Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Novice Hurdlers 2017/2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would agree with that, DH. Hopefully no ill-effects from his fall at Leopardstown.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Don;t think will see Getabird until March Shane
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Novice hurdlers are not my thing betting wise and as such and being pressed for time I haven't read through this thread. I have however this morning started to look through the races and have attempted to form some sort of opinion on the festival races and started to write them up for my place. I thought I'd share it over here although the opinions probably aren't worth the cyber paper they are written on you can take it as you like.

For now I think its best to keep these on one thread as who knows where what is running. This includes

Tuesday - Supreme Novices 2m
    Wednesday - Ballymore 2m5f
    Friday - Albert Bartlett/ Spa Hurdle or as I like to call it the potato race 3m

I don't mind admitting that for me its a bit of a guessing game with these novices. Its an area I have to try and improve on a bit if not from a punting point of view as I don't have to bet in a novices hurdle for the rest of my life if I choose not to do so. Certainly though from a knowledge point of view and lets face it most novice hurdlers will end up handicapping which is more my area so if I can learn to get some sort of handle on how good they are it might prove valuable for the following season.

That said whilst you don't have to bet in every race at the festival by any means lets face it the majority of us will like a bit of interest at least in most of the races so I'm going to at least try and have something in them that rather than a last minute guess or backing somebody elses opinion that I've read I'll try and put some thought into it and try to find something at a price early on which I may have already done.

Why is it such a guessing game for me ? Well I feel there is never much in the way of form to go on. Most of the form that we can use will basically be run at a slow pace on bad ground and by the time we get to the festival the likely hood is that most of these horses will face a proper gallop for the first time and it will usually be on a better surface rendering most of the seasons form irrelevant. That said I'm going to try and have a look at things from a pace angle using Topspeed as a guide and I'll start off with the Supreme to put some figures in context for the later races.

Supreme best Topspeeds thus far.

Get a bird 131
    Sommerville Boy 127
    Mengli Kahn 126
    Kalasnikov 122
    Apples Shakira 121
    Slate House 121
    Claimantakinforgan 117

So a little admission as I'm unfortunately not managing to post every ante-post bet I have or rather I haven't had time to do so and write up reasoning but I had a spare 20 in my Ladbrokes account and looking for something to double up last week with Call me a lord 16/1 for the Betfair I tried to sneakily get an interest in this and doubled him with Mengli Kahn at 10's. As he was running in the Moscow Flyer novices at Punchestown at the weekend I thought if he won that with a penalty then he'd be a very short price for this which was sound enough reasoning but he's been completely dismantled by Getabird and as such is freely available at 20's now so that's one I've cocked up already but that said I think a 9L second giving 6lb away might not be far away from being second best for the supreme anyway.

Last 5 Supreme winners figures leading into Cheltenham and Supreme figure in brackets.

Labaik 93, 109 (refused to race 3 times) (144)
    Altior 102,108,99,138 (152)
    Douvan 101,106 (148)
    Vautour 121,103 (150)
    Champange Fever 75,131 (154) Probably form wise one of the strongest Supremes of my lifetime.

Now looking at Getabirds 131 on only his second start over hurdles it looks good. It looks even better when you watch the race and the manner he achieved it. He's been cut to 3/1 generally which I think looks more than fair. Looking at the way he ran I can't see he has any other option than to run in this and I think its quite possible he'll be a very short favourite on the day. That said I'm not one for punting 3/1 pokes ante post especially as there is plenty of time for something else to emerge but I'm certainly in no rush to be taking him on.

So we move on to the Ballymore and this is where I've found something of interest.

When putting the figures in order for this I got a similar list to what we'd seen in the supreme as most are entered for everything at this point. So Get a bird tops the charts again and S.boy is there too along with Slate house. Sandwiched in the middle are two horses, Poetic Rhythm (who I'm sure I've heard fergal say is likely to go for the potato race) and Count Meribel. Both might be horses to keep an eye on for the future but right at this moment I'm not interested in either. Samcro is a warm order for this and falls into the bracket of could be anything, unbeaten and doing what he wants in regards destroying anything he comes up against but he's languishing a fair way down on figures with his 2 races over timber scoring 108 and 106 on topspeed. That I'm sure is not a any reflection on his overall ability but it also says if I'm going to take one on I don't mind finding something to give him a run for his money at a price.

