Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: King George Boxing/St Stephen's Day 2017

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    No UDS so

Can't say I'm altogether surprised, tbh. Probably won't get his ground, and shaped very-much like a non-stayer on his only outing beyond 22f (admittedly, it was 3m1f in a bog at Auteuil).

Maybe his absence makes one of WPM's other ones a more likely runner, though with Elliot banging them in regularly, it would be no surprise if both were kept the other side of the Irish Sea to contest local targets, and not brought over to the UK until the spring.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 8th November 2017 at 2:46 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    "Thistlecrack, Sizing John and Douvan could clash in King George cracker"

Only the RP could manage to come up with a headline for the race, fail to mention the winner and yet include Douvan, who more than likely won't run.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I don't think there's a person who if they had backed Might Bite, Sizing John or Thistlecrack that wouldn't **** a brick if WPM said Douvan was running

Sort of messes up the race for AP punting
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    As a Might Bite backer, if WPM "said" he was running I wouldn't give a toss.

Should he actually line up, it'd be a different story however...
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'd be perfectly happy to take-on Douvan with Might Bite in the King George.

There have been many a Grade1 2m5f horse who have found this just too much of a test, and I would be very-strongly against Douvan getting home. Whilst Douvan's grand-dam is an influence for stamina, his sire is not, and there's a reason why the furthest he has ever been asked to race, is 2m1f.

Kempton is generally considered an "easy 3m", but the King George is the one race where this doesn't apply, because they go hard at it right from the off. With Might Bite and/or Thistlecrack in the race, the coals will be shovelled-on from the outset, and you are going to need to get every yard. Douvan's tank would be empty before two-out.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 8th November 2017 at 5:14 PM.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Everyone thought Vautour was sure to stay...
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    He did. Winner should have been thrown-out for whip abuse.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Vautour stayed 3 miles fine, problem is with all the jumps out to the left he actually ran nearer 3m2 that day.

Thanks
    My point is it's not a formality they they will all stay

I think if he truly relished the step up in trip, he'd have won that day
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Vautour was running into a Cue Card at the height of his powers, and ran to a huge mark in defeat. He would have been thereabouts with the subsequent Gold Cup winner, if Don Cossack hadn't fallen. To me, that proves he truly stayed - he was just cut-down late by Brennan. They front two were also a country-mile clear of some very good horses.

But lets not go there again!

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Yes. No point reprising.

id love to see Min in this but I'll settle for Douvan to help me digest my sprouts
    Last edited by granger; 8th November 2017 at 9:15 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Vautour was running into a Cue Card at the height of his powers, and ran to a huge mark in defeat. He would have been thereabouts with the subsequent Gold Cup winner, if Don Cossack hadn't fallen. To me, that proves he truly stayed - he was just cut-down late by Brennan. They front two were also a country-mile clear of some very good horses.

But lets not go there again!
    Al Ferof was 13 lengths in back in third and was 9 and 14 lengths to Conti in previous years. The race was pretty much up the the standard but Don would've passed them by dozens of lengths had he stayed up, he was already passing CC at the second last. He destroyed CC when they've last met at Aintree and this wouldn't have been so different.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aughex View Post
    ......but Don would've passed them by dozens of lengths had he stayed up.......
    This is possibly the most hilarious thing I've read on a forum anywhere, ever.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I was going to reply but thought better of it. BTW who the fook does Tizzard think he is? Jocking off Paddy Brennan who is one of the best out there...
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    This is possibly the most hilarious thing I've read on a forum anywhere, ever.
    If someone finds something hilarious, means unconsciously knows its true

I also wanted to say I agree with you reg. Vautour, but I knew you'd make a remark on what I said of Don..
    Last edited by Aughex; 9th November 2017 at 8:08 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If you did know that, it basically makes you a common troll, doesn’t it? A clearly outlandish and unjustifiable statement, intended to provoke a response.

At least you’re consistent.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Its not unjustifiable statement when I've argued it, Don pulverized CC at Aintree and the distance he put between himself and him that day was also FROM around 2 furlongs to go. So its not hard to imagine Don staying on really strong to beat him by 12+ lengths in the KG, he beat CC by 25+ when they last met.

The fact I knew you're going to have an issue with it was because I directly quoted you when saying 'thereabouts with the subsequent Gold Cup winner' which is actually outlandish given the horse fell 2 out so your 'thereabouts' is pure guesswork as we don't know where he would've finished. We can only make an educated guess on what we know(the last they met: Aintree).

And yes I'm consistent in telling my opinion regardless of what you or others may think of it, just like you, so if I'm a troll..
    Last edited by Aughex; 9th November 2017 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The claim that Don Cossack would have put dozens (plural) of lengths between himself and CC/Vatour, in the space between the second-last and the line, is unjustifiable on every imaginable measure.

Your line of Aintree form is built on sand, for the simple reason that DC was never off the bridle at Aintree, whereas he’d already been ridden-along for a half-mile at Kempton. And that ignores the multiple other factors that riddle your fantasist theory with more holes than the gable-end of an ISIS sniper’s nest.

Please start taking your medicine again.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 9th November 2017 at 11:37 PM.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    So, let me get this straight. You first used Don as a GC winner to say he was thereabouts with Vautour, now you're saying Don wasn't actually travelling in the race you're using as argument. Maybe you should take some medicine to get your thoughts straight.

The facts are, yes he wasn't travelling, the fast pace that Ruby set on Vautour got him off his element, but just after 3 out he was getting back into it and with 2 furlongs to go, just like Aintree, he could've put many many lengths up between himself and CC to the finish line. Don wasn't thereabouts at all, he didn't even complete the race. However, Ruby knows how to get classy middle distance horses to stay for 3+ miles, he did that with Kauto, he simply needed to wait and not go out in front like it was the Supreme..
    Last edited by Aughex; 10th November 2017 at 12:03 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Medicine clearly isn’t working. You might want to try a lobotomy.

SlimChance, March 2018