Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 84853545556575859 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1167

Thread: 2018 Gold Cuppin'

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Actually Archie I was at Hexam watching the race with the late Tony Charlton and I said after the race Bregawn will win next year......Tony reckoned I was spot on so we..oops sorry...I backed him AP

Somehow Native River brought those memories back and I though with the same kind of improvement Native River could emulate him..............funny how we reach some conclusions but there ya go
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    Actually Archie I was at Hexam watching the race with the late Tony Charlton and I said after the race Bregawn will win next year......Tony reckoned I was spot on so we..oops sorry...I backed him AP

Somehow Native River brought those memories back and I though with the same kind of improvement Native River could emulate him..............funny how we reach some conclusions but there ya go
    New entry for the aftertiming championships. I'm kidding. That's a good story. First Gold Cup Winner I can remember was Bregawn (Irish for 'toys', for those who care about that sort of thing).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A top race run by two mighty horses.
    Total Recall unlucky to fall but such is racing.
    Anibale Fly not that far off them at finish either so delighted for Tony Martin.

Thanks
    I thought the Gold Cup was a wonderful race - looked a two horse race after about three fences !

I so so hope Might Bite was just done by the ground and doesn't end up like Wayward Lad - though he would have won a Gold Cup if they had not brought in that ******* mare's allowance .

Thanks
    Great race to watch, ground favoured the winner far more than the runner up.

Thanks
    Just watched it again and still thought the Biter was going to win!

He would have got away from NR heading to 2 out on better ground imo. Take nothing away from the winner on the day though. When they were jumping the last upsides he was always going to outstay the biter up the hill on that ground.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    The biter had every chance to win. I thought he would going to the last.

You do have to stay to win the GC.

Hopefully the race won't bottom the top 2 for future.
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    I dared to hope when he briefly headed the winner after 2 out but knew Native River wouldn’t let him assert.

It’s a bit odd imo that the winner keeps the race when the rider has broken the rules but that’s the way it is

I see NJH is talking about running the Biter at aintree but hope not as the horse has had a real hard race here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    If it was the ground rather than anything else that beat him then he might not have had as hard a race as it looked. He was only only asked for maximum effort between the last two whereas I felt Native River had a much harder time of it being hard ridden from before the turn and leathered all the way to the line.

Didn't Wayward Lad come back from a similarly hard-looking race in the Gold Cup to run away from his field at Aintree?
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    The biter had every chance to win. I thought he would going to the last.

You do have to stay to win the GC.

Hopefully the race won't bottom the top 2 for future.
    He stopped after the last fence, I don't think he stayed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    If it was the ground rather than anything else that beat him then he might not have had as hard a race as it looked. He was only only asked for maximum effort between the last two whereas I felt Native River had a much harder time of it being hard ridden from before the turn and leathered all the way to the line.

Didn't Wayward Lad come back from a similarly hard-looking race in the Gold Cup to run away from his field at Aintree?

No -after the Dawn Run Gold Cup -she fell at the first at Aintree and Wayward Lad was run off his feet by 40/1 shot Beau Ranger.Wayward Lad won the race in 1988 but he missed the Gold Cup that year.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LUKE For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (18th March 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by G-G View Post
    He stopped after the last fence, I don't think he stayed.
    Stayed well enough to be a 4 length winner without Native River.

Even well before the last when Nico ask him to quicken and go past Native River kept finding

To be frank Might Bite has probably run the best race of his life and simply isn't as good a horse as Native River

Let's not forget this is the first time he has taken on top drawer material and he's just been found wanting a bit.

You could argue the ground would change things but as Native River showed in the Hennessy he acts just as well on g/s and Might Bite won the KG on soft

Both were slowing but that is nothing unusual but you could say he never stayed as well as Might Bite but I would have to question the idea that he didn't stay
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 874 Posts
    Question away,Fist, but first take off the NR tinted specs and look at their history.
    MB has won once in excess of 3m; on good ground around a sharp Aintree.
    NR has won a Henessy, a Welsh National, and finished 2nd in the Festival 4 miler.
    MB is a year older, but if he doesn't - ultimately - attain a career higher rating than NR, I'll swallow the form book, whole.
    Last edited by reet hard; 18th March 2018 at 6:10 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to reet hard For This Useful Post:

littlelad (18th March 2018)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The problem with that is who exactly is going to take Might Bite on that he can beat to boost his rating?
    Another King George like that last one isn't going to see him shoot up the ladder and nothing else is likely to take him on during the build up.

UNLESS!!! you know who steps up in trip and goes KG but then he'd kick him into touch anyway
    Last edited by Tanlic; 18th March 2018 at 6:46 AM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LUKE View Post
    No -after the Dawn Run Gold Cup -she fell at the first at Aintree and Wayward Lad was run off his feet by 40/1 shot Beau Ranger.Wayward Lad won the race in 1988 but he missed the Gold Cup that year.
    Thanks, Luke. That was lazy of me. I should have checked before posting. Apologies to all.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LUKE View Post
    You are right about 1986 but Wayward Lad did win at Aintree in 1985 and in his very last race in 1987 after The Thinker’s snowy Gold Cup .

The old boy had Gold Cup runner up Cybrandian back in third. Here he is with Graham McCourt replacing Bradley who rode Stearsby.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NHAj98SHrjM

Thanks
    Memory playing tricks - Pendil was robbed by the hopeless rides given to him by Richard Pitman not outstayed .
    Last edited by Ardross; 18th March 2018 at 9:06 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardross View Post
    You are right about 1986 but Wayward Lad did win at Aintree in 1985 and in his very last race in 1987 after The Thinker’s snowy Gold Cup .

The old boy had Gold Cup runner up Cybrandian back in third. Here he is with Graham McCourt replacing Bradley who rode Stearsby.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NHAj98SHrjM

You are correct -I ducked out of school down to the local bookies to watch the race -after Wayward Lad won I had to sprint back to do an important exam.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to LUKE For This Useful Post:

fonz (18th March 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    Stayed well enough to be a 4 length winner without Native River.

Even well before the last when Nico ask him to quicken and go past Native River kept finding

To be frank Might Bite has probably run the best race of his life and simply isn't as good a horse as Native River

Let's not forget this is the first time he has taken on top drawer material and he's just been found wanting a bit.

You could argue the ground would change things but as Native River showed in the Hennessy he acts just as well on g/s and Might Bite won the KG on soft

Both were slowing but that is nothing unusual but you could say he never stayed as well as Might Bite but I would have to question the idea that he didn't stay
    Without NR, only because he, MB, is a class above the rest of the field he faced. Henderson said before the race they were worried about him getting the trip. Maybe he would have won on better ground, but only because the rest of the opposition, excepting NR, were not in his class.He had no legs after the last, it had taken everything out of him to stay with the winner thus far. I would be surprised if they try for it again next year unless they think on better ground and without NR, he could win it.

Thanks
    I would disagree -absolutely nailed on to be aimed at the race next year.