Black op What a wonderful name for a start off with a project like this . On TS figures he scores 116 for his last effort with in context of what we are seeing novices produce this early that's not bad. If we look into him a bit deeper though I think he becomes more of an interest. That figure was recorded at Doncaster on his latest effort only his second start over hurdles and his first at the trip of 2m5f he was 1/3 shot and expected to score in the fashion that he did so I suppose that's why there has been little response in the Ante-post markets. He was well beaten on seasonal debut but that was over 2 miles so is excusable first time up. At Doncaster over a more reasonable trip he cut out his own running and was fairly messy at a few of his hurdles but looked to be getting better the further he went. At one point turning for home he didn't look as if he'd win all that far but again the further he went the better he got and really asserted after the last and was eased down winning by 17L with an officially rated 119 horse beaten 21 lengths in third. All things considered there was plenty of room for improvement in all area's but I feel that figure of 116 which isn't bad looks like a decent standard from which to improve upon.

Its one thing doing it on the soft but how does he cope with better ground ? Well he ran in 2 bumpers on good ground last term. He won one beating one of the leading Supreme hopes Claimfukting ( whatever) and he ran respectably in another where admittedly that one reversed form of sort behind a host of others who are fairly useful. I'm not too concerned about bumper form as quite obviously Black op to my eye is going to be a stayer in time but winning a bumper on good ground against horses who are no mugs over a trip that would be too short for him would say to me that he handles a better surface at the very least.

How to bet him then ? Well I have to admit I've reigned myself in a bit as sometimes I can get carried away with what is and experimental idea. I've looked at the betting options and the firms aren't giving too much away. He's about 20/1 25/1 with NRNB firms for the Ballymore and the Albert Bartlett and perhaps 66/1 with SJ for the one and 50/1 with somebody else for the AB with proper Ante-post terms. If I were certain he'd be aimed at the Ballymore then 66/1 e/w would be a steal. However he's won a ptp over 3 mile and although I'm not the best judge of a horses make up when watching him at Doncaster It wouldn't surprise me to hear Tom George utter those words he'll make a better chaser. With that and given the way he stayed on at Donny I can't rule him out for the potato race.

In the end I've decided to take a look on the machine which really told me nothing about his intended target as he was over a 100's on both markets. So for £20 a tenner on each race I can return over a grand even after commission which is basically just over 50/1 for him to win either race. So that's what I've done just a small layout and I'll just be keeping an eye out for a) his progress over the coming weeks. b) any opportunity to back him NRNB or in his prep races at a price.

Worth keeping an eye on though lads IMO.
    Last edited by broadsword; Today at 11:21 AM.
    Last edited by Danny; 15th January 2018 at 1:26 PM.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (15th January 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    I'd be very wary about relying on Topspeed, Danny.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Tbh Des I wouldn't rely on it heavily for anything. Being clueless regards punting novices I've just used it as a rough guide tbh to try and form some sort of opinion. Its led me to Black op at a price but I haven't just punted him on a Topspeed figure he's stuck twenty lengths on a 119 rated rival as he liked on his first real try at a suitable trip. His overall profile looks like he could make up into a decent hurdler and as said its a bit of an experimental poke at a price just for a bit of interest more than anything. Only really shared it over here as I thought people might give me a bit of feedback that i can learn from. Over 50/1 to win either race to me looks a fair bet at this stage even with little to go on or little confidence in the method.

Should just add Des that I had a little go at rating myself with a little help from EC1 who used to post on here. Just mucking about on the All weather really and found figures I was producing although not the same were correlating to some degree with Dave Edwards ( I take it he still does Topspeed ) so I thought they were a decent guide. Although my general opinion on using them for jumps racing is that a lot of the time they are going to be heavily effected by the jog and sprint nature of the races so in the main overall times are utterly useless surely a fast overall time is still a sign of ability ?

I'd be interested Des in any insight you could pass on although i realise its a subject that can be discussed until the end of time if one wished to do so.

Should just add aswell I'm aware EC1 had a bit of beef with a few posters on here although I don't really know who or what the content was. He was very helpful to me for which I was grateful and I always had thought of him as somebody I could learn from and generally a decent chap. Unfortunately though after some bizarre behaviour a side which I'd never seen he also left our forum and I'm no longer in touch. So I'd just like to make it clear that I'm in no way shape or form here to get involved in any shenanigans that have gone on in the past. I just like to keep it friendly and talk horses if that's alright.
    Last edited by Danny; 15th January 2018 at 3:00 PM. Reason: A plea to the NH lads please don't lynch me for all weather speed rating talk..I'm already regretting my ridiculous actions

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (15th January 2018)

Thanks
    Looking forward to seeing Kupatana tomorrow at Newbury in the 3.30. Hendersons Mares Novice horse this year I’m told and goes very well at home.

Invested some of the Brewinupastorm winnings into the 2/1 tomorrow with B365 and a dabble ew at 16s for the festival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Sayar definitely won't be making Cheltenham according to Kevin Blake, having visited the Mullins yard.

