Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 273233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Novice Chasers 2017/2018

Thanks
    Thanked 3,497 Times in 2,754 Posts
    Watching that Warwick race, I really, honestly and truly do not think the calibre of opposition is relevant to the pace SC goes.

He'd have Sprinter Sacre out of his comfort zone
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Watching that Warwick race, I really, honestly and truly do not think the calibre of opposition is relevant to the pace SC goes.

Maybe im missing the hype on this fellow but I just don't see it at all
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Ironically Saint Calvados is the one that I worry most about over the Cheltenham fences. To my eye he's quite flat and an accident waiting to happen. Footpad varies between solid and very good which is perfect for a novice two miler. I don't share the concerns of others over Petit Mouchoir. He jumped very well on his chase debut at Punchestown I thought, and after his spell on the sidelines he was just too fresh at Leopardstown which was the reason he clouted the first two. His jumping after that was good for a novice I thought,and he'll have learned more from his mistakes than the other two have so far in their short novice careers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post

That's what they said about Sanctuaire !

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Colin Tizzard

There’s a good chance Finian's Oscar will wear cheekpieces at Cheltenham and he is working nicely at home. “He is almost the forgotten horse, don't rule him out of the JLT, he has turned the corner.”

Thanks
    What corner is this - learning to jump?
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post
    Look at Azertyuiop when faced with both Moscow and Well Chief in the QMCC.
    Can't agree that's fair, Wilsonl. Azertyuiop went on to win the QMCC the year after he won the Arkle. And while fully acknowledging Moscow fell, he still won.

The race you're talking about was a year later when Azertyuiop was 3rd to Moscow and Well Chief. He made a horrendous mistake at the water, but that was halfway through the race and was a random mistake that could have been made at any stage of his career (let's not forget Moscow made his fair share too). I don't think it's comparable to say he made that mistake because he couldn't go the pace over the first 3 fences with Moscow & Chief, like people are suggesting could happen PM v Footpad & SC above.

Remember 'THAT' famous tingle Creek was only 3 months before that and that race and the result and finishing distances is where I have always ranked them. Moscow was 2 lengths better than both of them and I've always believed that Azertyuiop was always a shd better than Chief, in his prime. Even though chief went on to beat Az twice more after that, Az was past his best, even as 8yo and retired thereafter.

While I'm ranting, it still annoys me that Azertyuiop went for that King George in between Tingle Creek 2004 and QMCC 2005. I've always maintained he was never as good over 2m after that King George. In effect it ruined him and that's why he wasn't as good over 2m as an 8yo as be Shoud/could have been.

What a time it was for the 2mile division. Great memories.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Double Handful For This Useful Post:

Danny (8th March 2018)

Thanks
    I'm not suggesting Azertyuiop couldn't go the pace at all DH - he was a superb horse, what I'm saying is a horse can make a mistake at a fence in most 2m chases throughout the season but I've seen many times that if a horse make one in the Arkle or Queen Mum it's near impossible to get back into the race because the pace tends to be relentless.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Correct.

The beauty of 2 mile juggernauts. Make an error and your race is goosed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Correct.

The beauty of 2 mile juggernauts. Make an error and your race is goosed.
    Agreed 2 mile championship chases are the best IMO.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's been sustained money for Brain Power the last 2-3 days, and he's still shortening.

He must be working the house down, considering he comes in here on the back of a UR and a Fall.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    I can see the logic. If the front three go balls out he could hunt round (sort of) and pick up the pieces. Wouldn't be a surprise if at least one of said front three doesn't make it round so there is an ew angle in play.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    There's been sustained money for Brain Power the last 2-3 days, and he's still shortening.

He must be working the house down, considering he comes in here on the back of a UR and a Fall.
    He’s always been one of the best work horses in the yard so no big surprise there. Himself & Charli Parcs the only 2 able to go with Altior & Buv at home.

He’s coming here on the back of a wind op too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    There seems to be a growing belief among the general betting public that Footpad is vulnerable. (Not one I necessarily share).

Every preview night I've seen or read snippets of, it appears to be a general consensus.

This must be contributing to his ease in the market and in turn the others shortening. Basically the vast majority are all of a sudden looking to take him on.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    People want to be clever and find a way to take-on the jolly. Sometimes, the reasons are legit, and sometimes less legit.

Suggesting Footpad is vulnerable, is not legit. If he runs his race, he wins, imo.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 8th March 2018 at 1:53 PM.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Everyone wants a headline or an angle - i love twitter but by jesus it gives a voice to every village idiot

Footpad doesnt give a sh*te what the internet has to say about him

I hope the sheep flock to this angle of him being vulnerable mind

Anyone who has seen him jump a fence this year and hasn't been impressed, needs removal of the blinkers or a new hobby

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post

The same tripe was being peddled about Charli Parcs before the Triumph last year. He may be working well at home but we know what he is by now and that’s not a grade 1 animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's maybe a little early, to be judging him quite so harshly.

Brain Power was rated in the same ball-park as both Petit Mouchoir and Footpad over hurdles, and it's a bit rapid to be writing him off as completely open-book, after only three starts in chases.

Has does have it all to do though.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Suggesting Footpad isn't vulnerable is crazy. He has two highly credible challengers, and I suspect Petit Mouchoir in particular may well beat him if his jumping stands up okay. A repeat of his first chase alone would possibly be good enough.

I agree that the money for Brain Power is in the hope that they go too fast, cut each other's throats, and the race falls apart. I couldn't back him with someone else's money.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,497 Times in 2,754 Posts
    Yes, my gut instinct is that Petit Mouchoir has been sizing Footpad up ahead of the race that counts. That little contest on its own is intriguing enough.

Then there's Saint Calvados who might just blitz them both. Or not, as the case may be.

Brain Power did seem genuinely regarded as a serious Champion Hurdle hope lst season and Hendo has said more than once he did too much chasing the pace.

These good hurdlers are all entitled to be better over fences assuming they take to them, so if they're all mid-160s over hurdles they could be mid 170s over fences. What a race that would create if they all did so.

(But Saint Calvados might just be in a different league )
    Illegitimi non carborundum