Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladbrokes Trophy Chase. Newbury. December 2nd.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ladbrokes Trophy Chase. Newbury. December 2nd.

This used to be known as The Hennessey, and should be as competitive event as ever this year. There are plenty of Irish entries. I can't pretend I know the winner, but VYTA DU ROC looks a value price, at this early stage. This is what I have read into his career so far. He was a fair fifth in at Scottish National, and good second in the Bet 365 Gold Cup at Sandown, (this was the last time we saw him, at back end of last season).

He was sixth in the very race last season on a rating of 143, when quite well fancied in the betting at 8/1. He certainly needs to improve a notch or two to get anywhere near to winning a showcase handicap in 2017/2018, but at least he's been thereabouts at the business end in these type of events. If Nicky Henderson could get more improvement, Vyta Du Roc could get his head in front in one these, still only eights year of age. He's on a mark of 140 now, which looks workable, based on his overall profile.

He beat Minella Rocco, now on 166, off level weights eighteen months ago. He must possess a bit of class. Whilst he's not nailed on at this early stage, Vyta Due Roc looks excellent value at prices of 33/1. Perhaps some proper soft ground may do the trick, (he seems better with cut in the ground). I just hope he makes it on the day, and the heavens open!
    Last edited by Marb; 6th November 2017 at 6:39 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I printed off a list of the field (in order or OR) last night with a view to spending some time on it this week - distraction therapy in an attempt to combat depression without resorting to medication! - and VDR was one of the ones that immediately caught my eye.

However, I expect he'll be regarded generally as exposed and lacking the steep-curve profile associated with modern winners of the race therefore I also expect he'll still be 33/1 or more in the week leading up to the race so I'm happy to hold off for the time being.

I also expect Smad Place (159) to be up about 6lbs when his new OR is published during the week, otherwise I could have fancied him given how impressive he was in winning it off 155 a couple of years ago and how that form subsequently worked out. I think I read somewhere, though, that he won't go for the race.

Singlefarmpayment, though, remains my idea of the winner but I've still to back him. Must fix that.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    50% of bookies still quoting prices about Coneygree for this. That sort of shi*t really gets on my nerves.

With so many un-rated Irish entries, it's hard to get any kind of handle on the race at this stage, though would agree with DO's assessment that VDR doesn't look progressive enough. I'd further agree with his assessment that SFP commands plenty of respect.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The Hennessy has so much history attached to it it's sad to see the name go and replaced with THAT!!!!!

Others like the Kempton Park Handicap Hurdle which was renamed to the Christmas Hurdle was an improvement

BUT How on earth did we end up with Jane Seymour Mares' Novices' Hurdle a Grade 2 run at Sandown?

The Massey Ferguson
    Formely Fist of Fury

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanlic For This Useful Post:

moehat (8th November 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    50% of bookies still quoting prices about Coneygree for this. That sort of shi*t really gets on my nerves.
    https://www.irishracing.com/news?hea...d=186838&prt=L
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Fair enough, archie.

There's seemingly no limits to how much shi*te the Bradstock's can trot out. He is a million to make the Hennessy, imo.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    I've already backed Singlefarmpayment at 16/1 and American at 14/1 both each way antepost early doors for this. I really can't see too far past the pair of them. Although I'll certainly look at the final decs and play around with my position.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Must fix that.
    Duly fixed. 14/1.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    However, I expect he'll be regarded generally as exposed and lacking the steep-curve profile associated with modern winners of the race therefore I also expect he'll still be 33/1 or more in the week leading up to the race so I'm happy to hold off for the time being..
    Points taken, DO.

He might be exposed and won't find anything this season, (which I think is what you're saying), I accept that, but he can't be badly handicapped off 140 on what he's done. Being exposed and badly handicapped may be two different things I guess. He's looking at being weighted between 10 stone and 10:6. I plan to chip away at the price the next few weeks, hope for everything to go right, including the ground being soft.
    Last edited by Marb; 6th November 2017 at 6:40 PM.

Thanks
    I suppose I'm really saying I think he could run as well as we could hope and still find some future superstar laughing at him.

Thanks
    Looks the ideal race for Whisper.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    The weights

Attached Images Attached Images

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (7th November 2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Total Recall and SFP look to be on handy weights. No surprise they’re at the head of the market.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    When was the last time WPM had a handicap chase winner in the UK?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I also expect Smad Place (159) to be up about 6lbs when his new OR is published during the week, otherwise I could have fancied him given how impressive he was in winning it off 155 a couple of years ago and how that form subsequently worked out. .
    Smad Place is a good horse but he's had his day. I was arguing he was better than he turned out to be a couple years back. If he wins this again, off 11:11 this time around, I'll commit harry carry, so that I never watch horse racing again.

As punters trying to get edges or decent angles... we need weights and measurements to really matter in showcase handicaps.

For example, on the flat, I'm tired of seeing the same old... badly handicapped. older exposed horses, bolting up every Saturday in the big handicaps.

The Roger Charlton / Tony Bloom horse that hacked up off bottom weight in The Ceserewitch a few weeks ago is the best thing that's happened in flat racing in a long time.

I just want to see the lower weighted horses serve it up to the higher rated horses for a change.

I'd have nothing against a in-form Coneygree winning this race off 11:12,, as he is different class to Smad Place.

Anyways, I'm happy with Vyta Du Rocs weight of 10:1.

IF carrying lower weights still actually matters, he's a nice each way chance.
    Last edited by Marb; 7th November 2017 at 8:30 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    When was the last time WPM had a handicap chase winner in the UK?
    Hedgehunter?
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    I've already backed Singlefarmpayment at 16/1 and American at 14/1 both each way antepost early doors for this. I really can't see too far past the pair of them. Although I'll certainly look at the final decs and play around with my position.
    I’ve done similar at similar prices.

Drop of rain would suit American.

Thanks
    Yes agree Ivan. Although good to soft is fine, anything softer would be perfect.

Now the weights are out I'm going for a bit of cover on Total Recall too. I also had a sneaky look at Vyta du Roc just like Marble but didn't press the button as I suspect he may not get a run.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Maruco For This Useful Post:

Marb (7th November 2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    He will get in Paul, surely?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Nicky knows the time of day, I'll be bloody amazed if he gets balloted out.