Page 36 of 45 FirstFirst ... 263132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Novice Chasers 2017/2018

Thanks
    Sceau Royal out injured
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Takes away from the race a little but has helped in resolving my decision making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I thought it was closer than the betting suggested I consider it a huge loss DJ must be sick as a parrot....
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Dounikos RSA bound. Jury Duty & Fagan 4 mile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    As the meeting looms, I'm more and more coming round to the idea that maybe - just maybe - Saint Calvados is going to put up a jaw-dropping performance in the Arkle.

I do believe that if he were trained by Mullins, Elliott or Henderson he'd be shorter than Footpad currently is.

If it turns out Cheltenham isn't his course, so be it, but I'm still struggling to get over that Warwick performance.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    If he was trained by one of the big three though he'd have had a totally different campaign, certainly wouldn't have been in novice handicaps.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Warwick performance was indeed very smart, and people rightly enthused about his jumping.

Where people are going off-piste with this horse (I mean idiots like Kealy on Preview nights, rather than you ), is that they think he will put Footpad's jumping "under pressure".......which rather ignores the fact that Footpad has been foot-perfect since he went chasing, and has been doing it in a higher-grade than Saint Calvados. He was also a much better hurdler than Saint Calvados (to the tune of a stone).

Some are predicting SC and PM will exploit the weaknesses in Footpad. I see no weaknesses ( he is as good-jumoing a novice-chaser as I've seen since Remittance Man), and he is going to take all the beating, imo.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Some stats re Footpad : 0/5 during March and April, 0/2 at Cheltenham on top of which has jumped too many hurdle races, 15 in total, I think the previous highest before winning a chase was 13. The thing behind that is horses get used to flicking through hurdles, he won't flick many fences at Cheltenham. All that said you can see why he's favourite.
    Last edited by Diamond Geezer; 7th March 2018 at 1:33 PM.

Thanks
    If any horse's jumping will be put under pressure it'll be Petit Mouchoir's. He might have been out a while but he was awful over the first few at Leopardstown.

Wasn't a great over his hurdles either and it's a two horse race for me but Footpad to have too much class for Saint Calvedos.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I like Saint Calvados and he could be anything. He was scary last time and he has me worried for a few of my AP accies and I bet I am not the only one.

If I were trying to console anyone I would say the difference between getting a soft lead and running ordinary horses into the ground is a universe away from running in an Arkle

BUT this horse may have trekky warp speed up his sleeve and if he gets a soft lead in the Arkle I can see a lot of AP in panic mode looking to cash out.

I am not convinced Footpad is as good as some think......never rocked my boat over hurdles as much as Petit Mouchoir did.

Lotta money coming for Brain Power which is surprising
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    not likely to get a soft lead is he with footpad and petit mouchoir in the race

Thanks
    Saint Calvados certainly adds another dimension to this race.

Thanks
    The thing, for me, about SC is that it's not about a soft lead.

It's almost certain he will go off at a clip. I'm not sure anything else will be able to go the clop.

I have this vision of him doing a Sprinter Sacre and having everything, including Footpad and Petit Mouchoir - for which I do have really smart figures - out of their comfort zone.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    A 143 rated hurdler is not going to get animals like Footpad and Petit Mouchoir - who were both a stone and more better - out of their comfort zone, I don't reckon.

If there were holes in the jumping of Footpad and/or Petit Mouchoir, then I might be inclined to agree with you..........but there aren't.........and Saint Calvados is facing horses that are in a different league altogether, from the ones he has been cuffing round gaff tracks.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Normally I'd agree 100% with you, GH.

Sprinter Sacre couldn't win a novice hurdle at the festival, though.

Thanks
    I agree with what you say about Footpad, Grass, I don't see how he can be knocked. But as wilsonl says, Petit Mouchoir didn't jump well the last day and to me he doesn't look a natural over fences.

Thanks
    I've a gut feeling Petit Mouchoir won't play too much of a part in the race for long. Most mistakes in the 2m championship chases; i.e. the Arkle and QMCC aren't recovered from and he's going to face a stern test jumping fences at speed.

Look at Azertyuiop when faced with both Moscow and Well Chief in the QMCC.
    Last edited by wilsonl; 7th March 2018 at 3:06 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post

True....though the Aeroplane did finish 3rd in what is widely-regarded as the best Supreme Novices of all time.......which is a little different to being beaten 25L by (an admittedly brilliant) French 4yo mare!

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post

True but he had a wind op after the race as AP said he was struggling in the final furlong - coming off the bend he looked like he would win a minute.

Arkle on the other hand was not a useful hurdler but stones better over fences.
    Last edited by Ardross; 7th March 2018 at 3:21 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I agree with what you say about Footpad, Grass, I don't see how he can be knocked. But as wilsonl says, Petit Mouchoir didn't jump well the last day and to me he doesn't look a natural over fences.

PM jumped great in his Beginners Chase before his set-back, and I'd be very-much inclined to forgive him those early errors at Leopardstown. I would agree, however, that he is much the more likely of the pair to have his jumping "put under pressure" by Saint Calvados........assuming Saint Calvados is able to travel and jump as easy, in against much better horses than he has faced to-date.

SlimChance, March 2018