May be ready for Punchestown.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Cheers Grass I thought that must have been the case its just I recall something from a few years back can't recall the horse but he was still eligible for novice races having seemed to be around for yonks but I'm guessing that would have been because he hadn't won in his first season. .
    This was perhaps the sort of thing I was talking about. Present Man has been entered in The Albert Bartlett trial at Doncaster rather than take his chance in Skybet Chase. His novice hurdling career seems and age ago but he didn't win. He won a novice in his prep this season though.

Thanks
    My festival dark horse Black op entered for the Ballymore trial as well so hope springs eternal. Snaffled another couple of quid on both festival races at 200's+ but a couple of quid was all that was available.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    First Flow looked a nice horse with lots of guts on Saturday

What was refreshing to me at least, is that rather than having a sole focus on Cheltenham, Kim Bailey said it's likely the last time we see the horse this season and he will be primed for the Dublin Racing Festival as his principal target in 2019
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    First Flow looked a nice horse with lots of guts on Saturday

What was refreshing to me at least, is that rather than having a sole focus on Cheltenham, Kim Bailey said it's likely the last time we see the horse this season and he will be primed for the Dublin Racing Festival as his principal target in 2019
    Yeah agree with that Granger commented similar over my place.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Novice hurdlers are not my thing betting wise and as such and being pressed for time I haven't read through this thread. I have however this morning started to look through the races and have attempted to form some sort of opinion on the festival races and started to write them up for my place. I thought I'd share it over here although the opinions probably aren't worth the cyber paper they are written on you can take it as you like.

For now I think its best to keep these on one thread as who knows where what is running. This includes

Tuesday - Supreme Novices 2m
    Wednesday - Ballymore 2m5f
    Friday - Albert Bartlett/ Spa Hurdle or as I like to call it the potato race 3m

I don't mind admitting that for me its a bit of a guessing game with these novices. Its an area I have to try and improve on a bit if not from a punting point of view as I don't have to bet in a novices hurdle for the rest of my life if I choose not to do so. Certainly though from a knowledge point of view and lets face it most novice hurdlers will end up handicapping which is more my area so if I can learn to get some sort of handle on how good they are it might prove valuable for the following season.

That said whilst you don't have to bet in every race at the festival by any means lets face it the majority of us will like a bit of interest at least in most of the races so I'm going to at least try and have something in them that rather than a last minute guess or backing somebody elses opinion that I've read I'll try and put some thought into it and try to find something at a price early on which I may have already done.

Why is it such a guessing game for me ? Well I feel there is never much in the way of form to go on. Most of the form that we can use will basically be run at a slow pace on bad ground and by the time we get to the festival the likely hood is that most of these horses will face a proper gallop for the first time and it will usually be on a better surface rendering most of the seasons form irrelevant. That said I'm going to try and have a look at things from a pace angle using Topspeed as a guide and I'll start off with the Supreme to put some figures in context for the later races.

Supreme best Topspeeds thus far.

Get a bird 131
    Sommerville Boy 127
    Mengli Kahn 126
    Kalasnikov 122
    Apples Shakira 121
    Slate House 121
    Claimantakinforgan 117

So a little admission as I'm unfortunately not managing to post every ante-post bet I have or rather I haven't had time to do so and write up reasoning but I had a spare 20 in my Ladbrokes account and looking for something to double up last week with Call me a lord 16/1 for the Betfair I tried to sneakily get an interest in this and doubled him with Mengli Kahn at 10's. As he was running in the Moscow Flyer novices at Punchestown at the weekend I thought if he won that with a penalty then he'd be a very short price for this which was sound enough reasoning but he's been completely dismantled by Getabird and as such is freely available at 20's now so that's one I've cocked up already but that said I think a 9L second giving 6lb away might not be far away from being second best for the supreme anyway.

Last 5 Supreme winners figures leading into Cheltenham and Supreme figure in brackets.

Labaik 93, 109 (refused to race 3 times) (144)
    Altior 102,108,99,138 (152)
    Douvan 101,106 (148)
    Vautour 121,103 (150)
    Champange Fever 75,131 (154) Probably form wise one of the strongest Supremes of my lifetime.

Now looking at Getabirds 131 on only his second start over hurdles it looks good. It looks even better when you watch the race and the manner he achieved it. He's been cut to 3/1 generally which I think looks more than fair. Looking at the way he ran I can't see he has any other option than to run in this and I think its quite possible he'll be a very short favourite on the day. That said I'm not one for punting 3/1 pokes ante post especially as there is plenty of time for something else to emerge but I'm certainly in no rush to be taking him on.

So we move on to the Ballymore and this is where I've found something of interest.

When putting the figures in order for this I got a similar list to what we'd seen in the supreme as most are entered for everything at this point. So Get a bird tops the charts again and S.boy is there too along with Slate house. Sandwiched in the middle are two horses, Poetic Rhythm (who I'm sure I've heard fergal say is likely to go for the potato race) and Count Meribel. Both might be horses to keep an eye on for the future but right at this moment I'm not interested in either. Samcro is a warm order for this and falls into the bracket of could be anything, unbeaten and doing what he wants in regards destroying anything he comes up against but he's languishing a fair way down on figures with his 2 races over timber scoring 108 and 106 on topspeed. That I'm sure is not a any reflection on his overall ability but it also says if I'm going to take one on I don't mind finding something to give him a run for his money at a price.

Black op What a wonderful name for a start off with a project like this . On TS figures he scores 116 for his last effort with in context of what we are seeing novices produce this early that's not bad. If we look into him a bit deeper though I think he becomes more of an interest. That figure was recorded at Doncaster on his latest effort only his second start over hurdles and his first at the trip of 2m5f he was 1/3 shot and expected to score in the fashion that he did so I suppose that's why there has been little response in the Ante-post markets. He was well beaten on seasonal debut but that was over 2 miles so is excusable first time up. At Doncaster over a more reasonable trip he cut out his own running and was fairly messy at a few of his hurdles but looked to be getting better the further he went. At one point turning for home he didn't look as if he'd win all that far but again the further he went the better he got and really asserted after the last and was eased down winning by 17L with an officially rated 119 horse beaten 21 lengths in third. All things considered there was plenty of room for improvement in all area's but I feel that figure of 116 which isn't bad looks like a decent standard from which to improve upon.

Its one thing doing it on the soft but how does he cope with better ground ? Well he ran in 2 bumpers on good ground last term. He won one beating one of the leading Supreme hopes Claimfukting ( whatever) and he ran respectably in another where admittedly that one reversed form of sort behind a host of others who are fairly useful. I'm not too concerned about bumper form as quite obviously Black op to my eye is going to be a stayer in time but winning a bumper on good ground against horses who are no mugs over a trip that would be too short for him would say to me that he handles a better surface at the very least.

How to bet him then ? Well I have to admit I've reigned myself in a bit as sometimes I can get carried away with what is and experimental idea. I've looked at the betting options and the firms aren't giving too much away. He's about 20/1 25/1 with NRNB firms for the Ballymore and the Albert Bartlett and perhaps 66/1 with SJ for the one and 50/1 with somebody else for the AB with proper Ante-post terms. If I were certain he'd be aimed at the Ballymore then 66/1 e/w would be a steal. However he's won a ptp over 3 mile and although I'm not the best judge of a horses make up when watching him at Doncaster It wouldn't surprise me to hear Tom George utter those words he'll make a better chaser. With that and given the way he stayed on at Donny I can't rule him out for the potato race.

In the end I've decided to take a look on the machine which really told me nothing about his intended target as he was over a 100's on both markets. So for £20 a tenner on each race I can return over a grand even after commission which is basically just over 50/1 for him to win either race. So that's what I've done just a small layout and I'll just be keeping an eye out for a) his progress over the coming weeks. b) any opportunity to back him NRNB or in his prep races at a price.

Worth keeping an eye on though lads IMO.
    Last edited by broadsword; Today at 11:21 AM.
    Although I'm bashing my head up a brick wall atm as I'd backed him today...that didn't look half bad.
    Last edited by Danny; 27th January 2018 at 4:20 PM.

Thanks
    Samcro skips the easier 2m6f on the Saturday so must be due to run in the Deloitte against Sharjah and co.

Get in there, that will make things interesting.

Thanks
    Personally am gutted as he would have been one of the highlights on Saturday and Sunday's going to be spent taxiing sprogs about...

Thanks
    Just read the Ballymore is still very much his festival target...

Thanks
    .....unless he bolts up in the Deloitte according to Elliott. Then the Supreme will come under strong consideration. They didn’t want to give him a tough slog on softish ground 5 weeks out from the festival.

Hope they’re not regretting this in the same way they were with Death Duty tho Samcro seems to have a lot more gears than him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I've taken 12s for the Supreme to bits and pieces. Expect to lose it without a run for my money but I reckon the chances of him lining up are better than the disparity between the 3/1 NRNB and 12/1 AP prices.
    Last edited by wilsonl; 1st February 2018 at 1:35 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Entries for the Supreme

Prob easier to read this

https://www.irishracing.com/card?rac...d=201803131330
    Last edited by Diamond Geezer; 1st February 2018 at 2:15 PM.

Thanks
    Last edited by Diamond Geezer; 1st February 2018 at 2:16 PM.

Thanks