Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheltenham 2017/18

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 804 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Finians possibly got too much racing last year and is showing the effects now.
    The horse needs a rest ; he reminds me of The Tullow Tank as i may have said before.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Double J View Post
    If I was ever in a fortunate position enough to own horses they'd be going to Hendo or Nicholls.
    Really?? PN is very clever but I would steer well clear of the man.

He is a master salesman but behind the success 23%strike rate there are many many disappointed owners.

Currently 70% of his horses have won nothing compared to 49% with Hendo and Mullins.

Harry Fry and the Skeltons who also play the numbers game with new owners aren't much better.

Jonjo I would have no problem putting a horse with Jonjo but that's me having been there done that, he taught PN everything he knows and 66% of his runners have failed to win and about 40 of those came home empty handed
    That said unlike PN Jonjo is down to earth and will train for anyone whether they have a million pounds or 10 pounds and he'll treat them the same way.....like shyte lol

Donald McCain and Peter Bowen are more the type of trainer us ordinary mortals should consider
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edgt View Post
    Finians possibly got too much racing last year and is showing the effects now.
    The horse needs a rest ; he reminds me of The Tullow Tank as i may have said before.
    Can't agree Ed as I said a couple of months ago he is overrated.

He came at a time when Tizzard was big news but looking back has any of his form been franked to any great degree?.

Capitaine Bacardys and Death Duty have all disappointed to different degrees.

If he's on a going day no doubt he could win something big someday when things fall apart round about him
    but he will never be a consistent winning machine like they thought he was IMO
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Analysis of the sectionals for Festival Trials Day and Cotswold Chase distance not as advertised

https://www.timeform.com/horse-racin...y-2018-2812018

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Danny (28th January 2018), Desert Orchid (28th January 2018), viking (28th January 2018)

Thanks
    Tiger Roll, Bless the Wings and Cause of Causes all here today schooling over the Cross Country course and looking good.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

edgt (14th February 2018), Grasshopper (14th February 2018), littlelad (14th February 2018), tiggers1972 (14th February 2018), wilsonl (14th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,496 Times in 2,753 Posts
    I hate to be the harbinger of doom but is there a chance the festival could be postponed due to extreme frost and snow?

My long-range weather forecast is for it to be very cold in general with heavy snow in the area for the first weekend in March then sub-zero temperatures for a couple of weeks after that.

This ties in with the LRF I got in early November when it said the second half of winter could be colder than average due to La Niña happening on the other side of the world.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    Id say nothing short of the black plague would stop the juggernaut these days.
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Tiger Roll, Bless the Wings and Cause of Causes all here today schooling over the Cross Country course and looking good.
    Thanks DG. It's interesting how Elliott prepares his x country chasers, never seems to run them in punchestown pre Cheltenham

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I hate to be the harbinger of doom but is there a chance the festival could be postponed due to extreme frost and snow?

My long-range weather forecast is for it to be very cold in general with heavy snow in the area for the first weekend in March then sub-zero temperatures for a couple of weeks after that.

This ties in with the LRF I got in early November when it said the second half of winter could be colder than average due to La Niña happening on the other side of the world.
    Most forecasters can't even get it right for 24 hours in advance so looking 4 weeks in advance is surely in the realms of fantasy.

Thanks
    I disagree. I think by and large weather forecasting is more accurate now than ever.

Thanks
    Only snow will stop the festival. In 2013, the covers were on overnight to mitigate against temperatures of minus 5. We still had “good-soft” on Day 1.

Thanks
    But they won't want to have the covers on for a fortnight beforehand.

Thanks
    Long term forecasting is a dubious business. This is from the BBC website for end of feb to mid March. It really couldn't be more vague:-

Late February into early March, there continues to be signs from a range of forecasting guidance for a more 'blocked' synoptic set-up, as a greater incidence of high pressure over northern Europe combines with a reduced strength of the typical westerly air flow that often characterises the
    European winter. The primary impact from such a development is for a greater frequency of cold outbreaks, these perhaps evolving in a succession of cold air masses from the east. Wind and rainfall are also expected to be below average with a lack of energetic Atlantic lows crashing into the UK, but should the wind direction swing easterly at times then this would bring the threat of snow showers from the North Sea.

The main question mark is how long high pressure will be influential over northern Europe, with some suggestions from long-range weather models that high pressure will slip west over the North Atlantic towards north-eastern parts of Canada. If this does occur, then this could signal the onset of a less cold and more unsettled period of weather for the UK towards mid-March.

Thanks
    Good/soft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    A week before Aintree last year the weather basically said pack a big brollie. I ended getting sun stroke. I wouldn't read too much into it just yet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Madeiros View Post
    Only snow will stop the festival. In 2013, the covers were on overnight to mitigate against temperatures of minus 5. We still had “good-soft” on Day 1.
    We lost the second day in 2008 owing to high winds.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Len Madeiros (15th February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That was a welcome delay, because me and Digger got absolutely horsed in hospitality on the Tuesday and were in a right state on the Wednesday morning.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    That was a welcome delay, because me and Digger got absolutely horsed in hospitality on the Tuesday and were in a right state on the Wednesday morning.
    Yeh so we went into town and did it all over again!

Thanks
    I had a right touch with that too. I had had to go work in the US for a few weeks - I remember chatting shite with Grassy on TRF chat on the Sunday - and while I was going to be back in time to attend on the Friday and was able to watch the Tuesday's racing after work using a sling-box, I would have completely missed Wednesday's racing as that was the day I was flying.

Getting back home in time for a 12 (13 ?) race feast on the Thursday was heaven.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    That Thursday on the course was nuts tho. I remember Fiveforthree winning the Ballymore at 8/1 and literally race after race rolled into one another. It was all a blur.

The Wednesday in town was just lads all trying to kill time drinking pints. There was a riot in Wetherspoons with lads throwing chairs at each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk