Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324

Thread: Novice Hurdlers 2017/2018

Thanks
    Gordon Elliott will wait until nearer the time before deciding which race Samcro will line up in at next month's Punchestown Festival.

The much-vaunted six-year-old maintained his unbeaten record with a clear-cut win in the Ballymore Novices' Hurdle at Cheltenham almost a fortnight ago and is likely to be a warm order in whichever race he contests in County Kildare.

Elliott said: "He's in great form, so he is. He came out of the race very well.

"We were hoping he'd win, but it is Cheltenham and things don't always happen there. Thankfully everything went well, he looks a very good horse and we're very lucky to have him.

"The plan is to go to Punchestown with him, all being well. He'll have a couple of entries, so it's not just finalised which race he's going to run in. We'll make up our minds a bit closer to the time."

Asked whether Samcro would remain over hurdles or embark on a career over fences next season, the trainer told At The Races: "It's still all up in the air. We're still toying with the idea of training him for the Champion Hurdle next year, but nothing is set in concrete yet.

"I'll have to talk to Michael and Eddie (O'Leary). We'll get Punchestown out of the way and make a plan then."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Gigi will hopefully keep that conversation short and send him chasing
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    I'd prefer to see him stay over hurdles for a year.

We moaned about the quality of this year's Champion Hurdle and the apparent lack of opposition to Buveur D'air and it's no wonder when we've seen none of the past five winners of the Supreme stay over hurdles the following year and you have to go all the way back to Faugheen's Neptune win for the last winner of that race to meaningfully contest hurdle races the next season (Windsor Park had one attempt where he trailed in last).

Indeed if it wasn't for Buveur D'air being switched back to hurdles himself we'd have had a couple of shite Champion Hurdles.

He can go chasing the following year
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post
    I'd prefer to see him stay over hurdles for a year.

We moaned about the quality of this year's Champion Hurdle and the apparent lack of opposition to Buveur D'air and it's no wonder when we've seen none of the past five winners of the Supreme stay over hurdles the following year and you have to go all the way back to Faugheen's Neptune win for the last winner of that race to meaningfully contest hurdle races the next season (Windsor Park had one attempt where he trailed in last).

Indeed if it wasn't for Buveur D'air being switched back to hurdles himself we'd have had a couple of shite Champion Hurdles.

He can go chasing the following year
    Flip side of that Wilson is that none of the winners of the 3 novice chases at this years festival came from the supreme or Neptune either though.

Thanks
    Assuming he's good enough to win the CH - what would the last winner to go chasing have been?

Thanks
    i'd be surprised if he stays over timber. it's not the gigginstown MO.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simmo View Post
    Assuming he's good enough to win the CH - what would the last winner to go chasing have been?
    rock on ruby

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Handful View Post
    Flip side of that Wilson is that none of the winners of the 3 novice chases at this years festival came from the supreme or Neptune either though.
    I wouldn't say it was the flip side DH, rather I'd say it adds more weight behind staying over hurdles for another year. Both Footpad and Presenting Percy had the experience of another year over hurdles following their juvenile/novice campaigns.

Simmo makes a good point about Champion Hurdle winner not tending to have the same level of success over fences but for the majority, such as Rock on Ruby, fences are an afterthought when they're no longer quick enough to win a Champion Hurdle.

Samcro would be different in that the Champion Hurdle - win or lose - would most definitely be a stepping stone.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Samcro needs to improve quite a bit to be talking Champion Hurdle but I would hope they take the chance and go for it.

He has a lot more going for him than the Supreme winner I imagine Melon might go chasing and we have seen the last of Faugheen in the race.

Seems crazy not to give it a go with only one horse to beat....I was slightly disappointed in him as he never exactly flew up the hill but that was just immaturity
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Fences fences fences. Will be a huge change in the gigi approach for him not to.
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done