Page 45 of 59 FirstFirst ... 35404142434445464748495055 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Gold Cuppin'

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Bristol De Mai has been scratched from the CGC this morning

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Danny (12th February 2018)

Thanks
    Right After Twiston Davies said he wasn't giving up on the Gold cup dream haha.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    If he was tired he wouldn't have found as much when Marinero came upsides.
    Spot on. A tired horse doesn’t catch Whisper going full-tilt, from a standing start in the last furlong.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I trust Simon Rowlands won't mind my copying over an excerpt from his Sectional Debrief of last year's festival and the Gold Cup in particular:

A more useful comparison is one between this year’s Cheltenham Gold Cup winner and last year’s, Don Cossack. The surface speed was very similar on both occasions (I have it a mere 5 lb quicker this year than last), but Don Cossack ran about 1.8s quicker and can be considered a better horse.

Last year’s Cheltenham Gold Cup was run at a fast pace bar a steadying mid-race, and those figures for Don Cossack should be viewed in the context that he did not even lead. Neither did Sizing John, who was mostly about five lengths off a pace being set by Native River and Champagne West.
    This year’s Cheltenham Gold Cup made up the deficit mid-race, but only briefly (around the top of the hill on the first circuit). Thereafter, it dropped several lengths behind and stayed there.
    The closing stages of this year’s race tested speed more than stamina – the race finishing speed was 100.4% where just under 100% would be par – but only just. There were no major bad-luck stories on sectionals, but Sizing John’s timefigure is likely to be in the mid-to-low 160s, where a good Cheltenham Gold Cup winner (like Don Cossack) would be well into the 170s.
    Timeform’s Sectional Archive gives timing details of all runners at all meetings, and not just over the last four days. As an example of some of the information which can be extracted, the following are the fastest closing sectionals across this year’s Cheltenham Festival.

Absolute times without context do not always tell the whole story, but there are some interesting figures there, including the fact that Altior ran faster late on in terms of seconds/furlong (13.72) than any other chaser at the entire Festival and that the same distinction over hurdles went to Arctic Fire (13.65 s/f).
    The presence in those lists of some who failed to make the places but still ran notably fast late in their races should raise a few eyebrows, too!

I was a wee bit disappointed the RSA wasn't included but notice that Whisper is in there as a fast finisher. For MB to have slowed right up then rallied to have held him off speaks volumes, I think.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Danny (12th February 2018), granger (12th February 2018), tiggers1972 (12th February 2018)

Thanks
    It could do Des but if your gauging it from the last 3.8F its not really telling you how much of that was the final half furlong which is what I'd be more interested in re- Whisper. I'm not completely crabbing the form anyway I've said numerous times that MB is a worthy favourite its just I'm not of the belief that he's better than the rest or if he is that he's as superior as most would think. I actually find myself agreeing with Tanlic which is kind of worrying in itself that Might Bite certainly faces a stiffer challenge from the likes of Native River and Sizing John and the rest tbh than he has faced to date. Actually reading those sectionals there you might be inclined to think that Native River would be better suited by a faster pace and a test of Stamina than he did last year.

Can't wait to see the race myself I just hope most of them turn up and run to something like there best, it could be an absolute cracker.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    ....and that the same distinction over hurdles went to Arctic Fire (13.65 s/f).
    The presence in those lists of some who failed to make the places but still ran notably fast late in their races should raise a few eyebrows, too!
    I didn't need to see this Dessie, I have enough (more than any other horse) on L'ami Serge already.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    He'd go well in the expected ground having won round Aintree on good.

On the downside Hadrian's won it for Nicky off 146 and he carried 11 stone so SDR is going to get near on 12st.

Tidal Bay managed it but you have to go back along long way to find another...Arkle and the Dickler carried big weights
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You gotta love PN He said on sat before the race SDR was a little bit burly he just change that to he's HUGE!!!!!
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Our Duke to be entered in the Red Mills chase at Gowran Park this weekend

Thanks
    Interesting that they’re thinking of getting another run into Our Duke. He has got it all to prove though. I can’t have one in the Gold Cup that makes so many jumping errors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBear View Post
    I can’t have one in the Gold Cup that makes so many jumping errors.
    See More Business was capable of hitting every fence on the way round but was almost perfect in the big race.

Thanks
    It’s a big risk though. He could just as easily be Carvills Hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Whichever one of SJ and OD that Robbie Power rejects has a big red cross by it.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    I haven't checked Gault Stats but last year's RP trends (which Sizing John fitted) would say that it's a straight fight between Might Bite and Road To Respect.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    No surprise but Disko confirmed as a NR in the CGC.

Thanks
    At least Nicholls agrees with me re SDR's price:

https://www.racingpost.com/news/news...to-beat/319382

Thanks
    I'm sure Ken Pitterson [sp] said when reviewing the horses pre race that SdR looked to be the one that would need the race more than NR. Pity they can't get another race into him. Never think any horse of that calibre should be 80/1 but, as a small stakes ew backer I'm not complaining.

Thanks
    I'll check his column in the Weekender tomorrow, moehat, to see if he expands any on that.

It occurred to me, reading between the lines of PN's remarks re another run, that maybe they might feel obliged to use the Gold Cup instead as a prep for the Bowl. Hope I'm wrong about that, though.

Thanks
    Nicholls has jocked Cobden up on Cliffs of Dover in the Kingwell - new or old jockey for Cue Card ?
    Last edited by Ardross; 13th February 2018 at 3:45 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    At least Nicholls agrees with me re SDR's price:

https://www.racingpost.com/news/news...to-beat/319382
    Nicholls thinks he “may” be over-priced, DO......which somewhat less equivocal than your own position, no?

I’d have been more convinced if he’d said he thought SDR would have won last year, if only he had taken the race a bit more seriously!
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018