs extra he sidesteps the ride on Vtyu(Got no chance imo) now heads to Bangor

Coneygree ?The horse simply is not right and I'll be surprised finishes..he falters the second pressure is put on and there will be plenty here

Been hearing good reports from friends back home about Potter Legend who is a huge price Brain Hughes on board is a huge boost. Will have a few quid on just incase

WPM crossing the Irish Sea for this? How can you oppose the best trainer of NH races since Fulke Walwyn....Fav but a must bet for me Total Recall
    Last edited by Tanlic; 2nd December 2017 at 6:39 AM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 874 Posts
    Love this race, and, imho, American has the near-perfect profile for it, and looks to have been preserved for it since last season. He has been mainly kept to soft ground owing to his fragility and, if his trainer is prepared to risk him today, then,so am I.
    Certainly been given the prep of a horse with a major chance.

Thanks
    Yes this is between American and Singlefarmpayment for me. I'm on at 14's and 16's. I also have Vyta Du Roc and Double Ross at bigger prices all each way. I'm happy with my position and wouldn't swap my bets for anything else in the race.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Reet and I have the first and second Maruco is it ok if you settle for 3rd? Where can I do the tricast?
    Last edited by Tanlic; 2nd December 2017 at 9:40 AM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    If my figures are right, SFP might just run away with this, despite its being such a hot race. I've also taken 100/1 ew for the Gold Cup in case I'm right.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    Reet and I have the first and second Maruco is it ok if you settle for 3rd? Where can I do the tricast?

Thanks
    In many ways today is similar to a Festival day for me. I'm balls deep on Singlefarmpayment at an average of just under 13/1. Only other proper bet is stake cover on VDR at 25/1. Had decided not to go because of likely weather but swithering and could just make it if I go soon.
    Common sense dictates I should be laying off but, sod it, I'm a punter- I think. DO's (he of 50/1 winner fame) comment above puts steel in my backbone but it is of the flexible variety. The probable point for a decision whether to lay off will be determined by some early results, notably at Fairyhouse, as I have a number of multiples that include SFP at present level prices.

Thanks
    I should be laying off too TS, but instead I've just put my four in combination forecasts and tricasts!!!

Thanks
    I don't fancy the fav Total Recall in terms of form and especially looking at these stats for WP Mullins in UK only races from 2000 to now at ISP £1 level stakes.

WP Mullins UK Only.jpg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pawras For This Useful Post:

LUKE (2nd December 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    Of the Henderson pair I'd have to go with Whisper. Daryl Jacob was originally going to Newcastle but instead of putting up 2 or 3lbs extra he sidesteps the ride on Vtyu(Got no chance imo) now heads to Bangor
    You know a Nicky Henderson horse has a good chance when Tanlic says the complete opposite.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yeah right Marble.....I backed the first and second backed Potters at 46 and laid him at 10....how did you do LOL
    Formely Fist of Fury

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanlic For This Useful Post:

Marb (2nd December 2017)

Thanks
    very nearly backed whisper but left it, felt sick as he went on from the last so a bit relieved in the end

either way a nice boost for might bite

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    If my figures are right, SFP might just run away with this, despite its being such a hot race. I've also taken 100/1 ew for the Gold Cup in case I'm right.
    Not giving up on the horse. Jockey had a shocker - no need to be right at the back from the start and he used him up to get into contention.

Thanks
    Yes, a huge boost for Mite Bite. The two of them have finished a long way clear in a Hennessy. Hard to know where Singlefarmpayment would have finished as he was finding when he fell, but probably booked for third at best.

Thanks
    SFP was about a length behind the winner when he fell. He didn't jump brilliantly before the fall though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Lol, Tan, a good result for punters, I got the value on Vyta, but not the winner.
    Last edited by Marb; 2nd December 2017 at 4:21 PM.

Thanks
    Had a complete and utter wipe out myself thought Whisper has run a cracker unbelievable run.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    Not giving up on the horse. Jockey had a shocker - no need to be right at the back from the start and he used him up to get into contention.
    Just came on to say something similar. The jockey must have thought he was riding the Derby winner, never mind a Gold Cup winner. I just could not fathom his starting position and early race tactics. You just cannot give unnecessary distance in a race of that quality.
    Illegitimi non carborundum